Was the Fugitive Slave Act a violation of state's rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:07:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was the Fugitive Slave Act a violation of state's rights?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above.
Yes

No

Maybe so

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Was the Fugitive Slave Act a violation of state's rights?  (Read 1310 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »

Of course it was. For the Statist South to have passed such a law essentially precipitated the American Civil War, and brought their house down in on them. They had no right in telling the North how to treat the runaways, insofar as it was the runaways themselves, and not the North, that did the escaping.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »

Definitely. Of course, most people only have principles insofar as they help themselves.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:53:04 AM »

Of course it was, but I doubt you care:

For too long have you relied upon like a crutch that decrepit Reaganist mantra - states' rights!
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:56:52 AM »

For too long have you relied upon like a crutch that decrepit Reaganist mantra - states' rights!

Of course I don't, because states' rights has not historically been an individualist position: I am concerned with individual rights, not states' rights. But pointing out the obvious and unending hypocrisy of conservatives who pretend to champion both has long been a forte of mine, and it will continue for the foreseeable future.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:01:27 AM »

Of course I don't, because states' rights has not historically been an individualist position: I am concerned with individual rights, not states' rights. But pointing out the obvious and unending hypocrisy of conservatives who pretend to champion both has long been a forte of mine, and it will continue for the foreseeable future.

And what conservative has defended the Fugutive Slave Act that would warrant such a label of hypocrisy?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:02:38 AM »

And what conservative has defended the Fugutive Slave Act that would warrant such a label of hypocrisy?

I don't know. What's say we get Libertas' perspective on the issue?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:32 AM »

I don't know. What's say we get Libertas' perspective on the issue?

Do you have a quote of him supporting the Fugutive SLave Act, or are you just pulling accusations out of your ass?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »

Of course it was a violation of states' rights, but to claim that the Fugitive Slave Act justified Lincoln's Tariff War is laughable.

If anything it might have given the North justification to secede.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

Of course it was a violation of states' rights, but to claim that the Fugitive Slave Act justified Lincoln's Tariff War is laughable.

Exactly, and that possibility was advocated by many abolitionists at the time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

Exactly, and that possibility was advocated by many abolitionists at the time.

The North definitely should have seceded rather than deal with the political opportunism of the South protecting the interests of the slaver class.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »

Was it an interference with how northern States chose to deal with the question of slavery? Most assuredly so.

Was it unconstitutional? Most assuredly not.  Clearly covered by Article IV Section 2 Clause 3.

For those who argue that instead of judges, juries should have been involved, let me ask if you favor juries for the criminal extradition provisions of Article IV Section 2 Clause 2.

The Constitution as drafted made the United States as a whole a slave-holding country and so it would remain until the XIIIth Amendment.

That is not to say that there are not troubling aspects to the law.  That the fees received by the commissioners depended upon the decision rendered being the prime troubling aspect.

Unfortunately, bad laws need not be unconstitutional laws.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies