Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd)  (Read 6868 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »

Could the nays explain themselves? Because I got nothing from you kind sirs during the long debate period. Not a big fan of teh gayz?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »

Could the nays explain themselves? Because I got nothing from you kind sirs during the long debate period. Not a big fan of teh gayz?

Some people might consider the expansion of free trade to be a higher priority.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »

The reason I voted Nay is because I think this would be very inneffectual in achieving anything better for Gay righths abroad. Most countries that do criminalise homosexuality do so for Religious reasons and many of these countries are so fervent in there beliefs that it will take more then money to shake them of that opinion. As for the last question, from the distinguished gentleman, I will decline to answer on the account that it has nothing to do with my vote here on this bill.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »

Line our pockets, screw the fags? Wink

The reason I voted Nay is because I think this would be very inneffectual in achieving anything better for Gay righths abroad.

I'm just going to hope that was a typo or a bad joke.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is about the principle of the matter and it's about human rights. We have a trade restriction bill on the Senate floor up for a vote right now that has to do with banning companies from doing trade with Iran when it comes to communications technologies. Both yourself and MasterJedi, social conservatives both, voted in favor of such a trade restriction, yet here when we have a trade restriction bill that deals with the oppression of homosexuals, you both vote against it.

There's a double standard here that's startling. When it comes to the suppression of human rights and peaceful protests in Iran, you favor restrictions, when it comes to the violating of human rights and the oppression of a minority around the world, you're all against restrictions.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »

Abstain

I will change my vote to Aye if we may act on my amendment, proposed as friendly, to add the words "at the discretion of the SoEA." Otherwise, I cannot vote for something that would effectively repeal a number of FTAs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »

Abstain

I will change my vote to Aye if we may act on my amendment, proposed as friendly, to add the words "at the discretion of the SoEA." Otherwise, I cannot vote for something that would effectively repeal a number of FTAs.

So, instead, make it a bill that is effectively toothless, left at the mercy of the SoEA?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 07:32:21 PM »

When this most likely passes I'll introduce another bill that amendmends it with that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »

Abstain

So, instead, make it a bill that is effectively toothless, left at the mercy of the SoEA?

Because of course HappyWarrior is an ardent free trader who'll basically nullify the bill, right?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »

Abstain

Because of course HappyWarrior is an ardent free trader who'll basically nullify the bill, right?

Well, undoubtedly there will be other SoEAs you know Tongue

I could accept the amendment, I suppose, though I'm not thrilled about it. If MJ wants to cancel the final vote over it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »

Line our pockets, screw the fags? Wink

You know, Marokai, that Mikado once suggested that I change my Display name to "Business Friend" if Bob Dole ever returned to the forums.

The reason I voted Nay is because I think this would be very inneffectual in achieving anything better for Gay righths abroad.

I'm just going to hope that was a typo or a bad joke.

Yes it was a typo, a very common occurance for me for several reasons.
1. I type fast to make up for lost time loading posts(I have Dial up)
2. I am sitting next to an Air Conditioner.

This is about the principle of the matter and it's about human rights. We have a trade restriction bill on the Senate floor up for a vote right now that has to do with banning companies from doing trade with Iran when it comes to communications technologies. Both yourself and MasterJedi, social conservatives both, voted in favor of such a trade restriction, yet here when we have a trade restriction bill that deals with the oppression of homosexuals, you both vote against it.

There's a double standard here that's startling. When it comes to the suppression of human rights and peaceful protests in Iran, you favor restrictions, when it comes to the violating of human rights and the oppression of a minority around the world, you're all against restrictions.

Cause we have a better hope of getting them to adopt Democracy then getting them to accept Gays. We open them up to liberalization then the rights of not just gays but women and minorities becomes possible as well. You can't skip ahead an challenge them on something that they are motivated by a fundamental religious zeal on. Finally I don't appreciate my motivations and my own honesty being doubted by the distinguished gentlemen.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »

Abstain

Well, undoubtedly there will be other SoEAs you know Tongue

I could accept the amendment, I suppose, though I'm not thrilled about it. If MJ wants to cancel the final vote over it.

Unless someone like me or SPC finds himself appointed SoEA, I don't think you have much to worry about there.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »

So Marokai, if I cancel the final vote you'll accept the amendment as friendly and then we can start the final vote again?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »

So Marokai, if I cancel the final vote you'll accept the amendment as friendly and then we can start the final vote again?

Affirmative.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »

Affirmative.

Okay, the final vote is cancelled. Now it's up to you to officially accept it. Yes it's kinda annoying to post it again, but we're just doing everything by the book here.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

Affirmative.

Okay, the final vote is cancelled. Now it's up to you to officially accept it. Yes it's kinda annoying to post it again, but we're just doing everything by the book here.

No problem. Smiley

The SoEA's page was already updated with the legislation repealing it.

Anyways, I imagine this legislation would automatically render void all aforementioned legislation and we'd need to pass a new FTA if there's any change, correct?

Not if we add the words "at the discretion of the SoEA" (offered as friendly). That would allow the SoEA to simply change our status in relations without revoking laws.

Amendment accepted as friendly, of course. I apologize for trying to push it through without it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2009, 09:20:33 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Ok then, I hereby open up a final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:41 PM »

Nay
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »

Well, there is a spelling mistake in the new bill. ''Descrestion'', the good word should be ''discretion''
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »

Well, there is a spelling mistake in the new bill. ''Descrestion'', the good word should be ''discretion''

I thought I fixed that when I posted it. Anyways it's fixed now and won't affect the vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies