Vacation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:00:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Vacation thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vacation thread  (Read 1773 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »

So, this is totally going to be an attention-whore post, but I'm not prone to that, so you guys can deal. I'm on a legnthy road trip this week, so I'll get to post about what I think of other parts of the country while I'm there. I'm drove through the Appalachians yesterday, which were really pretty. Biltmore Estate was so insane and out of contol. Jesus tapdancing Christ! Really impressive how even the engineers who built the mountain roads could get such high quality, even roads despite the obstacles of the landscape.  In New Jersey right now for my cousin's wedding. Not too impressed. Generic suburbia with an annoying road plan. Plus, you can't pump your own gas. Lame. I don't smoke but I can't believe how cigarettes cost here. $7-8/pack. Yikes! Going up to New England, French Canada, and Niagara Falls and then back home. I'll post later with opinions of your part of the country, soon Tongue
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »

I've been to the Biltmore estate. Very, very nice. Reminds me of the house belonging to Plainview at the end of There Will Be Blood. The restaurants there were awesome.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:19:35 PM »

I've spent the past few days in Washington DC looking at all the sights. I'm exhausted though because Charlestonians are not used to all this walking.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Plus, you can't pump your own gas.

Same in Oregon. It is f'in annoying because it always takes twice as long as it would if you did it yourself. Those people need to realize that their jobs are obsolete.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »

Went into Philly to visit some old friends last night. Central City was badass!!!!! Part of it was definataly seeing frends that I hadn't seen in years, but the city was so cool.  I'm not easily impressed but Philly rocks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

Just got back from the wedding which is here in South Jersey. Exit 4 on the Turnpike. Think the town is called Mt. Laurel. This part of the country has way too many tiny towns which I think can be confusing. I love that I can just got a Patco train into the city and not worry about driving, which is the only means of transportation at home. I liked Philly so much I went back this morning to meet up with my friends for brunch. My buddy is a law student at Penn so I saw the campus there, which was amazing, and the neighborhood around it which was really fun as well. I had always heard that the area (West Philly) was kind of shady, but it seemed fine. It's amazing how much cool architecture Philly has. It's almost like Americans have forgotten how to build cool looking buildings. I'm super jealous of people who live here. Leaving for Boston in the morning. Way too much to do and not enough time, but that's how it goes. I've been to New York City several times before, so I'm just going to bypass it on 287. I've got high expectations for Boston. I'll keep you guys posted.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2009, 06:59:56 PM by Keystone Phil »

Went into Philly to visit some old friends last night. Central City was badass!!!!! Part of it was definataly seeing frends that I hadn't seen in years, but the city was so cool.  I'm not easily impressed but Philly rocks.

It's "Center City."  Wink

I'm pleasantly surprised that an out of towner finds our city "so cool." I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Good thing you didn't spend time in my area of town. It's too boring. Though there really isn't much reason for someone out of the area to stop up here unless you have friends/family living here.

My buddy is a law student at Penn so I saw the campus there, which was amazing, and the neighborhood around it which was really fun as well. I had always heard that the area (West Philly) was kind of shady, but it seemed fine.

The Penn campus is beautiful. The immediate area is fine but you don't want to go too far off campus...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, our architecture is cool. It's hard to find such character in other cities.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »

Same in Oregon. It is f'in annoying because it always takes twice as long as it would if you did it yourself. Those people need to realize that their jobs are obsolete.

Why is that, anyway?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

Why is that, anyway?

Because NJ (and Oregon) is what we'd call a DS - Dumb State.

We Pennsylvanians love getting gas there because it's cheaper but despise having to wait for someone. Those New Jerseyeans always find a way to piss off normals.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

That's so Saudi.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:47 PM »

I'm in Boston now. The drive through Jersey really was fairly pleasant. Princeton area is nice. Didn't really get off 95 through Westchester, Connecticut, or Rhode Island, so I'll reserve judgement. Boston is incredibly fancy. Beacon Hill in particular. Wow. Again, more fantastic architecture and culture. Doing more Boston stuff tomorrow and then spending the night tomorrow in Maine. My first time in New England, so this is all really a treat for me.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:17:56 AM »

In Maine now. Lots of Thai restaurants for some reason. Went the flagship LL Bean store which was pretty cool. Crossing into Quebec tomorrow. Pretty excited.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »

In Maine now. Lots of Thai restaurants for some reason. Went the flagship LL Bean store which was pretty cool. Crossing into Quebec tomorrow. Pretty excited.

Which part of Quebec? The part where retards live (Beauce)?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2009, 05:48:44 PM by memphis »

I'm in Quebec City right now. I'm staying at the Hilton which is right outside the old city wall. Beautiful old town! I've never been to a walled city before. I took some French in school, so I'm finally getting a chance to practice. The people here are kind to put up with my mangled French even though they all speak excellent English.  The weather here is pretty chilly, which completely amazes me because I'm accustomed to July being unbearable hot.  Speaking of which, Happy Canada Day!

EDIT: Almost forgot to tell the funniest part of the journey. Shortly after the border crossing we drove past an establishment called the Benedict Arnold Inn. I thought that it was so funny that I grabbed a picture of it.

Tomorrow night, off to Montreal.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

I'm in Quebec City right now. I'm staying at the Hilton which is right outside the old city wall. Beautiful old town! I've never been to a walled city before. I took some French in school, so I'm finally getting a chance to practice. The people here are kind to put up with my mangled French even though they all speak excellent English.  The weather here is pretty chilly, which completely amazes me because I'm accustomed to July being unbearable hot.  Speaking of which, Happy Canada Day!

EDIT: Almost forgot to tell the funniest part of the journey. Shortly after the border crossing we drove past an establishment called the Benedict Arnold Inn. I thought that it was so funny that I grabbed a picture of it.

Tomorrow night, off to Montreal.

I was in Quebec City only a few days ago, ironically. I recommend you visit the Museum of French America if you're a colonial history buff. Or walk in the old town, lower town.

Montreal? Uhm. Downtown, Old Harbour (Le Vieux Port), Mont Royal.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »

LL Bean was one of my favorite day trips when I lived near Beantown in the 80's. I still get there every few years. It's no longer so unique as it once was since now there are both a Cabela's and a Gander Mountain near my home.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »

I'm going to the Georgia Mountains near Helen, next week, and on the third week of July, I'll be going to Daytona Beach, FL to stay at my Grandparent's beach-front Condo! Smiley
the artist formerly known as catmusic
catmusic
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »

Sounds nice!

This year, I'm going on a road trip with my parents. Highway one. Up through California, Oregon, Washington, and into Canada to see family.

And then, at some point, I'm moving to Hoboken, NJ with my parents. I will have to go through New Mexico, then up into Colorado, through Kansas and Missouri, into Illinois where I will see family, then into Indiana and Ohio, through Pennsylvania and then into New Jersey! (lol at this: I have only been to the stops along this trip!)

You will know where I am because I will change my state every time I enter a new one. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 04:33:53 AM »

In Montreal now. Definately more of a "big city" feel than Quebec City. Not nearly as cute but more urban and cosmopolitan. A bit grimy but doesn't feel dangerous at all. It's still Canada Tongue Off to see Old Town and the Biodome today. Tomorrow is Ottawa.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »

I might just happen to bump into you! Grin
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »

I'm here right now at the Crown Plaza on Lyon street. Like every other Canadian city I've visited, it's pretty darned cool, clean, and apparantly very safe. Parliament Hill area is beautiful. So much pretty stone architecture. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to stay here too long. Leaving tomorrow for Niagara Falls where my great-aunt lives. going to be going down 81 and then across the New York State Throughway tomorrow afternoon. Not planning on making any stops along the way, but I have high hopes for the scenery. I've really enjoyed my stay in Canada. Though I obviously only saw a small bit of it, what I saw was fantastic.  Do they really not have ghettos in Canada? I've seen some areas that seemed "working class" (to be polite) but none that were absolutely destitute.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 10:22:55 PM »

In Niagara Falls now. Total dump. Headed back home soon.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

I was just at the Biltmore a few days ago as well. Crazy awesome.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

Home at last! Last thing I did was a coal mine tour in West Virginia, which was really cool, though I had more trouble understanding the guide than I did French Candians in Quebec. All in all, a really sweet trip. Really made me want to be Canadian..... cuz I'm sure the weather there is as nice all year round as it is during the summer Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies