Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:12:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie Madoff Sentenced to 150 Years in Prison  (Read 4537 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »

Regardless of whether 150 years are really realistic.....it has the same effect: this man won't be free in his life again.

That's justice.

in a perverted Western sense, sure it is, though it doesn't and won't make anybody's life any better.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »

It may, if it serves as a deterrent. Not that the marginal benefit of that 150th year was very high.

you're a good man
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

Regardless of whether 150 years are really realistic.....it has the same effect: this man won't be free in his life again.

That's justice.

in a perverted Western sense, sure it is, though it doesn't and won't make anybody's life any better.

true enough, but even if you believe that life in prison (150 years) is too harsh....don't you think he deserves some type of punishment?

the idea of putting him in a halfway house and forcing him to work for the SEC appeals to me, and it illustrates another way in which we could handle the criminal justice process, especially for non-violent and extremely intelligent criminals such as Madoff.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »

the idea of putting him in a halfway house and forcing him to work for the SEC appeals to me, and it illustrates another way in which we could handle the criminal justice process, especially for non-violent and extremely intelligent criminals such as Madoff.

Don't you think the prospect of that "punishment" would only encourage more sleazy rich guys to try ripping people off? "Even if I get caught, hey, I can just go to work for the government!"

no.  it requires a unique skill set (and some luck) in order to pull off what Madoff did.  when orchestrating and carrying out an elaborate scheme for decades, I doubt 'deterrents' play a major role in the mastermind's thought process.

and, also, most/all assets still would be seized, so 'sleazy rich guys' would at least have to risk losing the 'rich' from their title.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies