Canadian federal polling division files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:36:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 166982 times)
deansherratt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2009, 07:51:08 AM »

Fantastic map and most interesting election result. This riding went far greater to the Conservatives when its substantial Jewish population swung dramatically to vote for Peter Kent. Many polls were nearly 80% for Kent while the other substantial group, the Italian community, remained quite loyal to the Liberals.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »

In 2008, the Conservatives came mighty close to taking Welland. Their rural strength is obvious but also interesting is a breakthrough in the west side of Welland which tends to be more middle class.

Thorold is an old industrial town which in the period before the 1930s was staunchly Conservative.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

SoFA EarlAW...Are you able to make 2006 maps as easily as 2008? That would form an incredible basis for comparison...
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »

Hey everyone - I finally am able to post maps and celebrated the event by posting a collection of 2007 provincial election maps. These are all hand-done and will look different than the computer generated maps that you have all seen so far...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »

Three (or perhaps rather four, two of them quite close to each other?) urban areas, each of them with an east-west split. Quite an interesting map.

EDIT: Seems that Thorold merges pretty seamlessly into St Catherines, and the NDP area at the far north of the map is in central St Catherines someplace. I suppose we need a combined Welland - St Catherines map now. Smiley

Yeah, I've always found it surprising how weak the NDP is in St. Catharines, considering its significant auto worker presence, and seeing the orange St. Catharines polls in Welland whets my curiosity further. It makes you think the NDP could do a lot better in St. Cats if they got organized.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »

They have had a relevant presence there for decades (except in the 90s of course...) but never broke through to second place. Which means they would have always been hurt by tactical voting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »

SoFA EarlAW...Are you able to make 2006 maps as easily as 2008? That would form an incredible basis for comparison...

That map I had made a few years ago (hence the copyright on it). I found it in an old thread here, actually.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »

Hey everyone - I finally am able to post maps and celebrated the event by posting a collection of 2007 provincial election maps. These are all hand-done and will look different than the computer generated maps that you have all seen so far...

Cool! Is that an NDP poll I see in Ottawa West-Nepean? and an NDP poll near St. Laurent? weird!

I guess all we need is Glengarry-Prescott Russell, and then we would have the whole city there Smiley
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »

The Cumberland polls do trend more PC than the rest of the riding but all in all, the riding is much safer Liberal territory provincially than federally.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:24 PM »

The Cumberland polls do trend more PC than the rest of the riding but all in all, the riding is much safer Liberal territory provincially than federally.

Maps!
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »

The one you spotted was 5 NDP votes, 5 Liberal and 1 PC...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #336 on: August 17, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

Bump. No more maps?
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #337 on: August 18, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »

I have been beavering away at Toronto 1999 (provincial). I have completed two of five panels...the two largest ones.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »

All right, my first effort (sorry about the excess of white space around): Egmont, the first Tory win in PEI for a while. The blow-up on the right is Summerside.

I only made a colour scheme up to 70+, but the one Liberal 70+ poll is actually 90+, that little roundish one in the northeast part of the rural part enclosed by two Liberal 50+ polls. It's a Micmac reserve. Also there was one "void" poll at the south end of Summerside.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »

Quite a strong geographic divide there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »

I met someone from Egmont at the NDP convention. He had a thick PEI accent, and was 18. I was surprised such people exist in PEI.

Interestingly, on a provincial level, the whole riding flipped from 7 tories to 7 grits in the 2007 election. 
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

I've been working on a Hamilton map - but does anyone know how to tell the numbers of polls that have been split? When, say, 156 has been split into 156 and 156-1, the GIS "Identify" function just gives both of them as "156".

If I can't figure this out I'll just guess - it's only a small handful of polls, mainly at the south end of Hamilton Mountain, and you can kind of see what order the polls are numbered in. Plus the split poll often votes the same way as the old poll.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »

I've been working on a Hamilton map - but does anyone know how to tell the numbers of polls that have been split? When, say, 156 has been split into 156 and 156-1, the GIS "Identify" function just gives both of them as "156".

If I can't figure this out I'll just guess - it's only a small handful of polls, mainly at the south end of Hamilton Mountain, and you can kind of see what order the polls are numbered in. Plus the split poll often votes the same way as the old poll.

The second number is written in the field ''PD_NBR_SFX''.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #343 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

The second number is written in the field ''PD_NBR_SFX''.

Great, thanks very much. Got it now.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #344 on: August 27, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2009, 07:45:33 PM by Linus Van Pelt »

Hamilton. All grey ties are Conservative/NDP except that sort of fat "L" shaped one in Ancaster-Dundas-whatchamacallit, which is Liberal/NDP. Also, the way I drew the rectangle accidentally drew in a tiny sliver of Burlington at the north end, but I didn't bother downloading a whole other riding just for that, so it's just white.

edit: something's not working, though I uploaded it to the gallery. Stand by. Fixed - larger version in the gallery.

trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #345 on: August 27, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »

The field EMPR_NAME contains both the Poll Number and the suffix.

I was able to create an additional field that combines the FED_NUM, PD_NUM, and PD_NBR_SFX.
(This will alot easier to link election data and polling maps)

example 35-101-67-1 (Poll # 67-1 in Windsor-Tecumseh)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

Very awesome! Hamilton is an interesting city...
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2009, 10:19:45 AM »

Great maps...and very interesting. Quite a diverse city.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »

Stoney Creek votes Liberal, I see?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #349 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »

I guess the Liberals probably won it, though it's hard to say, since all three parties won a fair number of polls.

Note that the squiggly line that goes down to the corner-like bottom of the riding is an expressway within Hamilton proper, while if you go a little east of there, the Hamilton-Stoney Creek border is the vertical line between the first collection of very Liberal polls and some more blue and orange polls to the east - i.e. the line that goes southward to the suburban part of Niagara West-Glanbrook. Though at the top the border hooks eastward a bit too, so the few NDP polls immediately to the right of the sole Liberal poll on the harbour are also in Hamilton proper.

(This is all pre-amalgamation talk. Now various rural areas are even within the City of Hamilton).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies