The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]  (Read 4579 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2009, 09:09:41 PM by Bayh! `10 »

Let's not make a mountain of a molehill, not like you did before, hm?
Wait, I made a mountain of a molehill??? I'm pretty sure that was you...
He asked why he should vote one way or the other, so I answered my thoughts. You are the one building mountains by continuing to confront me about this amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »

That didn't address the rest of Marokai's points.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »

I'm not going to waste time addressing his points. He makes some good points, and I think I make some good points. The difference is, I'm not going to attack someone just for disagreeing with me.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

I'm not going to waste time addressing his points. He makes some good points, and I think I make some good points. The difference is, I'm not going to attack someone just for disagreeing with me.

You can keep pointing back to his little explosion earlier, or you can back your points up. I would imagine that you would do better actually explaining your view, rather than using a low point in the debate as your fallback.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »

You can keep pointing back to his little explosion earlier, or you can back your points up. I would imagine that you would do better actually explaining your view, rather than using a low point in the debate as your fallback.
I've made my points several times, and I've stated why I feel that way. I think taking the chance on people is part of Democracy, making it more exciting. If Atlasia messes up, and gets someone who wasnt ready, they'll learn from that, and make sure to make the correct decision next time. I doubt that will even happen though, as Atlasia is smart as a whole, and isn't going to elect an inexperieced dummy to the Senate.
Also, this isn't a debate. This is both sides convincing someone to take their side. I'd call it, a persuasive essay. Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »

I've made my points several times, and I've stated why I feel that way. I think taking the chance on people is part of Democracy, making it more exciting. If Atlasia messes up, and gets someone who wasnt ready, they'll learn from that, and make sure to make the correct decision next time. I doubt that will even happen though, as Atlasia is smart as a whole, and isn't going to elect an inexperieced dummy to the Senate.
Also, this isn't a debate. This is both sides convincing someone to take their side. I'd call it, a persuasive essay. Wink

The point isn't really that Atlasia won't elect such a person. It is that certain people just aren't ready for it. Look at yourself. You royally screwed up in your first run for Senate and ended up leading to a massive controversy that harmed the game. All because you just weren't familiar enough and experienced enough to know what was right.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »

I've made my points several times, and I've stated why I feel that way. I think taking the chance on people is part of Democracy, making it more exciting. If Atlasia messes up, and gets someone who wasnt ready, they'll learn from that, and make sure to make the correct decision next time.

I think that's a fairly dumb way to run things. All this does is basically makes sure people have to wait the rough equivalent of an election cycle before they can run for those offices. These people can still run for regional legislatures if they exist, such as the Mideast Assembly, or regional executive branches, and can still be appointed to cabinet offices or argue court cases if they come up and they're trusted with doing so. Also, they can still work for reform outside of the system as several people have done. Placing an age limit on Senate and Presidential races roughly the equivalent of an election cycle does not destroy democracy or limit participation. In fact, it could very well encourage it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure, given that if circumstances were slightly different, you and/or Ogis could've ended up in the Senate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

The point isn't really that Atlasia won't elect such a person. It is that certain people just aren't ready for it. Look at yourself. You royally screwed up in your first run for Senate and ended up leading to a massive controversy that harmed the game. All because you just weren't familiar enough and experienced enough to know what was right.
I agree 100% that I wasn't ready, and shouldn't have run. But I'm not sure how it led to a massive controversy...
Some people could be ready though, after a while. I had only been in Atlasia for a couple weeks when it happened. Someone who had been on for a couple months would know a lot more. I mean, would I be ready for the Senate now? Probably. Would I be ready for President? Heck no. There can also be people who've been on Atlas a long time, and have thousands of posts, but that doesn't mean they are ready for Atlasia. That's why I think it would be a smarter idea to require someone to have a certain amount of posts in the "Atlas Fantasy elections" subforum (This board and Government board) to qualify for President or Senate. That, would help make more educated members run, and keep uneducated people (like I was in Senate election) away until they make enough posts here. (It would also possibly increase activity on this board Cheesy )
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »

There's not enough reason to post here alot outside an election week/two weeks. Requiring a post requirement in this specific forum would make it harder to join and run. That's senseless.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »

There's not enough reason to post here alot outside an election week/two weeks. Requiring a post requirement in this specific forum would make it harder to join and run. That's senseless.
It's just a suggestion. If no one ever came up with idea's, where would our world be? What if the idea to create Atlasia had never been proposed?
It's probably not brilliant, but it would be like, 25 posts for Senator, 50 for President. Just to prevent someone who has never even posted here to run.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »

It's just a suggestion. If no one ever came up with idea's, where would our world be? What if the idea to create Atlasia had never been proposed?
It's probably not brilliant, but it would be like, 25 posts for Senator, 50 for President. Just to prevent someone who has never even posted here to run.

Well, no, it's certainly not brilliant. All that would do is lead to alot of spamming on this board alone and we end up with the same problem we have now. Overall posting requirements are the best way to ensure people post at least something of quality once in awhile, and if they want to join Atlasia or already have, chances are they're going to pop in once in awhile anyway.

Also, this still has nothing to do with your complaining about time limits earlier, what happened to that?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »

Thanks to all for the input.  It was very helpful.

I agree 100% that I wasn't ready, and shouldn't have run. But I'm not sure how it led to a massive controversy...
Some people could be ready though, after a while. I had only been in Atlasia for a couple weeks when it happened. Someone who had been on for a couple months would know a lot more. I mean, would I be ready for the Senate now? Probably. Would I be ready for President? Heck no. There can also be people who've been on Atlas a long time, and have thousands of posts, but that doesn't mean they are ready for Atlasia. That's why I think it would be a smarter idea to require someone to have a certain amount of posts in the "Atlas Fantasy elections" subforum (This board and Government board) to qualify for President or Senate. That, would help make more educated members run, and keep uneducated people (like I was in Senate election) away until they make enough posts here. (It would also possibly increase activity on this board Cheesy )

I'm not sure how a posts on the Atlasia Fantasy Elections subforum requirement would work.  It seems to discriminate in favor of the political class, who are more apt to post on this subforum, than us mere voters - whose main activity on the subforum may be just to vote in elections until a particular issue causes us to run for election.   Getting 100 or 500 posts on this subforum would be extremely difficult for those of us not in any elective office, but easy for someone already debating in the Senate.

I can understand why we'd want to have an age requirement for registered voters (to minimize puppet fraud),  but I think 50 posts might be too high a bar for legitimate new voters (if the puppets can make 25 meaningless posts, they easily can make 50).  I'm not as convinced we need age requirements for elective officeholders.  If posters want to make fools of themselves by running too soon, let them.  On the other hand, we have age requirements for Senators and Presidents in the U.S., so I'm not as concerned about it as I might otherwise be.

I think I'm probably going to vote aye on this once the Northeast booth opens up.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »

I think I'm probably going to vote aye on this once the Northeast booth opens up.

Good, and let's hope that is soon. Wink

Regarding posts in this forum, it is just hard to keep track of that. Making the SoFA go through each member's posts to figure this out is unfeasible.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »

Good, and let's hope that is soon. Wink

Regarding posts in this forum, it is just hard to keep track of that. Making the SoFA go through each member's posts to figure this out is unfeasible.

I thought it would be tough to do, too - but then I looked at my profile page and noticed the statistics tab.  There's a column there for most popular posts by board - as long as the number od posts on this sub-forum are in the top 10 of all subforums, it should show up... 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 04:32:22 AM »

I very much approve of the registration provision - in fact, I'd have used a somewhat longer time. Atlasia should be a plaything for people who're on the forum anyways, not the other way round.
Should the amendment fail, I hope it comes back in this reduced form.

I don't approve of the stuff below. I am not certain that it's particularly relevant in practice, which is why I have not voted yet.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 05:39:40 AM »

Yeah, pretty much agree with Lewis on the registration provisions.
I'm fairly ambivalent towards the office holding requirements.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 05:46:38 AM »

Anything I can do to convince you otherwise? I mean, as I've said, it basically just mandates a slightly longer period than a traditional election cycle (depending on the office) before they can run for it/hold it. By the time "Atlasian A" finds himself with the registration requirements, the fulfilled posts, and an election cycle rolls around, his requirements are probably going to be filled anyhow. In either case, I don't see why there's a reason to oppose it outright.

Also, these things will only affect two offices anyway. It doesn't affect regional legislatures or Governor or Lt. Governor, or any cabinet position, or being able to push their own ideas as citizens whether it be with a newspaper or joining the Constitutional Convention, however long it lasts. There's a wealth of things someone can do if they're actually serious about being in Atlasia.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »

I would agree to an ensuing amendment that reduces the office holding provisions back to normal and slightly raises the time/posting limits for joining.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »

I would agree to an ensuing amendment that reduces the office holding provisions back to normal and slightly raises the time/posting limits for joining.

Hey, quiet, it's not dead yet Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

Well, I wouldn't be so sure, given that if circumstances were slightly different, you and/or Ogis could've ended up in the Senate.

Saving Atlasia from itself? My god, really?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »

I swear if this fails in the Mideast...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »

Well at least we are doing our part in the South. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:29 PM »

Well at least we are doing our part in the South. Smiley

I'm still shocked you guys are the sensible ones in this scenario Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »

What happens if there is a majority of Abstentions?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »

What happens if there is a majority of Abstentions?

Failure, I believe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies