Does your family know about opebo?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:35:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does your family know about opebo?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Does your family know about opebo?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Does your family know about opebo?  (Read 3355 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »

I think I called someone a fat the other day whilst speaking to a friend. Didn't bring up opebo, though. I may have mentioned him to a friend in the past, but I can't recall.

Only two of my closer friends know I post here, and I almost got one to join last year, but he never started posting. It's unfortunate, because they are eccentric americophiles who love the GOP.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »

I might have told my brother about him, but nothing big.  We were talking about the Dateline stings of guys going there to meet young girls.

those should be illegal

Definitely entrapment.  I agree.

No, it's not "definitely" entrapment.  Roll Eyes

Not saying it's ok for people to exploit pre-teens in Southeast Asia, but Dateline sure as hell flirts with entrapment.

You have to make someone to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do in order to qualify for that. I really don't see how offering someone sex with a fake 12 year old only to arrest them as soon as they're stupid enough to show up falls under that.

You don't have to make them do anything. If you suggest committing a crime to someone & they do it, that's entrapment.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 03:47:11 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 03:49:07 AM by Mint »

I might have told my brother about him, but nothing big.  We were talking about the Dateline stings of guys going there to meet young girls.

those should be illegal

Definitely entrapment.  I agree.

No, it's not "definitely" entrapment.  Roll Eyes

Not saying it's ok for people to exploit pre-teens in Southeast Asia, but Dateline sure as hell flirts with entrapment.

You have to make someone to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do in order to qualify for that. I really don't see how offering someone sex with a fake 12 year old only to arrest them as soon as they're stupid enough to show up falls under that.

You don't have to make them do anything. If you suggest committing a crime to someone & they do it, that's entrapment.

Actually it's not, at least not in the vast majority of cases. You have to prove that the person under ordinary circumstances would not have committed the crime essentially. The simple act of suggestion doesn't constitute that unless there's some sort of implicit threat involved or other harassment generally for that reason. This is Criminal Procedure 101 type stuff.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »

Good answer!

As for me of course they do not know - I have to keep up a pretense of 'respectability' with them.  They're deluded hypocrites like most people.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »

Actually it's not, at least not in the vast majority of cases. You have to prove that the person under ordinary circumstances would not have committed the crime essentially. The simple act of suggestion doesn't constitute that unless there's some sort of implicit threat involved or other harassment generally for that reason. This is Criminal Procedure 101 type stuff.

I never said it was necessarily entrapment, nor did I say law enforcement can't do that type of stop (though I do wish they wouldn't).  what I have a problem with is broadcasting this stuff on national tv without even giving the suspect benefit of a trial, as well as the marketing of fear on primetime tv (but Dateline is just one of a thousand sources of that in the media today).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 12:19:15 PM by Torie »

Of course. Smiley  And yes, Opebo is family in a way.  I enjoy his "company."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »