Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:46:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amendment to the LGBT Trade Act (Law'd)  (Read 6933 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 06, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »

I support this carry-over from the last Senate.

Why are we limiting free trade based on this?  Personally I'd love to eliminate free trade with any nation that allows abortion.  We simply cannot start deciding which issues make free trade acceptable and which make it immoral.  Free trade should be free trade with no feel good strings attached

The purpose of this is not to limit free trade, but to spur nations with such restrictions to change their policies. Consider it our version of soft power.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »

What are the chances that actually works, and more importantly what makes this issue more important than say, the fact that I don't like when countries allow abortion.

Economic and social issues are seperate and should stay that way.

Considering we assume Atlasia has a pretty sizable economy, I imagine such exertion of soft power would be pretty useful. I would like to see a clause providing discretion to the SoEA, in case progress, but not full reform, is seen in a country.

And the only difference between this and abortion is this was proposed while yours was not.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »

This would restrict trade with the nations in orange, yellow, reddish pinkish. This would also make the current FTAs illegal:

F.L. 17-1: Atlasian-Kuwait Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-12: Atlasian-Bahrain Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-11: Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Act
F.L. 13-10: Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Act

and the following parts of:

F.L. 13-7: Caribbean Free Trade Act (with Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago)
F.L. 13-6: South American Free Trade Act (Guyana)

My hope is that the GM will begin to alter the world based on our legislation, rather than follow the exact goings-on in the world. So he may report that some nations capitulate to us, while others do not and real current events become less meaningful.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »

Well, Wiki is not upgraded for that.

Edit: Upgraded now.

The SoEA's page was already updated with the legislation repealing it.

Anyways, I imagine this legislation would automatically render void all aforementioned legislation and we'd need to pass a new FTA if there's any change, correct?

Not if we add the words "at the discretion of the SoEA" (offered as friendly). That would allow the SoEA to simply change our status in relations without revoking laws.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »

Abstain

I will change my vote to Aye if we may act on my amendment, proposed as friendly, to add the words "at the discretion of the SoEA." Otherwise, I cannot vote for something that would effectively repeal a number of FTAs.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »

Abstain.

The bill is pointless with the new amendment.

How so? Were it to pass without that clause a number of FTAs would simple be repealed. So even were nations to reform after passage, we would have to pass whole new FTAs for them.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

Abstain.

The bill is pointless with the new amendment.

How so? Were it to pass without that clause a number of FTAs would simple be repealed. So even were nations to reform after passage, we would have to pass whole new FTAs for them.

I see your point. Perhaps we should have included language to make sure that the FTA would be reinstated as soon as legalization took place?

I think we can trust in our SoEA to use discretion responsibly. Not to mention, it can only help the process to add these sorts of clauses, lending added strength to Cabinet members and forcing the President and Senate to actually care who the members are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies