Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:26:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 168032 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: June 29, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »

The grey precinct is empty or a tie?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »

I finally understood how that works and how to know the number of a polling division. I will perhaps try to do something with that later.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:44 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2009, 09:24:19 PM by MaxQue »

Not in Hull-Aylmer. Consevatives failed to win a poll.

And in Outremont, only Liberals and NDP won polls.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »

That one will be difficult to do, I think. Like my riding of Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou (a neighbour of Timmins-Bay James, the riding has cities with many precincts and big rural parts. A map would be very complicated, I suppose.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »

Not in Hull-Aylmer. Consevatives failed to win a poll.

And in Outremont, only Liberals and NDP won polls.

Maybe in South Shore-St. Margaret's. I remember the CHP won a poll there last time.
Or perhaps Nunavut?
There might be some in BC where the Greens won some polls and the other 3 won some. Saanich-Gulf Islands being the usual case, but I dont think the NDP won any polls since their candidate dropped out.

No CHP win in South Shore-St. Margaret's this time.

Yes for Nunavut.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »

Hmm, I could probably make a map of Nunavut, since each community is a different poll, and I have the base map from 2006.

I am not enongh patient now to try to paste something from the files and color it with Paint. Good luck for your possible community map from Nunavut!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »

Hmm, I could probably make a map of Nunavut, since each community is a different poll, and I have the base map from 2006.

I am not enongh patient now to try to paste something from the files and color it with Paint. Good luck for your possible community map from Nunavut!

Took me half an hour...

The problem is the key. I am really bad to draw something to the computer, unless the thing is filling black areas with a colour.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

Finally made a map of my riding

Sorry, the map is messy. Golden Valley goes south of northern Quebec. Kuujjuaraapik/Whapmasgoostui is on Hudson Bay, Matagami is the left BQ precinct, Lebel-sur-Quévillon is the black spot in the south of Northern Quebec, Chapais and Chibougamau are in the right BQ precinct.

Senneterre is the middle of the Conservative part (the candidate was the mayor of the town), Val-d'Or is the big black spot and Malartic is the black spot in the west surrounded by BQ precincts.

Feel free to ask questions on it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2009, 04:36:25 AM by Senator MaxQue »

Neat. What's the big BQ poll in the middle of the riding?

I'm also surprised the Liberals didn't do so well in the far north. Some of the polls have a lighter red colour.

In the North, Radisson. Not a reservation, that the place where some Hydro-Quebec dam workers are living. Very Francophone. NDP was second, Liberals third.

In the far North, opposition parties were stronger than usual. Especially NDP and to a lesser extend, BQ. Inuits are not so Liberal, we saw that in Nunuvut riding.

I can do that for other ridings, that was easier than I thought and I have lots of free time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »

Some more Native areas would be interesting. I have a theory about what predicts the heavily Liberal vs. more NDP/others patterns among reserves, but I don't have many data.

On my Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou, all Liberal precincts are Native areas. The Conservative precicnt in Wasnanipi too. I am doing Abitibi-Témiscamingue map and Pikogan, a Native reservation, voted for the BQ. BQ 29%, NDP 25%, Liberal 24%.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 04:25:55 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/2545_12_07_09_5_20_03.png

La Sarre-Macamic-Palmarolle is in the northwest, Amos is in the northeast, Barraute is a little to the southeast of Amos. Rouyn-Noranda is the big city in the middle of the riding. Notre-Dame-du-Nord/Ville-Marie/Lorrainville is a zoom on that border area and Témiscaming is in south, on Ontario border.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 04:45:32 AM »

Since Holmes asked it a few pages ago.

Timmins is in the left strange-shaped arm.

The other one are to the right, on a north-west, south-east axis. A road.
In order, starting at upper right; Cochrane, Iroquois Falls, Kirkland Lake and Englehart.

A 70% NDP color would have been useful.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

It's interesting how in Northern Ontario, it is often the large cities that are more right wing than the rural areas, in that they vote Liberal, while the rural areas for NDP. The same is true for Sault. Ste. Marie anyways, and Sudbury. Possibly Thunder Bay as well.

True in Abitibi, too, especially in Val-d'Or, in replacing NDP by the BQ and Liberal by Liberal or Conservative.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 03:22:31 AM »

Since so many persons asked it, Oshawa. Sorry, the water line is not on the map.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 04:00:26 AM »

Any demands for the next map?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2009, 03:10:03 PM by Senator MaxQue »

There are still so many places I want to see. Too bad JP stopped posting maps, apparently he is busy with work. He told me it was only taking 20 minutes to do a riding, while I assume it takes much longer for MaxQue.

Around 2 hours for a riding, that is why my maps only have one riding at time.

Cities and agglomerations maps will take more much time, but I can try soon.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:21 AM »

Western Arctic. It is pretty obvious on the map than Bevington is from Fort Smith. The tie is a Green-NDP tie.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »

Hard to believe the NDP only holds two of those seats.

My uncle lives in the west end of Dartmouth. (which appears to be hardcore NDP on this map) I wonder if he is a supporter. I'm actually going to stay at his place for the NDP convention in 2 weeks, so maybe I will find out.

Talking of that, is the name change debate is a joke? That is really happening?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

Hard to believe the NDP only holds two of those seats.

My uncle lives in the west end of Dartmouth. (which appears to be hardcore NDP on this map) I wonder if he is a supporter. I'm actually going to stay at his place for the NDP convention in 2 weeks, so maybe I will find out.

Talking of that, is the name change debate is a joke? That is really happening?

Wait, I saw a cartoon about that in the Metro today, but no news story. It left me interested, I will have to read up on that. With out any knowledge, I'd have to say some riding association has probably proposed it, and the media found it.

French news were talking of the Windsor West MP and CBC, too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »

That northern Brampton riding seems to have an odd population distribution... what's that about (I don't know anything about the area).

The unpopulated area in the south of the riding is Pearson International Airport (i.e. the main Toronto airport). Malton is the separate town on the non-Brampton side of the airport; it now has a large South Asian population.

I'm trying to figure out QuantumGIS, though there may be no point with others able to make maps so quickly and so well. I can look at a whole poll-by-poll map of the whole country, but no poll numbers or riding boundaries. Any tips?

Riding boundaries are in another file. Poll numbers are available through a ''Identify'' function or something with a name like that.

Is Bramalea is on the Brampton map?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

That northern Brampton riding seems to have an odd population distribution... what's that about (I don't know anything about the area).

The unpopulated area in the south of the riding is Pearson International Airport (i.e. the main Toronto airport). Malton is the separate town on the non-Brampton side of the airport; it now has a large South Asian population.

I'm trying to figure out QuantumGIS, though there may be no point with others able to make maps so quickly and so well. I can look at a whole poll-by-poll map of the whole country, but no poll numbers or riding boundaries. Any tips?

Riding boundaries are in another file. Poll numbers are available through a ''Identify'' function or something with a name like that.

Thanks a lot, I've got it to work now. But man - colouring in all those boxes manually is a pain in the neck. I think I'll leave this to those who know their codes and such, unless I go though any periods of major procrastination need in the next little while. Sad

Indeed. I'm doing maps only because I am so bored now. Probably try Glengarry-Prescott-Russell tonight, that is the next one on my list.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 04:13:33 AM »

I must disagree a little with those who described its voting behavior. As a french rural riding, it was very Liberal (see returns for Russell riding). Indeed, the village of Orleans was very heavily Liberals for years (in 1968, admittedly a Liberal landslide, it voted 91% Liberal!).

Increasing suburbanization has changed its character into a more typcially suburban riding. It is above average in income and education and is overwhelmingly home-owners, while also having more francoiphone voters still than any other Ottawa riding save Ottawa-Vanier.

The core francophone communities are the old Orleans village polls (about 4-5 of them) plus some of the newer more easterly subdivisions (south of Innes near Trim road). The Conservative MP Galipeau wins good margins in the middle class anglophone polls but has increased his support in the francophone polls as well. They trend Liberal still but not as much as in the past.

I'm sorry, but you must have misunderstood me. I only described it's current voting patterns. Indeed, current day Orleans is largely English suburbia, though in the past it certainly was Catholic-French heartland similar to Prescott-Russell today.

The maps for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell will be rather interesting, though rather blue for 2008 given the margin of Lemieux's victory. The fact that Glengarry-Prescott-Russell is held by a Conservative is rather telling of the rout of the Liberals in almost all of rural Ontario.

I'm still working on it. The map will be ready tomorrow, probably in the evening. If not, in the night.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01:44 PM »

Glengarry-Prescott-Russell. Russell is so conservative.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

Hey folks...don't know if this is old news or not, but I just noticed this today. Federal polling division boundaries are finally available to us peons through GeoGratis, if you have a GIS program. They go back to 2000.
Would it be possible to make maps of 2006 with that?

If so, I have an odd request. (Actually, I'd be somewhat interested even in 2008. Dull as it will look.) Macleod, Alberta. Myron Wolf Child took 2.1% of the vote riding-wide in 2006 as a Native Nationalist indy... I want to see how he did on the riding's four reserves.

It is possible to make 2004, 2006 and 2008 maps. 2000 has no polling divisions results avaliable, I think.

For Myron Wolf Child in 2006:

Sarcee 15: 1.3%. 61.7% Cons
Sarcee 16: 2.7%. 55.3% Cons
Sarcee 17: 17.1%. 68.6% Libs

Eden Valley 35: 4.1%. 79.4% Libs

Siksika 86: 10.6%. 74.3% Libs
Siksika 87: 10.6%. 67.4% Libs
Siksika 88: 8.5%. 74.4% Libs
Siksika 89: 6%. 77.4% Libs

Peigan 135: 21.5%. 65.2% Libs
Peigan 136: 18.9%. 68.6% Libs

Blood 160: 10.7%. 83.2% Libs
Blood 161: 16.9%. 81.7% Libs
Blood 162: 10.6%. 82.9% Libs
Blood 163: 12.9%. 81% Libs
Blood 164: 12.9%. 83.2% Libs
Blood 165: 18.3%. 75.1% Libs
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »

For Myron Wolf Child in 2006:

Sarcee 15: 1.3%. 61.7% Cons
Sarcee 16: 2.7%. 55.3% Cons
Sarcee 17: 17.1%. 68.6% Libs
Sarcee has white-inhabited areas. It shows, I suppose...

Now I wonder what percentage of Wolf Child's vote came from the rezzes... and what percentage of the Liberal candidate's. And what the result for the nonrez part of the riding is. Smiley

Easy to calculate. I'll calculate about tomorrow. Too tired now. With or without Sarcee 15 and 16?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies