The West Wing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:24:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The West Wing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did you watch it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: The West Wing  (Read 1587 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »

I only have the Season 7 DVD so far, and it's a good show. Maybe a bit unrealistic though. For example, Vinick never made a concession speech on election night 2006, South Carolina went for Santos, Vermont went for Vinick.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

No
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

Great show.  Never watched it when it was on, but got the DVD's later.  I'm currently watching season 7.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »

I have the whole series box set. Best show ever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:53:30 PM »

Yes but I only started watching regularly towards the final two seasons.

Maybe a bit unrealistic though. For example, Vinick never made a concession speech on election night 2006, South Carolina went for Santos, Vermont went for Vinick.

Yeah, tell me about it. I think the writers always said the show took place in a very different political climate but they go on to make very striking comparisons to the real world. Whatever the case, the show could be really silly at times.

I love how they won re-election in a landslide (taking the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) but they were worried about losing Jed's home state of New Hampshire...and still lose Florida just because it was Richie's home state. Give me a break.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

Maybe a bit unrealistic though. For example, Vinick never made a concession speech on election night 2006, South Carolina went for Santos, Vermont went for Vinick.

Yeah, tell me about it. I think the writers always said the show took place in a very different political climate but they go on to make very striking comparisons to the real world. Whatever the case, the show could be really silly at times.

I love how they won re-election in a landslide (taking the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) but they were worried about losing Jed's home state of New Hampshire...and still lose Florida just because it was Richie's home state. Give me a break.

Yeah..that New Hampshire thing really bothered me.  Even if for some reason his own state really hated him, he was obviously winning in a landslide anyway.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »

Other unrealistic things about it include there being only one Presidential debate in the 2006 campaign, unrealistic counting on election night 2006, an unknown Latino Congressman winning the Democratic nomination, and a pro-choice Republican nominee.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 07:33:48 PM »

Best show ever created for television. Indisputably.

Yeah..that New Hampshire thing really bothered me.  Even if for some reason his own state really hated him, he was obviously winning in a landslide anyway.

IIRC the whole concern about New Hampshire was in the summer or early fall when the election was still competitive. It didn't turn into the landslide we saw on election night until after the debate when Bartlet slaughtered Ritchie.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »

The show went noticeably downhill after Sorkin left.  Very few writers can write dialogue like him.

The elections were absurd.  They mentioned in passing that Bartlet won Georgia in his first election, but could barely carry Oregon, and lost Maine.  Vinnick being able to carry Maine and Vermont - while losing New Hampshire, South Carolina, and the election - was odd.  It's almost like The West Wing's universe treated every state like a swing state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »

Other unrealistic things about it include there being only one Presidential debate in the 2006 campaign, unrealistic counting on election night 2006, an unknown Latino Congressman winning the Democratic nomination, and a pro-choice Republican nominee.

Yeah and they acted as if there wasn't even going to be a debate until Vinick and Santos had that confrontation at the Al Smith Dinner.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 10:28:24 PM »

Not when it was on TV, but last semester I watched all seven seasons over a few months. Great stuff.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »

Here's something else that's really weird to me...WHY would Santos choose Leo as his running mate?  Leo's specialty was running campaigns, not being a candidate.  Surely some governor (Baker?) or congressman could have added more to the ticket.

Imagine McCain choosing Karl Rove as his running mate...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »

Here's something else that's really weird to me...WHY would Santos choose Leo as his running mate?  Leo's specialty was running campaigns, not being a candidate.  Surely some governor (Baker?) or congressman could have added more to the ticket.

Karl Rove was deputy CoS and was never Labor Secretary or in Vietnam... He added national security experience and heft on Capitol Hill. Granted of course Santos could have picked someone better. But Josh obviously pressed it.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »

Seasons 1-4 are outstanding.
After that it rarely hit the same heights (except those written by Deborah Cahn, e.g. The Supremes).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

Also, don't forget that Leo had already suffered one major heart attack, and his alcoholism and drug addiction were public knowledge.  Even with his political experience, he would have been an awful choice of running mate in the real world.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies