The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:05:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel Amendment Referendum Tracker [Updated 7/3 9:23 PM East]  (Read 4649 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »

Why are we addressing the shortage in people running for office by making it harder to run for office, again?

Because certain people shouldn't be running for office. There are better ways to address the shortage than by getting lots of unqualified new members to swarm and take over.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »

Not to mention, this doesn't actually affect anyone currently registered in Atlasia. Only those who join subsequent to the passage of the Amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »

So, I am a joke?

You're welcome for my vote. It won't be happening again. I don't like when people can't be civil with their disagreements. You're acting as if my opposition is a personal attack.

You're not as bad as the others who are opposing such a basic amendment. But still, I'm disappointed you're against obvious and much-needed amendments.

And I don't really care if you vote for me again or not. I've contemplated leaving this 'game' lately anyway. The hell I had to go through to get elected, and the stupidity I have to deal with on a daily basis, gives me more headaches than my mom's chronic migraine condition.

You act like you're entitled to win and get your way. Thing is you're not. Once you realize that maybe you'll calm down somewhat, k?

I'm not acting like I'm "entitled" to get something, I'm pissed off by a great number of things. Tired of the fact that your moderator ilk do s**t when people ask you to, and really, with such lax rules on this site, why even have mods. I'm tired of sockpuppets finding their way into the game. I'm tired of two-faced people who act nice and then try to stab you in the back to win an election. I'm tired of newbies being allowed into the game and to wreak havoc with their uneducated opinions. I'm tired of people who cry for reform and say the system is broken, then whine and complain when someone gets into office and tries to actually do something. I'm tired of the "loons" who say we're taking the game too seriously, just because we try to play this "game" properly.

I favour this amendment, but I would like it if voters who vote against it aren't called jokes (even if some may be) and if the AYEs could be more civil in their disagreements with the opposition.

The great share of opposition has come from the newbies themselves, and those who benefit from them. Perhaps not all opposition is a "joke" but the share of the opposition so far pretty much has been hilariously predictable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That really hurts Marokai, especially considering how much we garbage mideast newbies love you.

Sarcasm? Wink

Yes, give in to your hate. It makes you stronger.

Star Wars references from you of all people seem just so...cliche. Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »

That the Southeast, the region that passed a bill taking Atlasian currency out of circulation, is the only region with the sense enough to resoundingly pass this amendment speaks volumes about the state of the game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

That the Southeast, the region that passed a bill taking Atlasian currency out of circulation, is the only region with the sense enough to resoundingly pass this amendment speaks volumes about the state of the game.

Well, if the folks who support this amendment would spend more time informing those of us who don't watch closely why this amendment is a good idea instead of ridiculing those who vote against it, it might be doing better.   Some of the nay voters are clearly not puppets and are acting in good faith.  I doubt SoFA Earl AW or Sam Spade oppose it for frivolous reasons.

To many of us mere voters, the default position on referendums and amendments is to vote no unless there is a compelling reason otherwise - both in the real world and on Atlasia.  The text of the amendment itself is meaningless unless someone explains what's being changed and why.

As someone who's truly on the fence (before the NE voting booth has even opened), I'd like to hear arguments for and against this amendment.

This raises the limits, both in number of posts and adds a time floor, on registering to vote in Atlasia. It also raises the requirements to run for Senate and President. This is basically meant to make sure that those who join the game aren't puppets, but rather people who have become somewhat oriented with the forum. It also makes sure that new members don't implode shortly upon joining by running for offices way beyond what they are qualified for. This is less to prevent them from running as much as preventing them from damaging their own reputations.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »

Let's not make a mountain of a molehill, not like you did before, hm?
Wait, I made a mountain of a molehill??? I'm pretty sure that was you...

That didn't address the rest of Marokai's points.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »

I'm not going to waste time addressing his points. He makes some good points, and I think I make some good points. The difference is, I'm not going to attack someone just for disagreeing with me.

You can keep pointing back to his little explosion earlier, or you can back your points up. I would imagine that you would do better actually explaining your view, rather than using a low point in the debate as your fallback.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »

I'm not going to waste time addressing his points. He makes some good points, and I think I make some good points. The difference is, I'm not going to attack someone just for disagreeing with me.

You can keep pointing back to his little explosion earlier, or you can back your points up. I would imagine that you would do better actually explaining your view, rather than using a low point in the debate as your fallback.
I've made my points several times, and I've stated why I feel that way. I think taking the chance on people is part of Democracy, making it more exciting. If Atlasia messes up, and gets someone who wasnt ready, they'll learn from that, and make sure to make the correct decision next time. I doubt that will even happen though, as Atlasia is smart as a whole, and isn't going to elect an inexperieced dummy to the Senate.
Also, this isn't a debate. This is both sides convincing someone to take their side. I'd call it, a persuasive essay. Wink

The point isn't really that Atlasia won't elect such a person. It is that certain people just aren't ready for it. Look at yourself. You royally screwed up in your first run for Senate and ended up leading to a massive controversy that harmed the game. All because you just weren't familiar enough and experienced enough to know what was right.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »

I think I'm probably going to vote aye on this once the Northeast booth opens up.

Good, and let's hope that is soon. Wink

Regarding posts in this forum, it is just hard to keep track of that. Making the SoFA go through each member's posts to figure this out is unfeasible.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:56:54 AM »

I would agree to an ensuing amendment that reduces the office holding provisions back to normal and slightly raises the time/posting limits for joining.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »

I swear if this fails in the Mideast...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies