Not Another OSPR Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:33:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Not Another OSPR Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Not Another OSPR Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2744 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2009, 07:54:51 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Not Another OSPR Amendment

Article IV, Section 4 shall hereby include the following as Clause 2, with subsequent clauses renumbered accordingly:

2. Any Senator may designate, during times of announced absence, a fellow member of the Senate to cast votes by proxy on amendments to legislation during said leave. Proxy designation shall only be accepted by public post and shall specify whether it be applicable to all relevant or only specifically identified pieces of legislation. Proxy designation shall last for the period determined by public post, or until the absent Senator has removed such designation by public post, or upon the beginning of a new Senate session, whichever comes first.

Spon: Sen. PurpleState
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »

You know I offered to let you guys take care of all of these as part of my reform to the OSPR, all you had to do was offer them as Amendments and I would have accepted them as friendly. Well I guess there what ever it takes to increase the number of passed bills, make the Senate look like its doing something. Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

You know I offered to let you guys take care of all of these as part of my reform to the OSPR, all you had to do was offer them as Amendments and I would have accepted them as friendly. Well I guess there what ever it takes to increase the number of passed bills, make the Senate look like its doing something. Smiley

I myself prefer to tackle different issues seperatly.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »

Same. I almost added it to one of your pieces, MJ, but I realized they had nothing to do with each other and I didn't want it to slow down other needed reform.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »

I can understand that.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:09:12 AM »

Whoa whoa whoa, I just noticed this and I'm upset that I missed it this long. This does what?

I'm sorry, if a Senator is absent then the Senator is absent. This is not a bright idea at all. This essentially makes sure that almost no vacancies ever happen again and that Senators can delegate their responsibilities to others whenever they like. No no no.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »

Whoa whoa whoa, I just noticed this and I'm upset that I missed it this long. This does what?

I'm sorry, if a Senator is absent then the Senator is absent. This is not a bright idea at all. This essentially makes sure that almost no vacancies ever happen again and that Senators can delegate their responsibilities to others whenever they like. No no no.

If a Senator provides a leave of absence notice, I don't believe we should be stuck without the necessary votes to move legislation, nor do I believe Atlasians should be without representation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

If a Senator provides a leave of absence notice, I don't believe we should be stuck without the necessary votes to move legislation, nor do I believe Atlasians should be without representation.

Delegating responsibilities to an un-elected official though? I have rather serious concerns about that. People who are going to be away for weeks should know better than to run for office, and if it's an unexpected vacancy (such as a blizzard or a serious illness, or something) some people probably won't be able to delegate responsibilities to others. This amendment just makes me rather uncomfortable.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »

Delegating responsibilities to an un-elected official though? I have rather serious concerns about that. People who are going to be away for weeks should know better than to run for office, and if it's an unexpected vacancy (such as a blizzard or a serious illness, or something) some people probably won't be able to delegate responsibilities to others. This amendment just makes me rather uncomfortable.

It specifically delegates it to a fellow elected official. And if the people voted for the Senator, they should trust that he would delegate his vote to the right person. It's not that you have to do it either, if you don't trust anyone. Or only trust someone on a few things.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 02:53:59 AM »

I'm also not very comfortable with this, to be perfectly honest.

Perhaps we could avoid delegating senatorial duties to a fellow official....and simply allow people to post votes in advance on legislation and amendments to legislation.

Like if I know I'm going to be gone for a week, but I'd like to cast my vote before the 3 days are up...that I be able to state that in the thread and have it be counted.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:44:07 AM »

I'm kind of uneasy about this, FWIW.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 08:29:05 AM »

I agree that this is a bad idea.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »

It is only for amendments, rather than final passage of a bill. It would be similar to the current US Senate, which allows proxy votes for markup, but not on final votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on this resolution. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »

Yeah I have to vote NAY for right now....I wish I had officially introduced my amendment in time. Sorry.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »

Nay
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »

But wait, I can stop the final vote now legally? Shall I so you can introduce your amendment?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »

This is optional. I'm not forcing anyone to provide a proxy vote.

Aye.

And I believe you can MJ.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »

This is optional. I'm not forcing anyone to provide a proxy vote.

Aye.

And I believe you can MJ.

I can but I won't. Franzl's leaving in 5 min. and won't have enough time to actually write it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »

Nay, I don't like the idea of any sort of proxy voting or even pre-emptive voting. If you miss a vote, you miss it, sorry.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

I don't like this as written so

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »

Nay. I agree with Marokai. If you miss a vote, well, it sucks for you. Too bad.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »

This is an easy way to ensure that we get the necessary votes to move legislation through the process. As people go on leaves it makes it more difficult to get legislation to final votes because so few votes turn out. This is a sensible way to have the voice of the people heard.

A shame that no one agrees.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 06:26:55 PM »

Abstain
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp