For members of or people familiar with the "Church of Christ" and politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:57:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  For members of or people familiar with the "Church of Christ" and politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For members of or people familiar with the "Church of Christ" and politics  (Read 781 times)
politicaladdict
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »
« edited: July 09, 2009, 12:39:59 AM by politicaladdict »

Not "United CoC", Not "Latter-Day Saints" but the one on the Restoration-Movement with no instrumental music and such.

I was never baptized but raised in it and like to ask a few questions about politics.
I was raised a conservative and about 70% of 'CoC' members are either independent conservatives or republicans and even alot of African-Americans who are members tend to leem more republican compared to most blacks in general.

But there are those that are democrats(mostly conservatives) but democrat. I was talking with a guy who I suspect is one but not sure, seems to be a fan of "Al Franken" and I was thinkin what tha heck does that mean.

He says he's against abortion, gay-marriage high-taxes and government-healthcare(where most church members stand on) but a fan of him. He acts like democrats winning is a great thing.

I was wondering why any church member would vote democrat? I know there are those who are against the "Iraq War". Churches of Christ tend to vote for candidates who are pro-life and against gay-marriage and such.
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:02:09 AM »

We have quite a few Church of Christers in my neck of the woods. They make Southern Baptists look like Unitarians. Generally, very nice people. They will not use profanity or even the hokiest of euphamisms ("Jee whiz" for instance, is out.) No dancing. No drinking. You get the idea. While they're obviously going to be conservative on abortion and gay marriage, they may (although more frequently will not) have liberal views on issues like the environment and poverty. As to liking Al Franken, likability is a highly personal trait. Although I have a hard time seeing a Church of Christer liking Franken, it is important to realize that not all members of a denomination are the same. Maybe dude just thinks he's funny.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies