Britain Most Violent Country in Europe, Worse than South Africa and US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Britain Most Violent Country in Europe, Worse than South Africa and US
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Britain Most Violent Country in Europe, Worse than South Africa and US  (Read 2069 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:42:43 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

By James Slack
Last updated at 12:14 AM on 03rd July 2009

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.

Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries.

The figures comes on the day new Home Secretary Alan Johnson makes his first major speech on crime, promising to be tough on loutish behaviour.

The Tories said Labour had presided over a decade of spiralling violence.

In the decade following the party's election in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77 per cent to 1.158million - or more than two every minute.

The figures, compiled from reports released by the European Commission and United Nations, also show:

* The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.
    * It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
    * The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.
    * It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.

But it is the naming of Britain as the most violent country in the EU that is most shocking. The analysis is based on the number of crimes per 100,000 residents.

In the UK, there are 2,034 offences per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.

Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: 'This is a damning indictment of this government's comprehensive failure over more than a decade to tackle the deep rooted social problems in our society, and the knock on effect on crime and anti-social behaviour.

'We're now on our fourth Home Secretary this parliament, and all we are getting is a rehash of old initiatives that didn't work the first time round. More than ever Britain needs a change of direction.'

The figures, compiled by the Tories, are considered the most accurate and up-to-date available.

But criminologists say crime figures can be affected by many factors, including different criminal justice systems and differences in how crime is reported and measured.

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

There are also degrees of violence. While the UK ranks above South Africa for all violent crime, South Africans suffer more than 20,000 murders each year - compared with Britain's 921 in 2007.

Experts say there are a number of reasons why violence is soaring in the UK. These include Labour's decision to relax the licensing laws to allow round-the-clock opening, which has led to a rise in the number of serious assaults taking place in the early hours of the morning.

But Police Minister David Hanson said: 'These figures are misleading.
Levels of police recorded crime statistics from different countries are simply not comparable since they are affected by many factors, for example the recording of violent crime in other countries may not include behaviour that we would categorise as violent crime.

'Violent crime in England and Wales has fallen by almost a half a peak in 1995 but we are not complacent and know there is still work to do. That is why last year we published 'Saving lives. Reducing harm. Protecting the public. An Action Plan for Tackling Violence 2008-11'.'

The timing of the Europe-wide violence figures is a blow for Mr Johnson, who will today seek to reassert Labour's law and order credentials.

In his first major speech on crime since becoming Home Secretary, Mr Johnson is expected to promise a concerted crack down on antisocial behaviour.

He wants to set up a website to allow the public to see what is taking place in their neighbourhood, such as the number of louts who have been served with Asbos.

Mr Johnson is also known to support early intervention to stop children going off the rails.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:44:58 AM »

Well, this is hardly a surprise - the Anglo-Saxon culture is a rather violent one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:11:49 AM »

More of a measure of nanny-statism than of violence, actually.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:54:27 AM »

More of a measure of nanny-statism than of violence, actually.

Neither of which is good, of course.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »

More violent attacks in Britain, but far smaller murder rate.

Americans just leave you alone or kill you. Liberty or Death.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »

Or the more obvious, Americans don't report violent attacks as much as the Brits.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »

Or the more obvious, Americans don't report violent attacks as much as the Brits.

No, Jacob was right: A violent attack in the US leads to someone's death.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2009, 11:48:46 AM by Ronnie the Bear »

This map from London Profiler shows recorded instances of violence against the person in Greater London by ward. These figures make up the majority of the sorts of crime this article talks about. The locations for the most part are town centres or other areas where people go out drinking (the pattern of drug offences overlaps in places) which suggest these incidents are largely drunkenness-related.

Not much of a surprise to anyone in Britain really, except those who don't go out on the weekend..

Not great, but this is much more petty than violence in other places. Personally I think the homicide rate is the 'best' indicator of how violent a country is, and of serious crime in general. Taking that into consideration makes Britain comparatively much less scary compared to other countries like, say, the US where the homicide rate is around 10 times that of Britain (not intended as a criticism of the US, just an example most forumites will relate to).

However, I somehow doubt US media outlets sensationalize crime 10 times as much as the Daily Mail does over here!
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »

On another note that article is funnily well-balanced in terms of content, just not the bits which it emphasizes for OMGZ!!!11 purposes..
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »

This article surprises me.  I visited London 3 times in 2007.  I found it very safe.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »

This article surprises me.  I visited London 3 times in 2007.  I found it very safe.

You aren't wrong in thinking so - it is very safe by even Western standards (although of course there is a lot of variation as there is in any city).

What parts did you go to? Just the centre/west area or more around the place?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

When I was in Britain last summer parts of the area I was in(Cambridgeshire) felt very safe during the day, however much so during the evening and at night. The same could be said for London also. However on average I felt less safe in the UK then I typically do in the US, maybe it was because I was in an unfamiliar place?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »

What BS statistical comparisons...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

One huge lie.
danny
Israel

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »

comparing the the total number of crime between countries is completely useless.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »

comparing the the total number of crime between countries is completely useless.
Agreed, but that's not what this study did.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:17 AM »

Let's just be honest for a second about the UK:

Kids get out of school at 16, kids between 11-15 are already drinking at least once a week, plus they have soccer.

It's just a recipe for a hornets' nest of violence.
Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 02:53:20 AM »

Something I always try to convince my friends of is that if you get into a fight, you might die very quickly. You don't know who has a gun, a knife, or just knows how to stomp your head into a pulp. Leave violence for the defending your life type situations.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 05:04:51 AM »

Something I always try to convince my friends of is that if you get into a fight, you might die very quickly. You don't know who has a gun, a knife, or just knows how to stomp your head into a pulp. Leave violence for the defending your life type situations.

Well put.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies