The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:53:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]  (Read 4592 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
« edited: July 03, 2009, 08:23:20 PM by Midwest Lt. Governor Vepres »

Here's the constitutional amendment being voted on:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Region: Aye-Nay-Abstain

Mideast: 8-5-0         Passes

Midwest: 5-4-0        Passes

Northeast: 6-2-3     Passes

Pacific: No votes

Southeast: 7-1-0     Passes

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »

The Mideast is turning into a garbage region. Sorry guys.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:21 PM »

The Nay votes so far have been hilariously predictable.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »

Why are we addressing the shortage in people running for office by making it harder to run for office, again?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

Why are we addressing the shortage in people running for office by making it harder to run for office, again?

Because certain people shouldn't be running for office. There are better ways to address the shortage than by getting lots of unqualified new members to swarm and take over.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:50 PM »

For the vast majority of people, it won't have any substantial negative impact. It mostly just protects critical offices from new and uninformed people who haven't participate, and it makes it so you have to put in slightly more of an effort to register to vote. There's no real harm here except to those who are new to Atlasia and recruited by those who wish to use them as pawns for their own political future.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »

And why can't the voters determine whether a candidate is qualified enough?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

And why can't the voters determine whether a candidate is qualified enough?

There are plenty of idiot voters too Wink

In all seriousness, these are very plain and simple regulations on assuring quality of candidate and participation. Posting requirements to register to vote are only being increased modestly, and people running for Senate and Presi-freaking-dent should have actually participated to some degree. As I've said, this affects no one already registered to vote, and even if it did, the vast majority wouldn't be affected anyway. This bill is designed to ensure that we can't have ignorant newbie hordes running the show. That's all.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »

Not to mention, this doesn't actually affect anyone currently registered in Atlasia. Only those who join subsequent to the passage of the Amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:37:02 AM »

Not to mention, this doesn't actually affect anyone currently registered in Atlasia. Only those who join subsequent to the passage of the Amendment.
Exactly.
I don't know why Marokai thinks I voted against this to "protect my recruits" as it wouldn't affect my recruits. And I wouldn't use them (and never have) to run for an office. I wouldn't use them either to force them to vote for me. I'll ask them to, just like anyone else would, but I'm not going to breath down their neck until they vote. Actually, the changes I would like to see would probably make it more difficult, not less.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »

I don't see the point of this amendment. It is not like we are actually going to vote for a newb anyways. And if we do, he probably deserves to win. This amendment is grossly undemocratic, and I will not support it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »

Updated
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »

I don't see the point of this amendment. It is not like we are actually going to vote for a newb anyways. And if we do, he probably deserves to win. This amendment is grossly undemocratic, and I will not support it.

I wouldn't be so sure. You might not, the old guard might not, the idiot "loons" might not (though don't hold me to that) but there are plenty of newbies already here and it wouldn't surprise me if they managed to get through.

Also, I'd like to say once again, this doesn't mean you have to join Atlasia and wait 6 months before you can be president, it just means your account has to be 6 months old. All of these waiting periods are with the age of your account, not your age after joining Atlasia.

Fine if you want to whine about it being "undemocratic" but that's just not true. We have age limits for running for Senate and President in the real world, this is no different. There are many other offices individuals can run for or attempt to be appointed to. As for voter registration, it just mandates people have to participate a little longer, rather than join one day, spam 25 posts, and join the same day.

This game continues to prove itself to be full of jokes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »

Class clown ilikeverin strikes again!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure. You might not, the old guard might not, the idiot "loons" might not (though don't hold me to that) but there are plenty of newbies already here and it wouldn't surprise me if they managed to get through.

Then let them get through. The majority rules.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2009, 06:18:41 PM by cinyc »

Let me see if I understand this.  If the referendum is passed:

1) Because the Sixth Amendment is repealed, under the new requirement, someone who joins the greater Atlas Forum (not Atlasia) 15 days before an election and doesn't post anything on the greater forum other than his registration post is an eligible voter.  The 25 vote requirement no longer applies.

2) Senators now need 200 posts (instead of 100) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 60 days.

3) The President now needs 500 posts (instead of 250) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 180 days.

Correct?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »

1) Because the Sixth Amendment is repealed, under the new requirement, someone who joins the greater Atlas Forum (not Atlasia) 15 days before an election and doesn't post anything on the greater forum other than his registration post is an eligible voter.  The 25 vote requirement no longer applies.

2) Senators now need 200 posts (instead of 100) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 60 days.

3) The President now needs 500 posts (instead of 250) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia).

Correct?

You need 50 posts to be able to register in Atlasia now.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »

3) The President now needs 500 posts (instead of 250) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia).

Correct?

Because Article V, Secton 2, Clause 1 is back in force, I guess?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 05:27:29 PM »

Look, another Nay vote from the garbage Mideast region from a newbie! Whodathunkit?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »

Correct?

Because Article V, Secton 2, Clause 1 is back in force, I guess?

Indeed, or at least, that is the intention.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 05:31:08 PM »

Also, I'd like to say once again, this doesn't mean you have to join Atlasia and wait 6 months before you can be president, it just means your account has to be 6 months old. All of these waiting periods are with the age of your account, not your age after joining Atlasia.

Fine if you want to whine about it being "undemocratic" but that's just not true. We have age limits for running for Senate and President in the real world, this is no different. There are many other offices individuals can run for or attempt to be appointed to. As for voter registration, it just mandates people have to participate a little longer, rather than join one day, spam 25 posts, and join the same day.

This game continues to prove itself to be full of jokes.

I never said things were democratic in the real world, especially in the U.S.!  And thank you for calling me a joke, just because I oppose you on something. Classy.

Then let them get through. The majority rules.

Exactly. In a democracy, we should be able to elect whomever we want.  It's up to the people to decide whether or not a person is fit to run. If they make a mistake, then they have to live with it. They learn their lesson and they will elect someone different. That's the beauty of democracy!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »

Look, another Nay vote from the garbage Mideast region from a newbie! Whodathunkit?

Pacific is worse. Governor is the least active and hasn't been on in 4 days. And the region is full of crazies and JCP zombies.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »

These are modest requirements which affect no one already registered. Anyone making a big deal about these minor enhancements of voter and officeholding regulations is a joke. (Most, if not all, of the opposition is coming from newbies, people who benefit from having the newbies as their slaves, and the crazy class clowns. You're in great company.)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 05:42:28 PM »

So, I am a joke?

You're welcome for my vote. It won't be happening again. I don't like when people can't be civil with their disagreements. You're acting as if my opposition is a personal attack.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »

So, I am a joke?

You're welcome for my vote. It won't be happening again. I don't like when people can't be civil with their disagreements. You're acting as if my opposition is a personal attack.

You're not as bad as the others who are opposing such a basic amendment. But still, I'm disappointed you're against obvious and much-needed amendments.

And I don't really care if you vote for me again or not. I've contemplated leaving this 'game' lately anyway. The hell I had to go through to get elected, and the stupidity I have to deal with on a daily basis, gives me more headaches than my mom's chronic migraine condition.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies