The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:54:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]  (Read 4577 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

So, I am a joke?

You're welcome for my vote. It won't be happening again. I don't like when people can't be civil with their disagreements. You're acting as if my opposition is a personal attack.

You're not as bad as the others who are opposing such a basic amendment. But still, I'm disappointed you're against obvious and much-needed amendments.

And I don't really care if you vote for me again or not. I've contemplated leaving this 'game' lately anyway. The hell I had to go through to get elected, and the stupidity I have to deal with on a daily basis, gives me more headaches than my mom's chronic migraine condition.

You act like you're entitled to win and get your way. Thing is you're not. Once you realize that maybe you'll calm down somewhat, k?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That really hurts Marokai, especially considering how much we garbage mideast newbies love you.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »

CultureKing said he's out of town and has limited internet access at the moment. I'm sure he'll open it when he gets a chance.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 05:49:38 PM »

I favour this amendment, but I would like it if voters who vote against it aren't called jokes (even if some may be) and if the AYEs could be more civil in their disagreements with the opposition.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »

CultureKing said he's out of town and has limited internet access at the moment. I'm sure he'll open it when he gets a chance.

If you folks had retained a Chief Justice, this would have been the perfect time for him to do something. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »

So, I am a joke?

You're welcome for my vote. It won't be happening again. I don't like when people can't be civil with their disagreements. You're acting as if my opposition is a personal attack.

You're not as bad as the others who are opposing such a basic amendment. But still, I'm disappointed you're against obvious and much-needed amendments.

And I don't really care if you vote for me again or not. I've contemplated leaving this 'game' lately anyway. The hell I had to go through to get elected, and the stupidity I have to deal with on a daily basis, gives me more headaches than my mom's chronic migraine condition.

You act like you're entitled to win and get your way. Thing is you're not. Once you realize that maybe you'll calm down somewhat, k?

I'm not acting like I'm "entitled" to get something, I'm pissed off by a great number of things. Tired of the fact that your moderator ilk do s**t when people ask you to, and really, with such lax rules on this site, why even have mods. I'm tired of sockpuppets finding their way into the game. I'm tired of two-faced people who act nice and then try to stab you in the back to win an election. I'm tired of newbies being allowed into the game and to wreak havoc with their uneducated opinions. I'm tired of people who cry for reform and say the system is broken, then whine and complain when someone gets into office and tries to actually do something. I'm tired of the "loons" who say we're taking the game too seriously, just because we try to play this "game" properly.

I favour this amendment, but I would like it if voters who vote against it aren't called jokes (even if some may be) and if the AYEs could be more civil in their disagreements with the opposition.

The great share of opposition has come from the newbies themselves, and those who benefit from them. Perhaps not all opposition is a "joke" but the share of the opposition so far pretty much has been hilariously predictable.

That really hurts Marokai, especially considering how much we garbage mideast newbies love you.

Sarcasm? Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

The great share of opposition has come from the newbies themselves, and those who benefit from them. Perhaps not all opposition is a "joke" but the share of the opposition so far pretty much has been hilariously predictable.

Can we stop lumping all newbies into one category, mar plij? Yes, some newbies may be trolls/idiots/loons/jokes but there are promising newbies with a real and genuine interest in the game and they may have their reasons to oppose this.

You won't find yourself attracting many new members to Atlasia if you all call them jokes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 05:59:23 PM »

So, I am a joke?

I'm not acting like I'm "entitled" to get something, I'm pissed off by a great number of things. Tired of the fact that your moderator ilk do s**t when people ask you to, and really, with such lax rules on this site, why even have mods. I'm tired of sockpuppets finding their way into the game. I'm tired of two-faced people who act nice and then try to stab you in the back to win an election. I'm tired of newbies being allowed into the game and to wreak havoc with their uneducated opinions. I'm tired of people who cry for reform and say the system is broken, then whine and complain when someone gets into office and tries to actually do something. I'm tired of the "loons" who say we're taking the game too seriously, just because we try to play this "game" properly.

Sarcasm? Wink

Yes, give in to your hate. It makes you stronger.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

So, I am a joke?

Sarcasm? Wink

Star Wars references from you of all people seem just so...cliche. Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »

So, I am a joke?

Sarcasm? Wink

Star Wars references from you of all people seem just so...cliche. Wink

Bah! Let me have my fun! Get off my lawn! *shakes stick* Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 06:13:47 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2009, 06:15:50 PM by Senator Marokai Blue »

Can we stop lumping all newbies into one category, mar plij? Yes, some newbies may be trolls/idiots/loons/jokes but there are promising newbies with a real and genuine interest in the game and they may have their reasons to oppose this.

You won't find yourself attracting many new members to Atlasia if you all call them jokes.

Perhaps, but I'm not going to tame my tongue when people like JewishConservative, electoraljew, (both of these voted for MJ, cute enough) cindywho, and catmusic (among many others) are tainting the game here. It's quite clear that this is going to be opposed by the newbies themselves, and those who are using them for political gain.

(Xahar, who I know you don't like me complaining about, but Xahar did marshal the newbies alot, tmth is obviously close to these newbies and there have been a number of concerns about his proximity to the newbie slaves, ilikeverin, who thinks himself an oddball subversive, etc. I can't be kind about my distaste for these people on this issue.)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »

If you want this amendment to pass Marokai you might want to just stop talking and contact your supporters in private.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »

Perhaps, but I'm not going to tame my tongue when people like JewishConservative, electoraljew, (both of these voted for MJ, cute enough) cindywho, and catmusic (among many others) are tainting the game here. It's quite clear that this is going to be opposed by the newbies themselves, and those who are using them for political gain.

Then I hope you'll support the new legislation I plan to introduce that aims to combat stupid voters/zombie voters.

Yes, I know, Xahar will destroy the world. I got the memo.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »

I never said that. Roll Eyes

I realize you're Xahar's friend, and I'm fine with Xahar being back. But don't play ignorant here, we both know Xahar contacted newbies in private during his "exile." New posters just don't sign up and start railing against someone's banning unless they've been egged on.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »

Need I explain the concept of sarcasm and/or hyperboles?

Roll Eyes

I was making a sarcastic statement. Never in my post did I deny that Xahar has recruited certain newbies in private.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »

The names I've been called in this thread have made me smile Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »

That the Southeast, the region that passed a bill taking Atlasian currency out of circulation, is the only region with the sense enough to resoundingly pass this amendment speaks volumes about the state of the game.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »

That the Southeast, the region that passed a bill taking Atlasian currency out of circulation, is the only region with the sense enough to resoundingly pass this amendment speaks volumes about the state of the game.

Hey, anarcho-capitalism & sensible game reform are not mutually exclusive goals. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »

Indeed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »

Well, if the folks who support this amendment would spend more time informing those of us who don't watch closely why this amendment is a good idea instead of ridiculing those who vote against it, it might be doing better.   Some of the nay voters are clearly not puppets and are acting in good faith.  I doubt SoFA Earl AW or Sam Spade oppose it for frivolous reasons.

To many of us mere voters, the default position on referendums and amendments is to vote no unless there is a compelling reason otherwise - both in the real world and on Atlasia.  The text of the amendment itself is meaningless unless someone explains what's being changed and why.

As someone who's truly on the fence (before the NE voting booth has even opened), I'd like to hear arguments for and against this amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »

Okay...
I oppose this amendment because I think 180 days is too long to wait to be President. As we've seen with some members on here, you can get extremely active on Atlasia, in less than 6 months. Another weakness in the amendment, is what will it actually do? While increasing time you have to wait to register is a good idea, all the other stuff won't help much. It's not like Atlasians are going to go out there and vote for a newbie. And as Earl pointed out, if we ever did vote for a newbie, he or she probably deserved it. It should be up to the people of Atlasia to decide if someone is ready to hold an elected position. And if someone who isn't ready gets elected, well, a lesson will be learned, and they will lose re-election. Also, as Earl said, it's the beauty of democracy.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

Well, if the folks who support this amendment would spend more time informing those of us who don't watch closely why this amendment is a good idea instead of ridiculing those who vote against it, it might be doing better.   Some of the nay voters are clearly not puppets and are acting in good faith.  I doubt SoFA Earl AW or Sam Spade oppose it for frivolous reasons.

To many of us mere voters, the default position on referendums and amendments is to vote no unless there is a compelling reason otherwise - both in the real world and on Atlasia.  The text of the amendment itself is meaningless unless someone explains what's being changed and why.

As someone who's truly on the fence (before the NE voting booth has even opened), I'd like to hear arguments for and against this amendment.

This raises the limits, both in number of posts and adds a time floor, on registering to vote in Atlasia. It also raises the requirements to run for Senate and President. This is basically meant to make sure that those who join the game aren't puppets, but rather people who have become somewhat oriented with the forum. It also makes sure that new members don't implode shortly upon joining by running for offices way beyond what they are qualified for. This is less to prevent them from running as much as preventing them from damaging their own reputations.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »

Yeah, seriously, why does the NE booth never open on time?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »

Okay, fair enough.

First of all, if anyone is confused about what repealing the sixth amendment does, it increases the posting requirement to join back to 50 as it was originally.

Secondly, the rationale in favor of this amendment is simple, it's to make sure that the people who are voting and the people who run for office have been around for at least a little while, and participate more. As it currently stands, people, most of whom don't participate in anything important or post at all, can spam 25 posts on the day they register on Atlas, and then join Atlasia without a problem, and can soon after, vote.

This causes alot of problems, because it gives certain people unfair (and honestly, petty and disgusting) advantages because they can (and have) recruited people from off the site just to have them here to vote. Not only that, but they can recruit newbies who otherwise wouldn't have stayed for very long, just for their own benefit, or just recruit people who, quite frankly, shouldn't be here at all. (Like Catmusic)

I'm sure many others here, just like myself, joined Atlas a fair bit before we joined Atlasia. I was a member of Atlas for over a year and only posted regularly a few months in 2008 before Xahar recruited me, and I hadn't even paid much attention to Atlasia. I don't want to force people to go through all that time to wait, but we should be encouraging people to participate in this site and show a commitment to staying before we allow them to join and run for critical office. Voter registration requirements in this amendment, for instance, make it so people have to have joined and been here for at least two weeks and posted at least 50 times (this is incredibly easy to do) before they can join Atlasia. This simple first step demonstrates you are a serious poster with an attitude to participate in threads and stick around for at least a little while.

Officeholding restrictions, are not that much more severe. There are months between election cycles as it is, so simply restricting by a few months when someone can run for the Senate will not have that much of an effect participation wise, it will simply keep brand-new accounts from being able to run, and again increases posting requirements so it shows these people actually show themselves capable of participating in the processes and debate.

Okay...
I oppose this amendment because I think 180 days is too long to wait to be President. As we've seen with some members on here, you can get extremely active on Atlasia, in less than 6 months. Another weakness in the amendment, is what will it actually do? While increasing time you have to wait to register is a good idea, all the other stuff won't help much. It's not like Atlasians are going to go out there and vote for a newbie. And as Earl pointed out, if we ever did vote for a newbie, he or she probably deserved it. It should be up to the people of Atlasia to decide if someone is ready to hold an elected position. And if someone who isn't ready gets elected, well, a lesson will be learned, and they will lose re-election. Also, as Earl said, it's the beauty of democracy.

First of all, if you believe some of these things are toothless then there should be no serious reasons for you to oppose them. Secondly, we have Presidential elections every 120 days in the first place. Should we shorten election cycles, because it is too long to wait to run for President? These are not serious restrictions in light of the actual election cycle times in the first place.

Also, I would again like to clarify that this is not "six months after you joined Atlasia" this is "six months after you registered your account" in the first place. Forgive me, but I would be suspect of any individual who joined this site and immediately jumped into Atlasia. Almost none of us here have done this and those who have have been people we've never seen post again. Where's electoraljew? Cindy? Did catmusic even vote? And what positive contribution has Jewish Conservative made? By the time you've joined Atlas, gotten the posts and time period to join Atlasia in the first place, and waited for the election cycle to roll around, the time constraints are not that big of a factor.

Let's not make a mountain of a molehill, not like you did before, hm?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

Yeah, seriously, why does the NE booth never open on time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies