The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:50:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]  (Read 4672 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: June 30, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2009, 06:18:41 PM by cinyc »

Let me see if I understand this.  If the referendum is passed:

1) Because the Sixth Amendment is repealed, under the new requirement, someone who joins the greater Atlas Forum (not Atlasia) 15 days before an election and doesn't post anything on the greater forum other than his registration post is an eligible voter.  The 25 vote requirement no longer applies.

2) Senators now need 200 posts (instead of 100) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 60 days.

3) The President now needs 500 posts (instead of 250) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 180 days.

Correct?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »

Let me see if I understand this.  If the referendum is passed:

1) Because the Sixth Amendment is repealed, under the new requirement, someone who joins the greater Atlas Forum (not Atlasia) 15 days before an election and doesn't post anything on the greater forum other than his registration post is an eligible voter.  The 25 vote requirement no longer applies.

2) Senators now need 200 posts (instead of 100) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia) for at least 60 days.

3) The President now needs 500 posts (instead of 250) and must have registered with the greater forum (not Atlasia).

Correct?

You need 50 posts to be able to register in Atlasia now.

Because Article V, Secton 2, Clause 1 is back in force, I guess?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:11 PM »

That the Southeast, the region that passed a bill taking Atlasian currency out of circulation, is the only region with the sense enough to resoundingly pass this amendment speaks volumes about the state of the game.

Well, if the folks who support this amendment would spend more time informing those of us who don't watch closely why this amendment is a good idea instead of ridiculing those who vote against it, it might be doing better.   Some of the nay voters are clearly not puppets and are acting in good faith.  I doubt SoFA Earl AW or Sam Spade oppose it for frivolous reasons.

To many of us mere voters, the default position on referendums and amendments is to vote no unless there is a compelling reason otherwise - both in the real world and on Atlasia.  The text of the amendment itself is meaningless unless someone explains what's being changed and why.

As someone who's truly on the fence (before the NE voting booth has even opened), I'd like to hear arguments for and against this amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »

Thanks to all for the input.  It was very helpful.

I agree 100% that I wasn't ready, and shouldn't have run. But I'm not sure how it led to a massive controversy...
Some people could be ready though, after a while. I had only been in Atlasia for a couple weeks when it happened. Someone who had been on for a couple months would know a lot more. I mean, would I be ready for the Senate now? Probably. Would I be ready for President? Heck no. There can also be people who've been on Atlas a long time, and have thousands of posts, but that doesn't mean they are ready for Atlasia. That's why I think it would be a smarter idea to require someone to have a certain amount of posts in the "Atlas Fantasy elections" subforum (This board and Government board) to qualify for President or Senate. That, would help make more educated members run, and keep uneducated people (like I was in Senate election) away until they make enough posts here. (It would also possibly increase activity on this board Cheesy )

I'm not sure how a posts on the Atlasia Fantasy Elections subforum requirement would work.  It seems to discriminate in favor of the political class, who are more apt to post on this subforum, than us mere voters - whose main activity on the subforum may be just to vote in elections until a particular issue causes us to run for election.   Getting 100 or 500 posts on this subforum would be extremely difficult for those of us not in any elective office, but easy for someone already debating in the Senate.

I can understand why we'd want to have an age requirement for registered voters (to minimize puppet fraud),  but I think 50 posts might be too high a bar for legitimate new voters (if the puppets can make 25 meaningless posts, they easily can make 50).  I'm not as convinced we need age requirements for elective officeholders.  If posters want to make fools of themselves by running too soon, let them.  On the other hand, we have age requirements for Senators and Presidents in the U.S., so I'm not as concerned about it as I might otherwise be.

I think I'm probably going to vote aye on this once the Northeast booth opens up.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »

I think I'm probably going to vote aye on this once the Northeast booth opens up.

Good, and let's hope that is soon. Wink

Regarding posts in this forum, it is just hard to keep track of that. Making the SoFA go through each member's posts to figure this out is unfeasible.

I thought it would be tough to do, too - but then I looked at my profile page and noticed the statistics tab.  There's a column there for most popular posts by board - as long as the number od posts on this sub-forum are in the top 10 of all subforums, it should show up... 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies