Canadian federal polling division files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 167893 times)
edmundcjoconnor
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »

How do tower block polls appear on the map? Do they at all? I say this because I've got a strong suspicion the NDP won a few towers in Etobicoke North.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »

How do tower block polls appear on the map? Do they at all? I say this because I've got a strong suspicion the NDP won a few towers in Etobicoke North.

It appears as though they dont, unless it's a poll with more than one apartment, or if the apartment is next to a large park or something.

St. John's would be interesting now.

Although I don't know if a deep enough orange exists for St. John's East …

A better one would be for St. John's South-Mount Pearl and of course, Avalon. I'm interested in which communities stayed Conservative this time 'round and which swung Liberal.

Well, hell, what about one for the whole island? I'd like to start some gerrymandered maps Cheesy
edmundcjoconnor
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »

It appears as though they dont, unless it's a poll with more than one apartment, or if the apartment is next to a large park or something.

Drat. I suspected that might be the case.
the506
Canada

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2009, 02:38:02 PM by the506 »

Yeah...those tower blocks (poll #s in the 400s) are a seperate file that I haven't bothered with yet.

Here's a very interesting riding that (I think) hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread...Guelph:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »

an NDP-Green tie? Crazy!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »

Seems like the Greenies won the University and downtown area.
keveh
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »

Wow....I happened on this forum via www.punditsguide.ca as they released this data (something I was looking for awhile now).

I must say, I am super impressed by the quality of maps everyone has produced. I'm in the "GIS-biz"... and have access to high end mapping software and cartography software. It looks like everyone has been able to take a free program and produce quality and informative maps. GIS to the masses! This is seriously awesome.

I put together a couple of maps today for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound (home county).
1) Obvious - who won each poll
2) % of the Green vote (from total) mapped by each poll. (I have connections with the Green candidate so wanted to make this for him).

Large version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_won_poll.jpg

Large Version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_green_vote.jpg
edmundcjoconnor
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »

What's crazier is a Tory-NDP tie. Boy, I wouldn't want to live in THAT neighbourhood. Would make the Hatfields and McCoys look positively civilised, by comparison.
edmundcjoconnor
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »

Yeah...those tower blocks (poll #s in the 400s) are a seperate file that I haven't bothered with yet.

Here's a very interesting riding that (I think) hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread...Guelph:

What's interesting with Guelph is that virtually all the polls were quite or very close. This is a genuine toss-up seat here, folks – flipping between Libs and Tories, and even the Greens, if they're going downhill with a following wind.
edmundcjoconnor
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »

In Guelph, there's four – four! – absolute dead-heat polls, with every major party involved. If this isn't a knife-edge riding, I don't know what is.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

Wow....I happened on this forum via www.punditsguide.ca as they released this data (something I was looking for awhile now).

I must say, I am super impressed by the quality of maps everyone has produced. I'm in the "GIS-biz"... and have access to high end mapping software and cartography software. It looks like everyone has been able to take a free program and produce quality and informative maps. GIS to the masses! This is seriously awesome.

I put together a couple of maps today for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound (home county).
1) Obvious - who won each poll
2) % of the Green vote (from total) mapped by each poll. (I have connections with the Green candidate so wanted to make this for him).

Large version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_won_poll.jpg

Large Version: http://www.kevinhibma.com/maps/2008_green_vote.jpg

Cool, but someone already posted that riding. We didn't get a green % vote though, so that is interesting Smiley

Keep them coming!
the506
Canada

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »

Here are the Windsor ridings...if you need proof that riding boundaries affect how people vote, this is it.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »

I didn't expect to see so many NDP polls in Tecumseh. And the NDP pockets in Essex seem to be random...
Augustus
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »

The colour maps are very interesting.  Smiley I wish things like that had been available during the last election to take a look at.

Does anyone have a map of the Papineau riding in Quebec where the battle between Justin Trudeau and the Bloc Quebecois occurred?  I would be interested to see how it broke down.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »

The colour maps are very interesting.  Smiley I wish things like that had been available during the last election to take a look at.

Does anyone have a map of the Papineau riding in Quebec where the battle between Justin Trudeau and the Bloc Quebecois occurred?  I would be interested to see how it broke down.

There's a map of Montreal a few pages back. It would have Papineau.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2009, 04:45:32 AM »

Since Holmes asked it a few pages ago.

Timmins is in the left strange-shaped arm.

The other one are to the right, on a north-west, south-east axis. A road.
In order, starting at upper right; Cochrane, Iroquois Falls, Kirkland Lake and Englehart.

A 70% NDP color would have been useful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2009, 05:02:27 AM »

I demand the closer North Ontario ridings!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

It's interesting how in Northern Ontario, it is often the large cities that are more right wing than the rural areas, in that they vote Liberal, while the rural areas for NDP. The same is true for Sault. Ste. Marie anyways, and Sudbury. Possibly Thunder Bay as well.
Zebede
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »

Can I see Pontiac ?
Augustus
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »

Yes I think I saw the Montreal map with all the ridings together in a general overview.  I was wondering where I could see one of the riding in detail blown up like some of the other ridings on this thread.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2009, 01:26:06 PM »

Yes I think I saw the Montreal map with all the ridings together in a general overview.  I was wondering where I could see one of the riding in detail blown up like some of the other ridings on this thread.

The image was scaled down a bit. The file itself is a bit bigger. Depending on your eyes, it might be good enough. Not as a big as some here, but big enough to know where the polls are.
the506
Canada

« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »

Pontiac:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »

The NDP won a poll in Wakefield last time, but they lost it. Weird that they won a poll in Angers.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

It's interesting how in Northern Ontario, it is often the large cities that are more right wing than the rural areas, in that they vote Liberal, while the rural areas for NDP. The same is true for Sault. Ste. Marie anyways, and Sudbury. Possibly Thunder Bay as well.

True in Abitibi, too, especially in Val-d'Or, in replacing NDP by the BQ and Liberal by Liberal or Conservative.
the506
Canada

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »

The NDP won a poll in Wakefield last time, but they lost it. Weird that they won a poll in Angers.

They won a poll in Cantley too, you can see it if you pull up the large version.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies