Employee Free Choice Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:05:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Employee Free Choice Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If you were a legislator, how would you vote on it?
Democrat: Aye

Democrat: Nay

Democrat: Abstain

Republican: Aye

Republican: Nay

Republican: Abstain

independent/third party: Aye

independent/third parrty: Nay

independent/third party: Abstain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Employee Free Choice Act  (Read 6646 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »

And a brief description of the legislation, from Wiki:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) (H.R. 1409, S. 560) is a pending piece of legislation in the United States. Its text states that it would "amend the National Labor Relations Act to establish an easier system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes."  The latest version was introduced into both chambers of the U.S. Congress on 10 March 2009.

In order for a workplace to organize under current U.S. labor law, the card check process begins when an employee requests blank cards from an existing union, and requests signatures on the cards from his or her colleagues.  Once 30% of the work force in a particular workplace bargaining unit has signed the cards, the employer may decide to hold a secret ballot election on the question of unionization.  In practice, the results of the card check usually are not presented to the employer until 50% or 60% of bargaining-unit employees have signed the cards.  If the employer decides to demand an election, and the majority of votes in the election favor the union, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) will certify it as the exclusive representative of the employees of that particular bargaining unit for the purpose of collective bargaining.

If enacted, the EFCA would change the currently existing procedure to require the NLRB to certify the union as the bargaining representative without directing an election if a majority of employees signed cards.  The EFCA would take away employers' present right to decide whether to use only the card-check process or to hold a secret-ballot election among employees in a particular bargaining unit, and instead give the right to the employees to choose a secret-ballot election in cases where less than a majority of employees has chosen to unionize through card-check.  The proposed legislation would still require a secret-ballot election when at least 30% of employees petition for an election.

The proposed legislation would also establish stricter penalties for employers who violate provisions of the NLRA when workers seek to form a union, and set in place new mediation and arbitration procedures for disputes.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »

D-  Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »

I - NAY
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

Aye (D).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

Nay(R)

Nothing like a payback to special interests groups from an administration who promised us a change from the way things were done in the past. This bill will destroy small business and I am sicking of Obama driving this economy further into the hole just to pay back the special interests who helped elect him.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »

There's no real reason to vote against this other than "I hate unions."

Aye, of course.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »

Aye, of course.

I don't hate unions. I do hate potential intimidation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »

Aye, of course.

I very much doubt any potential intimidation would be worse than already existing intimidation from the businesses themselves and the negative effects that has.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 04:42:43 PM »

Nay (I/O)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »

Nay (R)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

Aye, of course.

I very much doubt any potential intimidation would be worse than already existing intimidation from the businesses themselves and the negative effects that has.

And you are not wrong on that.  Even worse unions that do exist are scared to death of losing their jobs.  I had to make a less than ideal career move because of a limp dick union that did nothing to help me and the culture of intimidation that prevailed.  And this was a government job too.  Let's just say the Bush appointed NLRB gave government managers free reign to f--k with people and those who complied got handsomely rewarded.   
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »

D-Aye
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »

Aye (D). All this bill would do it put the union-owner influence on a level footing, so that workers get the chance to make a real decision.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »

D - (Nay)

I mean, I don't have any problems with the idea of unions -- I think they should be free to form by anyone that wants to without a vote and attempt any negotiation they please.  And if the company decides to sign a contract, I see no problem with there being legal avenues to ensure a contract is enforced between parties, like any other contract. 

I see what the labor unions are complaining about -- that the current election-union system allows the company to fire unionizers, delay elections beyond reasonability, etc., and that's all silly and what not, but the solution of having 51% of the employees signing cards result in company-wide unionization seems significantly less fair.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »

D - (Nay)

I mean, I don't have any problems with the idea of unions -- I think they should be free to form by anyone that wants to without a vote and attempt any negotiation they please.  And if the company decides to sign a contract, I see no problem with there being legal avenues to ensure a contract is enforced between parties, like any other contract. 

I see what the labor unions are complaining about -- that the current election-union system allows the company to fire unionizers, delay elections beyond reasonability, etc., and that's all silly and what not, but the solution of having 51% of the employees signing cards result in company-wide unionization seems significantly less fair.

I agree that a mere majority being able to enforce unionization is rather unfair, but it also seems like that would be more of an argument in favor of right-to-work laws than against the EFCA.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »

I: Nay
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 02:26:56 AM »

I wouldn't vote for it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

Aye, of course.

Dude, workers are intimidated all day every day by their owners (and their overseers).
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »

Nay, R
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:18 PM »

Aye
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

A majority of members being able to force unionization is no more unfair than a majority of Americans being able to force taxation.

In both cases the minority that doesn't want to pay still enjoys the benefits (the fact that unions exist at all helps all workers, even non-unionzed ones, as everyone's pay and benefits are higher because employers must keep them high in an effort to keep a union from forming).

The bottom line is that the choice we have is between management holding all the cards and labor being forced to accept management's terms, or the two being on a level playing field with labor and management both having a voice.

Any business owner or CEO who is looking at the long term future of his company and not just at the next quarterly earnings report or stock price understands this, and is willing to give labor a seat at the table and listen to its concerns. It's not just about fairness, it's about good business practice, too, though most shareholders don't care about the long term health of the companies that they own stock in, for obvious reasons, and pressure the CEO accordingly.

And yes, of course all organizations can be and are occasionally corrupt. I don't deny that for a minute, and it certainly applies to both unions and corporate CEOs alike. Management is allowed to campaign against a union on company grounds and on company time; labor should be permitted to make similar arguments in favor of one.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

A majority of members being able to force unionization is no more unfair than a majority of Americans being able to force taxation.

In both cases the minority that doesn't want to pay still enjoys the benefits (the fact that unions exist at all helps all workers, even non-unionzed ones, as everyone's pay and benefits are higher because employers must keep them high in an effort to keep a union from forming).

The bottom line is that the choice we have is between management holding all the cards and labor being forced to accept management's terms, or the two being on a level playing field with labor and management both having a voice.

Any business owner or CEO who is looking at the long term future of his company and not just at the next quarterly earnings report or stock price understands this, and is willing to give labor a seat at the table and listen to its concerns. It's not just about fairness, it's about good business practice, too, though most shareholders don't care about the long term health of the companies that they own stock in, for obvious reasons, and pressure the CEO accordingly.

And yes, of course all organizations can be and are occasionally corrupt. I don't deny that for a minute, and it certainly applies to both unions and corporate CEOs alike. Management is allowed to campaign against a union on company grounds and on company time; labor should be permitted to make similar arguments in favor of one.

Which has nothing to do with this bill because unions are already elected by majority vote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »

So is this true in any case where there is a danger of free-riderism?

Let's take the example of an environmentalist lobbying organization that succeeds, from the donations of its members, in curbing pollution in a way that in no way costs the taxpayers any money.  Should I be morally or legally obligated to contribute to them?

I'm not sure if I accept that the social contract automatically applies to the workplace...
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

So is this true in any case where there is a danger of free-riderism?

Let's take the example of an environmentalist lobbying organization that succeeds, from the donations of its members, in curbing pollution in a way that in no way costs the taxpayers any money.  Should I be morally or legally obligated to contribute to them?

I'm not sure if I accept that the social contract automatically applies to the workplace...

No, I don't support all workplaces being forced to unionize, of course. But allowing individual members to opt out would destroy the entire system, just as it would with taxation. If that's someone's goal, fine, but at least be honest about the motive. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies