Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison  (Read 4503 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
« edited: June 29, 2009, 10:52:54 AM by Fading Frodo »

Why do we sentence people to more than fifty or so years in prison even though everyone knows there is no way they can serve out the full sentence?  Just how many skeletons or mummified remains do we currently still have in their cells serving out their 700 or 800 year prison sentences? 
--------------------------------------------------------------

Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison for Ponzi Scheme

By JACK HEALY
Published: June 29, 2009

A federal judge sentenced Bernard L. Madoff to 150 years in prison on Monday for operating a huge Ponzi scheme that devastated thousands of people, calling his crimes “extraordinarily evil.”

In pronouncing the sentence — the maximum he could have handed down — Judge Denny Chin turned aside Mr. Madoff’s own assertions of remorse and rejected the suggestion from Mr. Madoff’s lawyers that there was a sense of “mob vengeance” surrounding calls for a long prison term.

“Objectively speaking, the fraud here was staggering,” the judge said. “It spanned more than 20 years.”

After victims told a packed courtroom that he should be shown no mercy in the case, which could bring a prison sentence of up to 150 years, Mr. Madoff stood up from the defense table to acknowledge the damage he had inflicted and expressed regret.

“I’m responsible for a great deal of suffering and pain, I understand that,” Mr. Madoff told the court. “I live in a tormented state now, knowing all of the pain and suffering that I’ve created. I’ve left a legacy of shame, as some of my victims have pointed out, to my family and my grandchildren.”

Addressing his victims seated in the courtroom, he said: “I will turn and face you. I’m sorry. I know that doesn’t help you.”

Prosecutors said that Mr. Madoff deserved the maximum sentence — representing a life sentence and more for the disgraced 71-year-old financier — for perpetrating one of the biggest investment frauds in Wall Street history. Mr. Madoff’s own lawyers said he should receive only 12 years, a sentence that would offer him the chance to walk out of prison at age 83.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »

Regardless of whether 150 years are really realistic.....it has the same effect: this man won't be free in his life again.

That's justice.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »

Regardless of whether 150 years are really realistic.....it has the same effect: this man won't be free in his life again.

That's justice.

That's right, death by old age in jail is the reality, and using the 150 years just catches everyone's attention.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »

That's justice.

in a perverted Western sense, sure it is, though it doesn't and won't make anybody's life any better.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:43 PM »

It may, if it serves as a deterrent. Not that the marginal benefit of that 150th year was very high.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2009, 01:35:11 PM by Take these words and write them down »

Why do we sentence people to more than fifty or so years in prison even though everyone knows there is no way they can serve out the full sentence?

Because that's the amount of years that his crimes add up to? Madoff would be unlikely to live through even a 20-year sentence, so should it have been capped at some point?

That's justice.

in a perverted Western sense, sure it is, though it doesn't and won't make anybody's life any better.

Him also being forced to forfeit $170 billion will.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

Why do we sentence people to more than fifty or so years in prison even though everyone knows there is no way they can serve out the full sentence?

Because that's the amount of years that his crimes add up to? Madoff would be unlikely to live through even a 20-year sentence, so should it have been capped at some point?

Is explicitly sentencing someone to life imprisonment (as opposed to a set number of years that add up to the same thing) so hard? 

This is a minor quibble of mine, but it just irritates me to have judges and/or juries sentence someone to centuries in prison when they could have just said that they would be in prison for the rest of their lives.  It makes the punishment sound more ridiculous than it should. 

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »

For what it's worth, they will never recover anything close to that sum from him and from "Josie College."
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »

Is explicitly sentencing someone to life imprisonment (as opposed to a set number of years that add up to the same thing) so hard? 

This is a minor quibble of mine, but it just irritates me to have judges and/or juries sentence someone to centuries in prison when they could have just said that they would be in prison for the rest of their lives.  It makes the punishment sound more ridiculous than it should. 

Yes because it's legally impossible. Madoff did not committ any one crime that is eligible for a life sentence. The sum of the sentences for all the crimes he did commit certainly add up to higher than a life sentence, but that's beside the point.

BTW in some countries (I know Spain is one) sentencing people to jail for over a century is actually standard practice because no life sentence exists, basically any murder sentence that would carry life in the US would instead get >100 years in Spain.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

A bit harsh. All he did was rob money off the rich. They deserved it anyway.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »

wonderful logic.... Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »

If you ever read Grimjack, then you'd know that in the pan-dimensional city of Cynosure, if you still have time to serve, when you get reincarnated, they haul you in to serve the remainder of your sentence.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »

He got off easy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »

It may, if it serves as a deterrent. Not that the marginal benefit of that 150th year was very high.

you're a good man
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:44 AM »

Good.  As bad as this sounds, I think swindling people out of all of their money is worse than murder.

That said, only an idiot would invest his entire life savings with one firm.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »

Yeah, except it wasn't just the rich he ripped off. Retirees, and the middle class also.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »

Yeah, except it wasn't just the rich he ripped off. Retirees, and the middle class also.

Not to mention a large number of charities and charitable foundations. Elie Wiesel's foundation lost millions.

I see the names "Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro" on so many institutions in Boston, not least of them the Museum of Fine Arts. Gone.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »

That's justice.

true enough, but even if you believe that life in prison (150 years) is too harsh....don't you think he deserves some type of punishment?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »

Why do people do these things when they know this is how they'll end up?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »

Why do people do these things when they know this is how they'll end up?

He probably thought he would get away with it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

That's justice.

true enough, but even if you believe that life in prison (150 years) is too harsh....don't you think he deserves some type of punishment?

the idea of putting him in a halfway house and forcing him to work for the SEC appeals to me, and it illustrates another way in which we could handle the criminal justice process, especially for non-violent and extremely intelligent criminals such as Madoff.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »

the idea of putting him in a halfway house and forcing him to work for the SEC appeals to me, and it illustrates another way in which we could handle the criminal justice process, especially for non-violent and extremely intelligent criminals such as Madoff.

Don't you think the prospect of that "punishment" would only encourage more sleazy rich guys to try ripping people off? "Even if I get caught, hey, I can just go to work for the government!"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

Don't you think the prospect of that "punishment" would only encourage more sleazy rich guys to try ripping people off? "Even if I get caught, hey, I can just go to work for the government!"

no.  it requires a unique skill set (and some luck) in order to pull off what Madoff did.  when orchestrating and carrying out an elaborate scheme for decades, I doubt 'deterrents' play a major role in the mastermind's thought process.

and, also, most/all assets still would be seized, so 'sleazy rich guys' would at least have to risk losing the 'rich' from their title.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »

X2. better is gets stollen by Bernie than donated to AIPAC or the ADL.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »

X2. better is gets stollen by Bernie than donated to AIPAC or the ADL.

Are you serious?  He stole from charitable foundations, like Elie Wiesel's.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies