Five GOP hopefuls already eliminated for 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:23:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Five GOP hopefuls already eliminated for 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Five GOP hopefuls already eliminated for 2012?  (Read 2220 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2009, 12:46:25 AM »

It's appears that five leading potential candidates for 2012 Republican presidential nomination are already eliminated for various reasons.

I'm not going to waste a space for John Ensign and Mark Sanford, who are two of these five candidates. But it sure that they not going to be the nominees.

It's unlikely that Charlie Crist would run, as he is seeking (and almost certainly would win) Senate seat from Florida istead of reelection. I don't think he'd seek presidency just two years after moving from Tallahesse to D.C.

Jon Huntsman will be soon out as he's taking Ambasadorship in the P.R.C. Doubtful he'd run in 2012 against Obama, as first of all he's leaving the country and after all he accepted that post from Obama.

Notheless, while Ensign and Sanford appeared to be finished, Huntsman and Crist are strong possibilities in 2016.

And the fifth is of course Sarah Palin. I agree with Larry Sabato that her sudden resignation effectively eliminated her as 2012 frontrunner. She really should wait, retire in 2010 and, like Romney did, then devoted next two years for running.

Sudden resignation made her look, well, immature. She could be eaisly attacked by a mode: "when she's President, would she did the same thing after some unfriendly arcicles?".

Right now, looks like there's going to be Romney v. Huckabee v. Gingrich race, but a dark horse no one excepts now can emerge as well. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 12:53:02 AM »

Right now, looks like there's going to be Romney v. Huckabee v. Gingrich race, but a dark horse no one excepts now can emerge as well. 

And Pawlenty. But he OK'd the GOP-hated Franken. Romney is a dog-abusing Mormon, Huckabee a weak fundraiser with no appeal in swing-states and Gingrich's best days are 15 years in the past. Even Barbour is a right winger with no appeal in swing states.

So, safe Obama, unless it is revealed that he fathered a child with a white woman ...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »

I guess ritual seppuku sounds better than being crushed by Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »

So, safe Obama, unless it is revealed that he fathered a child with a white woman ...

Right, there is absolutely no chance that things will go badly for Obama. 85 state landslide.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:08:21 AM »

Right, there is absolutely no chance that things will go badly for Obama. 85 state landslide.

Duh, there are only 57 states.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:30:42 AM »

Now, the question is, will the Establishment choice be Romney or Gingrich? Ugh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:42:13 AM »

Dude, that's like saying it was a choice between only Lieberman and Kerry. It's so early. There will be plenty of others that will run. If anything, this opens the race up to better candidates.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:43:45 AM »

The chances Sanford, Ensign, or Palin would've been the GOP nominee before their scandals were slim in the first place. It isn't like a lot has changed. Palin was just being Palin. I've always known she was a nutcase.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »

Palin was just being Palin. I've always known she was a nutcase.

You may disagree with her decision but I don't see how this resignation proves she's a nutcase.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 02:11:03 AM »

You may disagree with her decision but I don't see how this resignation proves she's a nutcase.

Signing letters as God isn't exactly a sign of a healthy mind.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:59:03 AM »

If that is the only question, then we already know the answer. (Hint: It isn't going to be Gingrich.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 04:05:28 AM »

Signing letters as God isn't exactly a sign of a healthy mind.

I haven't the slightest idea what this means.  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »

after Trig was born she sent emails out to people, speaking in an omnipotent point of view, I believe, signed "The Creator" or some such thing

it's part of the recent leaks that have been occurring the last few days
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 04:08:40 AM »

after Trig was born she sent emails out to people, speaking in an omnipotent point of view, I believe, signed "The Creator" or some such thing

Well, if the President signed a few e-mails as "The One" as a joke, I certainly wouldn't care.  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 04:15:31 AM »

what if it wasn't a joke?

Anyway, I dug up the reference px was yawnin' 'bout:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/08/sarah-palin200908?currentPage=4

This VF piece, with its fresh and new perspective on old news, is probably the #1 catalyst for her resignation yesterday if the scandal rumor turns out to be nothing but dust.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 04:20:53 AM »

Lunar beat me. The woman obviously has issues.
She is a pathlogical liar and even when confronted with the truth she refuses to accept it.
This whole whoper about Trig's birth and the flight from Texas can make one wonder about her mental stability.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »

She helped create the baby. Big deal. Do you really think Palin was comparing herself to God? Really? Signing it "Your Heavenly Father" makes me believe it was a light hearted.

As for the rest of your post, do you mean to tell me people like Biden and Obama aren't narcissistic? What's the big deal here? We may dislike it (and believe me when I say that I do) but this isn't news in politics.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »

that is about what they are saying.

it's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time until 2012 people.  and Obama is already screwing up this country royally.  what will our debt be then?  How bad will unemployment and infaltion be then?  HOw many more dictators will he have bowed to and begged for forgiveness for American agression?  What about the gun issue it is NOT going away and Americans are NOT happy!

I am not as confident as I used to be partly because of being so desgusted by all the liberal arrogance here.  BUT I still feel the messiahs' chances are not good given how bad his is effing every thing up.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »

I agree about the others, but would people please stop mentioning Ensign as a leading GOP hopeful before his scandal broke out?  Unlike Sanford, no one was taking his presidential aspirations seriously.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »

Unlike Sanford, no one was taking his presidential aspirations seriously.

Sad
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »

"The Creator"?

That's actually kinda funny.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

I'd say that, barring a scandal, significant shift in the key issues, or a strong dark horse, Romney will be the front runner going into 2011 (the start of the campaign season).
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 03:42:45 PM »

I'd say that, barring a scandal, significant shift in the key issues, or a strong dark horse, Romney will be the front runner going into 2011 (the start of the campaign season).
Yup.  Probably a pretty safe bet...him or huckabee.

Pawlenty is very impressive but I cant account for his poor numbers in his home state.  Do not rule out a breakthru in the next year or so by some strong, squeaky clean conservative who becomes the primary anti-obama spokesman for the gop.  It could be one of my favorites (coburn or demint) or it could be someone like Eric Canter Sam Brownback or John Thune.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 05:30:49 PM »

that is about what they are saying.

it's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time until 2012 people.  and Obama is already screwing up this country royally.  what will our debt be then?  How bad will unemployment and infaltion be then?  HOw many more dictators will he have bowed to and begged for forgiveness for American agression?  What about the gun issue it is NOT going away and Americans are NOT happy!
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Historical precedent, fellow. The low-yield, long-term, illiquid investments -- many of them small businesses -- create wealth as little else can. They fail singly, and not in one fell swoop. They can't buy political influence as can the giant corporations that bought the Congressional GOP and Dubya. They force people to make the best of flawed communities instead of suggesting that people who don't like their current situation can easily pick up and leave. People will have to create wealth before they consume income.

The easy money that many got when Dubya was President was from selling off wealth or from ripping off people who couldn't protect themselves.   
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »

When was the last time a "dark horse" candidate won the Republican nomination?  It's always the "next in line" candidate who wins with the Republicans; the dark horses are the ones who always win the Democrats' nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies