Canadian federal polling division files (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 167981 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: June 27, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »

What GIS program should I download so I can view these?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »

Oh wow. Did you make this map, or did you download it?

I will have to download that GIS software so I can check this out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »

oh wow, I just checked out you website and found out who you are. Apparently I already know you! Hello Mr. Kirby Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »

Somebody please explain to me how the hell this works in MapWindow. How do you open the files?

Otherwise, this looks great.

I can't get it to work either. Im going to see if the 506 can help me over MSN.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »

Unzip the folder and then open it up in MapWindow. Apparently it worked for him, but I was unable to get it open. MapWindow thought it was an shx file even though it was clearly a shp file Sad
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:05:37 PM »

Unzip the folder and then open it up in MapWindow. Apparently it worked for him, but I was unable to get it open. MapWindow thought it was an shx file even though it was clearly a shp file Sad

I have the maps. Is the actual data included in this?

I don't know, but that is easily attainable from Elections Canada. So, you got it to work?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:51:52 PM »

Oooh! MORE!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »

Kingsway is interesting. It would be interesting to see a 2006 map to contrast it.

As for Vancouver East, it is one of the poorest ridings in Canada. And it's not very white at all, compared to most Canadian ridings:

45.5% White, 30.5% Chinese, 5.4% First Nations, 4.9% Southeast Asian, 4.9% Filipino, 2.2% South Asian, 1.7% Latin American, 1.5% Black, 1.1% Japanese

I wish I could figure this out, but MapWindow wont recognize the files. Otherwise, I'd be making maps like I used to when I had access to the NDP's secret website which had precinct maps.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »

Yikes! I made a map of Ottawa-Vanier in 2006. It might even be in the gallery. I sent it to Hashemite a while ago. The NDP won quite a few more polls in 2006 than 2008. They even won the Sandy Hill neighbourhood, and won Lindenlea as well. And the Tories collapsed too. They won Rockcliffe Park last time!

Newmarket-Aurora is also very interesting. I wonder what the 2006 map looked like.  Aurora was probably more Liberal (and appears still is) because Belinda lives there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

BTW, if anyone is taking requests, I would love to see Gatineau. That would be hella interesting. Hull-Aylmer as well. I made a 2006 map of Hull-Aylmer, so I know Aylmer was pretty much all red and Hull was mostly BQ (which was slightly surprising) with many Liberal areas still.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »

These musn't take that long to make; it would usually take me hours to make one of these.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

Trugarez!

The Conservative area is Beacon Hill North - a wealthy suburb. Rockcliffe Park, an extremely wealthy neighborhood, is a surprise. I suspect this could be linked to the debate about a bridge between eastern Ottawa and Quebec (which is unpopular in Ontario).

The huge light blue poll is a very sparsely populated quasi-empty piece of land that's part of CFB Rockcliffe. I suppose the only voters there are mainly military personnel. And I think my poll voted Conservative Sad, unsurprising though, since it's full of old people.

Re: BGOS - what's that city which voted Green? Owen Sound?

Yup. A detailed map of Owen Sound would be nice. It's so weird though, when I think of Owen Sound, I do not think of Green politics or environmentalists.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »

I believe this qualifies as locally polarized....Edmonton-Sherwood Park:

What this map doesn't show is that in most of the Edmonton polls, the indy James Ford actually came *5th*.

That would explain why he lost, since it looks like he won most of the polls. Basically this map shows Edmonton = Conservative, Fort Saskatchewan & Sherwood Park = Indy. Weird!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

What about my requests?

Gatineau and Hull-Aylmer
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

Gatineau:

Is there another riding in the country where 4 parties won at least 1 poll?

Perhaps Hull-Aylmer or Outremont. I know they have in the past.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

Not in Hull-Aylmer. Consevatives failed to win a poll.

And in Outremont, only Liberals and NDP won polls.

Maybe in South Shore-St. Margaret's. I remember the CHP won a poll there last time.
Or perhaps Nunavut?
There might be some in BC where the Greens won some polls and the other 3 won some. Saanich-Gulf Islands being the usual case, but I dont think the NDP won any polls since their candidate dropped out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 11:07:49 PM »

Hmm, I could probably make a map of Nunavut, since each community is a different poll, and I have the base map from 2006.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »

Hmm, I could probably make a map of Nunavut, since each community is a different poll, and I have the base map from 2006.

I am not enongh patient now to try to paste something from the files and color it with Paint. Good luck for your possible community map from Nunavut!

Took me half an hour...

Smiley

The map is like an inverse from the last election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »

I am not enongh patient now to try to paste something from the files and color it with Paint. Good luck for your possible community map from Nunavut!

Took me half an hour...

The problem is the key. I am really bad to draw something to the computer, unless the thing is filling black areas with a colour.

What difference does it make? Just use the eyedrop tool.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 01:48:19 AM »

Neat. What's the big BQ poll in the middle of the riding?

I'm also surprised the Liberals didn't do so well in the far north. Some of the polls have a lighter red colour.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

Neat. What's the big BQ poll in the middle of the riding?

I'm also surprised the Liberals didn't do so well in the far north. Some of the polls have a lighter red colour.

In the North, Radisson. Not a reservation, that the place where some Hydro-Quebec dam workers are living. Very Francophone. NDP was second, Liberals third.

In the far North, opposition parties were stronger than usual. Especially NDP and to a lesser extend, BQ. Inuits are not so Liberal, we saw that in Nunuvut riding.

I can do that for other ridings, that was easier than I thought and I have lots of free time.

Yes, please. MORE! Wink

I have so many request, I don't know where to begin. I guess I would like to see the rest of the Ottawa area's ridings. Including Hull-Aylmer and Pontiac.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »

Not as exciting as I'd hoped.

Central Nova might be interesting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

Cool. Thanks.

Could I request any of the Ottawa seats and Glengarry-Prescott-Russell?

I'll second that plus Pontiac, Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke and Nipissing would be cool.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »

I was going to get around to Central Nova soon anyway...

Greens did the best in Antigonish, where St. FX is, so that makes sense, and it looks like their best result was Pictou Island. (interesting). I don't know anything about Pictou Island.  Wikipedia says it is a fishing Island but it also uses solar and windpower, which might explain some things.

The NDP polls seem kind of random...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »

Because we haven't had much GTA coverage in this thread....Trinity-Spadina:

Ooh, I was supposed to go to U of T in the fall, so this would've been my riding. But instead I went for York... lemme check what that one is.

edit: York West! Can you do that one? Smiley

I think it's all Liberal except for one NDP poll around York University Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies