Now I understand the appeal of Obama to the teenage slackers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:09:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Now I understand the appeal of Obama to the teenage slackers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Now I understand the appeal of Obama to the teenage slackers  (Read 2374 times)
Coburn In 2012

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 11:18:26 AM »

Carl,

thanks for some very important food for thought.  Very good post.

Ah, we now have official confirmation that this is a joke thread

Sorry.  I forgot the rule.

If liberals disagree with it, it's a joke thread.  my bad
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »

Its sad how lefties don't seem to mind the harm their policies inflict on those who are most vunerable.

You know I never use to get that but I do now.  its like with welfare.  The so called great society didn't help the blacks or poor people it just helped to keep them all poor.  Republicans have had better ideas like makeing people pull themselves up by thier own boot straps.  Some times the old sayings are true.  You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day (and become dependant on you for his next fish) or you can teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a life time.

the democRAT plan is to give free handouts.  the Republican plan is to promote responsability, self sufficiency and hard work.

Silly, there's no such thing as a "free handout" because it's been paid for through taxes. Receiving unemployment payments isn't free for the payee either - they've already been paying into the system (consider it a tax return of sorts), and they've had to lose their job. The latter is a serious cost to an individual and his/her family as well as the economy at large. If you're disadvantaged but employed and lose your job, you still have money to stay afloat before a new opportunity arises. Actually, the amount you receive is pretty meager, I understand (never been on employment myself even though I've been eligible). My point is that if those unemployed are receiving no income, they won't spend as much, which will slow the economy, and potentially cause even more people to lose their jobs.

There are, of course, arguments to be made. If we cut unemployment payments, taxes may be lowered, which means people could have saved more money if their situation changes for the worse. But without any ongoing stream of income I would argue that it's harder for a disadvantaged family to stay afloat than if they had been saving more money through lower taxes and more savings. There's also the line of thought that a poor family is taxed less/not at all, so it isn't fair to be receiving tax dollars through such entitlements. But, do you honestly think that a poor family who save up what little money they earn through lower taxes, loses their job, and begins receiving welfare, are really living the high life or something? These people are already in sh**t, often through no fault of their own, and you'd have them receive nothing after they lose work? That's not helpful, it's not a positive motivator, and when things get really desperate crime likely rises as a result - especially when the prospect of new work is so bad, let alone -better- work.

Bearing fully in mind that you may not be a real poster ("pull themselves up by their own boot straps?" Seriously? I always thought the only people who used that quote anymore were liberals mocking conservatives) along with the facts that there are people who abuse the system and of course unemployed people aren't the only ones who receive welfare checks, I'd ask what you'd suggest people in areas with awful opportunities for education, work, raising their living conditions, with high crime and no option for moving, etc should do after they've lost their low-income job, instead of accepting temporary welfare checks.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »

Carl,

thanks for some very important food for thought.  Very good post.

Ah, we now have official confirmation that this is a joke thread

Sorry.  I forgot the rule.

If liberals disagree with it, it's a joke thread.  my bad

Oh, i see you're on a roll, please continue Smiley
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »

Its sad how lefties don't seem to mind the harm their policies inflict on those who are most vunerable.

You know I never use to get that but I do now.  its like with welfare.  The so called great society didn't help the blacks or poor people it just helped to keep them all poor.  Republicans have had better ideas like makeing people pull themselves up by thier own boot straps.  Some times the old sayings are true.  You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day (and become dependant on you for his next fish) or you can teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a life time.

the democRAT plan is to give free handouts.  the Republican plan is to promote responsability, self sufficiency and hard work.

Silly, there's no such thing as a "free handout" because it's been paid for through taxes.

I stand totally corrected.  Thank you. you are right.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »

Great. I'm making a mental note to never bother addressing you again. Should have known it would be a magnificently unrewarding waste of my time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies