If you were Kerry's campaign manager what would you have done differently
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you were Kerry's campaign manager what would you have done differently
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were Kerry's campaign manager what would you have done differently  (Read 2830 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2009, 06:05:48 AM »

If you were Kerry's campaign manager in 2004, what would you have done differently in 2004?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »

Selectively focused my efforts on the non-Evangelicals in the mountain West.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:22 AM »

Kerry actually ran a very solid campaign and one cannot point to any mistake on the scale of McCain halting his campaign or even the pick of Palin.  The biggest mistake Kerry made was when he gave the infamous "voted for, before voted against" thing on the war funding bill, so I guess my #1 change would be to:

1) Do not let him talk about the ins and outs of individual pieces of legislation.

Although that's with complete hindsight, natch.

other things...

2) No windsurfing, no doing anything that rich people do.
3) No pretend-hunting and whatnot.  Keep your dignity but without reminding people that you have tens of millions of dollars.

4) Edwards was a tool.  Pick someone better.  My 2008 research on potential VPs was extremely in depth, not so for 2004, so I don't have any good ideas.  Maybe because Kerry's campaign was doomed to lose if it was just "solid" (as fixing 1-3 probably wouldn't have made him win Ohio), the "right" choice would have been a bold, *cough* Palinesque approach?  Jeanne Shaheen?  Whatevsky, something bold would have been key here.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2009, 06:25:45 AM by Einzige »

1) Do not let him talk about the ins and outs of individual pieces of legislation.

Although that's with complete hindsight, natch.

other things...

2) No windsurfing, no doing anything that rich people do.
3) No pretend-hunting and whatnot.  Keep your dignity but without reminding people that you have tens of millions of dollars.

I find it absolutely pathetic that those things matter at all to the many, many hovel-dwelling ignoramuses that populate our Fruity Plains. In an ideal world a candidate would have enough sense of self-worth not to stoop to mindless cultural pandering, on either side.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Too bad Brian Schweitzer didn't win in '00; he'd have been excellent.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »

Yeah, politics is sort of ironic like that.  The entire reason we elect representatives is that the average person is too stupid to understand the complexities of legislating, yet we expect our legislators to be people "like us."  Meh, I'm pretty sure Intro to Psychology 1 has that all covered.

I can't help but think Kerry should have selected a woman "just to shake things up" or what have you.  Kerry ran a boring, textbook campaign because Bush's approval ratings were poor enough that he really didn't have to do anything else.  He lost, but at the time, he probably made the correct decision.  In retrospect, a solid campaign was insufficient and a great campaign, requiring risks (or perceived risks, like selecting a female VP, go figure), was needed.  Meh, it'd need to be a woman who didn't highlight Kerry's perceived super-liberalism... like I said, I have no idea.  Landrieu maybe?  Maybe she'd contrast too much with Kerrydawg.  Someone to placate blue collar men and women in Ohio, basically.  The pick of Edwards ("son of a mill worker") was attempted to be that but he came across as he was, an empty prettyboy.   

I don't really think 2008 would have been the year to go after the Mountain West.  It took the repudiation of the Iraq War for those states to enter play in a close race, which didn't happen until 2006...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

screw it, I might have just done Kerry/Kerrey
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »

I wouldn't have been Mary Beth Cahill, for one thing.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »

I would have fought back against the lies and smears, for one thing.  I would definitely have avoided the stunts involving windsurfiing and skeet shooting.  Though the party might have tried to prevent it, I would have looked for a liberal Republican running mate.  I am not sure which Republicans endorsed Kerry but I have asked one of them to join him on the ticket.  Someone retired like Alan Simpson or Nancy Kassebaum.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »

He simply wasn't authentic enough.  His appeals to the common man were very shallow.  He should have made more of a connection to his soldier background, and stayed more passionate on foreign policy issues.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:16 PM »

I don't really think anything could've been done.

Kerry just wasn't very likable and I really never saw Bush losing from the start of the Dem primaries to the day of the general election.  And despite what far-lefters have you believe, Bush wasn't really hated then.  It was completely his election to lose.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »

In retrospect, Kerry's campaign was tone-deaf, but hardly a catastrophe.  He still almost won.

Einzige's suggestion is not with the times.  Sure, Kerry could've swung New Mexico with a little luck/more effort, but Colorado was probably still beyond the Democrats' reach in 2004.  New Mexico (and even Nevada and Iowa) would've only made it a 269/269 tie that the Republican-controlled Congress would've broken.

For better or worse, Kerry made the right decision on gambling the farm on Ohio.  It didn't work, but it very well might've.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

don't talk about Vietnam for an hour at the DNC
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

Don't run in the first place.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:05 PM »

Run well to the left on economic issues. Ohio was ripe for the plucking, but Kerry had no credibility because he voted for NAFTA and endorsed DLC-style economics.

Yes, that's what any "campaign manager" would tell a candidate who might not be certain of winning. Keep your day job, pal.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »

Tell him to resign for the good of the country and move to Iran or France.  Kerry was the ultimate america hating coward and surrender monkey.

If the DemocRAT party had run Zell Miller then maybe they would show America they were serious about returning to the partys roots rather than kissing minority butt and appeasing our enemies.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »

^^^^ loling at Coburn's stupidity

I would've told Kerry to only campaign in Vermont , no ADs, don't go to the debates, make controversial statements

Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:58 AM »

Tell him to resign for the good of the country and move to Iran or France.  Kerry was the ultimate america hating coward and surrender monkey.

I guess you're angry because he opposed gay marriage.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 01:04:15 AM »

I guess you're angry because he opposed gay marriage.

Hey, he'll accept it when he's ready. You don't need to keep bothering him about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies