Canadian federal polling division files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:59:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 167822 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: November 02, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »

In light of the recent municipal elections as well as the awkwardness of mapping the Ile de Montreal by municipality, anyone want to do a map that also divides Montreal proper into its constituent boroughs?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #626 on: November 02, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »

Blank map:

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #627 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:29 AM »

I apologize in advance for spelling errors, as I'm writing this in notepad, and not chrome.

The strength of the Liberals in Northern Oakville is a bit odd, but I guess Turner had something to do with that.

I'm a bit surprised at how solid central Mississauga is, and how blue the South and West are.

I'm wondering if Peter Kent is Jewish. Most of the blue areas are in and around Bathurst street, known for being jewish. Nothing in the york region surprises me beyond the strength of the Liberals in the urban areas.

PEI does not surprise me. I used to live there remember. The blue area in the middle riding (at the upper left) is the Kensington area, it is in Prince County (as is Egmont, the riding the Tories won) and hence this part of the riding is much closer to Egmont. Given that, I'm not surprised the Tories won here given they won Egmont. The Liberal strength in Cardigan is a bit more surprising, and I think it has to do with the Local Candidate.

Calgary is boring. I do wish, however, to point out how much 'brighter' blue certain ridigns are. West, East, the two Centre ridings, and the Northwest. Ignore all the red - its just a huge empty poll.

In Quebec. The uniformity of the Bloc win is something that is unique to the party. Condo or Farm, City or Town, Old ot Young, Man or Woman, support for the Bloc does not vary much. I am though surprised at how much support the Liberals have in Brossard
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #628 on: November 03, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »

I apologize in advance for spelling errors, as I'm writing this in notepad, and not chrome.

The strength of the Liberals in Northern Oakville is a bit odd, but I guess Turner had something to do with that.

I'm a bit surprised at how solid central Mississauga is, and how blue the South and West are.

I'm wondering if Peter Kent is Jewish. Most of the blue areas are in and around Bathurst street, known for being jewish. Nothing in the york region surprises me beyond the strength of the Liberals in the urban areas.

PEI does not surprise me. I used to live there remember. The blue area in the middle riding (at the upper left) is the Kensington area, it is in Prince County (as is Egmont, the riding the Tories won) and hence this part of the riding is much closer to Egmont. Given that, I'm not surprised the Tories won here given they won Egmont. The Liberal strength in Cardigan is a bit more surprising, and I think it has to do with the Local Candidate.

Calgary is boring. I do wish, however, to point out how much 'brighter' blue certain ridigns are. West, East, the two Centre ridings, and the Northwest. Ignore all the red - its just a huge empty poll.

In Quebec. The uniformity of the Bloc win is something that is unique to the party. Condo or Farm, City or Town, Old ot Young, Man or Woman, support for the Bloc does not vary much. I am though surprised at how much support the Liberals have in Brossard

Northern Oakville unlike Northern Burlington has always been more Liberal than the southern part.  Most of it is built up so very little farmland and also it is more middle class.  The Southern parts, especially near the lake tend to be more affluent, thus the Conservative strength.  It is true the Liberals did well amongst the wealthy in the 90s, but that was when the Reform/Alliance were seen as a little too extreme (most wealthy are educated too) and also they balanced the budget and reduced taxes, thus were centre-right in many ways, whereas now it is hard to tell where they are and some even suspect they would take a more activist approach.

In the case of Mississauga, asides from Mississauga South, my guess, although I could be wrong is the Tory polls are the predominately WASP areas whereas the Liberals did better in areas with large immigrant and visible minority communities. 

In the case of Thornhill, Peter Kent was not Jewish, but the Tories strong pro-Israel stances likely played a role here.  You can also see the same thing in certain parts of York Centre and Eglinton-Lawrence which were the Tories two best ridings in the 416.  Mind you, it was more the orthodox Jews that went massively Conservative, the liberal ones mostly went liberal as was the case in Willowdale and St. Paul's. 
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #629 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2009, 11:54:00 AM by Linus Van Pelt »

In the case of Mississauga, asides from Mississauga South, my guess, although I could be wrong is the Tory polls are the predominately WASP areas whereas the Liberals did better in areas with large immigrant and visible minority communities.  

The Liberal parts of Mississauga South are basically white working-class (though not poor) areas - in the west is the old town of Clarkson which is the traditional bedroom community for Oakville Ford Assembly across the city line, and the eastern end bordering Etobicoke is sort of Continental/white/Catholic - Portuguese, Polish etc. (though like Woodbridge for the Italians, mostly a bit younger and more affluent than those who still live in the original European-immigrant areas on the west side of Toronto proper.)

Edit: Ayah, Linus, read: yes, you said "aside from Mississauga South", not "in" it. So let's just say my post complements yours rather than correcting it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #630 on: November 03, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »

White working-class but probably white-ethnic working-class (Portuguese, Eastern European, Italian) rather than white English working-class, no?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #631 on: November 03, 2009, 08:23:03 PM »

I'd heard Peter Kent is Jewish, and that was from someone on his campaign team.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #632 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »

I'd heard Peter Kent is Jewish, and that was from someone on his campaign team.

He doesn't look like a Jew.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »

I don't think Peter Kent is Jewish.  He is very pro-Israel, but there are many non-Jewish who are quite pro-Israel on foreign policy.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »

Yeah, I was wrong, he's not Jewish. My friend was responsible for running the campaign to convince Jewish voters to support him, though.
adma
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »

Through his Global TV associations (the Asper family et al), Peter Kent might as well be "Jewish by proxy".
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #636 on: November 07, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »

Anybody have the Durham Regional Municipality as that would be interesting.  Also Kingston (and also include the Islands) would be good, while Peterborough, just the city only.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #637 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:36 PM »

Any more requests for maps by municipality or region.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #638 on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »

Any more requests for maps by municipality or region.

Do you have BC by municipality?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #639 on: November 16, 2009, 08:35:02 PM »

If somebody could supply me with a map, I could try giving it a go, but might be tough as much of BC is unincorporate territory.  After all the large swaths of the province that are completely uninhabited, whereas in the Maritimes, St. Lawrence Valley, and Southern Ontario that is not the case.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #640 on: December 20, 2009, 06:08:20 PM »

I have seen it as part of a Toronto west, centre and east maps but not as a whole.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #641 on: December 29, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »

It would be good to see the Durham Regional Municipality.  In addition, Kingston would be a city I would like to see.  Likewise I wouldn't mind seeing the by-election poll results once they are available.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #642 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »

bump - Sarnia-Lambton, except for the outer rural parts. There's one Liberal poll downtown - sorry, I realize the pink/orange contrast isn't great with polls this small. Also, both grey ties are Con/NDP.

All right, challenge of the day: even if you don't know the city at all, you should be able to look at the picture at the top of the Wikipedia page for Sarnia and be able to tell roughly on this map where it's taken from and where it's looking. Wink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sarnialakeshore_02_2004_0717AB.jpg
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #643 on: January 22, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »

Great map! Are the two small towns to the east Oil Springs and Petrolia?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #644 on: January 22, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »

Great map! Are the two small towns to the east Oil Springs and Petrolia?

Thanks! The larger town in the east is Petrolia, and the one north of it with four dark (60+) Conservative polls is Wyoming. The map doesn't really extend to cover Oil Springs, though the smaller rectangle at the bottom right is the start of it.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #645 on: January 28, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »

Like in the lower Ottawa valley, there is also a pocket of rural Franco-Ontarian ancestral Liberal voting in the area around Midland and Penetanguishene, at the west end of Simcoe North. I know it looks as if I haven't caught all the area, but the northwest just goes off into the lake.

Of the two main towns right next to each other in the centre, the more Liberal one to the northwest is Penetanguishene which is more French and the more Conservative one immediately to the southeast is Midland which is mostly Anglo.

The grey tie just east of Midland is actually Conservative/NDP - it's just listed with the township name "Tay" but seems to be the village of Port McNicoll, where CP Rail ran a major port for its Great Lakes fleet until it closed in 1965. What appears to be two Liberal polls in the southeast is actually, oddly, one poll with two spatial parts, and I have no idea either why it's numbered like this or why it's Liberal.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #646 on: January 29, 2010, 05:08:35 AM »

That kind of odd precinct boundary makes me think it's probably a Reserve.
the506
Canada

« Reply #647 on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »

Sorry I've been slacking off lately....

Over the next few days (if I remember Smiley ) I'll be showing some of the more interesting ridings that haven't been touched here yet...going from east to west.

Starting in Newfoundland:

Avalon peninsula:

St. John's area:

3 of the 7 NL ridings were clean Liberal sweeps. In Random-Burin-St. George's (the one on the left side of the Avalon map), the NDP won about 10 more polls in the Stephenville area.
the506
Canada

« Reply #648 on: February 04, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »

Just to complete the Gaspe map from earlier....the Magdalen Islands:

the506
Canada

« Reply #649 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »

All of Nova Scotia and PEI (except for Bill Casey's seat) have been covered already, so let's go to New Brunswick.

This is me trying to get Miramichi and Beausejour on one map:

As an aside...there was one Liberal poll and a couple of ties in Acadie-Bathurst that was cut off the map...

Madawaska-Restigouche:

The other rural NB ridings were all clean Tory sweeps except for a few reserves and one odd Tory-NDP tie in Fundy-Royal.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies