What Atlasian hates another country the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What Atlasian hates another country the most?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What Atlasian hates another country the most?
Keystone Phil against France/Netherlands

BRTD against Ireland

GMantis against Turkey

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: What Atlasian hates another country the most?  (Read 4926 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »

funnier response, now that I think of it:

CARL, is that you??
[/quote

Loonar, why do you hate America?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »

I'm sad that Supersoulty/The Serbs was not included.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

Keystone Phil with France, by far.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »

I refuse to accept the results of this poll unless Francia is properly renamed "Pig farm."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »

And I think others should have been included - like Hughento and Japan or dead0man and Russia.
Well, to be fair to Russia, I hate all the slavs (except Czechs and Ukrainans).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 12:52:26 AM »

And I think others should have been included - like Hughento and Japan or dead0man and Russia.

Even their women? Sad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 12:58:21 AM »

I probably should've included DWTL Stark and Israel.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 01:04:19 AM »

Why? Not that this is rare here - Phil is also like that. (No, actually he doesn't hate them - he's scared of them.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 06:17:34 AM »

Well, "hate" isn't really the word I would have used if it wasn't in the thread title.  "A natural distrust" probably works better.  It's probably the same feeling a lot of Euros have about Americans or Jews and only slightly less rational.

(and I'm 3/4s taking the piss here.  It's not like I squeeze my wallet a little tighter if a Polish guy walks by me at the store.....like I could even tell.)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

Could your distrust of Eastern Europe be a leftover of the Cold War mentality of the West?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:23 AM »

Of course and I've admitted as much to GMantis before.  I grew up in the days of hiding under our desks at school because the Soviets were godless heathens.  Russia hasn't done a lot since then to remove that mental stain and done a few things to make the stain darker.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:21 AM »

Of course and I've admitted as much to GMantis before.  I grew up in the days of hiding under our desks at school because the Soviets were godless heathens.  Russia hasn't done a lot since then to remove that mental stain and done a few things to make the stain darker.
Of course, school pupils in my country (and presumably in other Eastern European countries) were often told how the evil Americans were just waiting for a good opportunity to throw their bombs. Of course, people didn't generaly believe in propaganda - seeing as they lied about internal events, there was no reason to believe them about external events. It's not surprising that genuine anti-Americanism appeared in Russia only after the propaganda ceased and the media became free.
While this explains your attitude towards Russia, it's strange that it extends to other Slavs; it's not as if Communism was embraced voluntarily in any of those countries.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 07:27:48 AM »

Ah ha! I was on the right track. Tongue

My parents are like that too. They lived through events such as the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I can see where they're coming from. I used to be like that Russia as well. That was back in the day when I took my parents' opinion, and made it my own.

But, as simply as I can put it, I'm a child of the 90s. So when I began to think for myself and form my own opinions, my 90s roots took hold. What I think of Russia is quite different than what I thought 5-6 years ago. Now I want closer cooperation, and for us to stop treating them like second-class citizens.

Those two things the old me would have never gone for in a million years. Shocked Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 07:38:13 AM »

Of course, school pupils in my country (and presumably in other Eastern European countries) were often told how the evil Americans were just waiting for a good opportunity to throw their bombs. Of course, people didn't generaly believe in propaganda - seeing as they lied about internal events, there was no reason to believe them about external events. It's not surprising that genuine anti-Americanism appeared in Russia only after the propaganda ceased and the media became free.
While this explains your attitude towards Russia, it's strange that it extends to other Slavs; it's not as if Communism was embraced voluntarily in any of those countries.
A lot of them are pro-Russian and anti-West, which I find weird considering what Russians have been doing to them for the last several generations.  Humans are often distrustful of things they find weird.

(and again, it's not like this is something I think about...at all, outside this forum and the rare (for me at least) real life discussions of the region.  I acknowledge that I have a stereotype, understand that I probably shouldn't and would never let it reflect my relationship with any real life Slavs I may run into on a day to day basis....again, as if I could tell by looking at them.)

Ah ha! I was on the right track. Tongue

My parents are like that too. They lived through events such as the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I can see where they're coming from. I used to be like that Russia as well. That was back in the day when I took my parents' opinion, and made it my own.

But, as simply as I can put it, I'm a child of the 90s. So when I began to think for myself and form my own opinions, my 90s roots took hold. What I think of Russia is quite different than what I thought 5-6 years ago. Now I want closer cooperation, and for us to stop treating them like second-class citizens.

Those two things the old me would have never gone for in a million years. Shocked Tongue
I liked Russia a lot more 5 or 6 years ago than I do now.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2009, 08:04:41 AM by Губернатор на СЗ GMantis »

A lot of them are pro-Russian and anti-West, which I find weird considering what Russians have been doing to them for the last several generations.  Humans are often distrustful of things they find weird.

Actually, the only Slavs which like Russia nowadays are the Bulgarians (and there is an extremely Russophobic minority), the Belorussians, the Serbs and the Macedonians. Of these, only the Serbs hate the West (and this is a very recent phenomena). The Ukrainians (ironically) are split on this almost exactly equally. The other have attitudes that range from dislike to maniacal hatred (Poland, which makes your example about the Pole rather funny. They're also the nation that likes the West more than any other Eastern European country.).
Those who do like Russia have perfectly good reasons to do so.
Bulgaria, for example has received from Russia this and from the West this, this and this. (Something which I find weird is that Russia and the US are about as popular in Bulgaria.)

(and again, it's not like this is something I think about...at all, outside this forum and the rare (for me at least) real life discussions of the region.  I acknowledge that I have a stereotype, understand that I probably shouldn't and would never let it reflect my relationship with any real life Slavs I may run into on a day to day basis....again, as if I could tell by looking at them.)
Good for you. That's generally my attitude towards Turks (not as if I could usually tell them apart).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »

I refuse to accept the results of this poll unless Francia is properly renamed "Pig farm."

How does "country of savages" sound?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »

I wouldn't even say the Serbs hate the west considering Tadic's victory.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »

No, no. That's for the scary Eastern European nations.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »

It also applies very well to Southern Italy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »

Original  Wink

Except Southern Italy, while sometimes seeming like a different country, is still part of a sophisticated nation unlike many nations just a little further east that are still living about four hundred years in the past.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »

Original  Wink

Except Southern Italy, while sometimes seeming like a different country, is still part of a sophisticated nation unlike many nations just a little further east that are still living about four hundred years in the past.
You mean Turkey?
By the way, Southern Italy struggled quite a bit against inclusion in the "sophisticated nation". Obviously they didn't like being sophisticated Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:32 PM »

By the way, Southern Italy struggled quite a bit against inclusion in the "sophisticated nation". Obviously they didn't like being sophisticated Wink

It was because we were more sophisticated...in our own, special ways.  Smiley
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »

That is certainly true. For example, the Northern Italians were so unsophisticated that they didn't manage to create even one organized crime group, while the Southern Italians created three Wink
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »

I hate the entire middle east, including Israel. With the exceptions of the West Bank and Turkey (if you say that is middle eastern).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »

That is certainly true. For example, the Northern Italians were so unsophisticated that they didn't manage to create even one organized crime group, while the Southern Italians created three Wink

You're finally getting it!

Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies