Governors or Senators?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:32:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Governors or Senators?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: All other things being equal, would you a president with prior experience as a governor or as a senator?
Governor

Senator

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Governors or Senators?  (Read 1424 times)
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »

I'm just curious...

If you had a governor and a senator who had been in politics for equal length of time, had equal rhetorical skills, and had precisely similar stances on the issues, who would you choose?

That is to say, do you put a premium on the executive management and budget-balancing that falls in a governor's province?  Or is it more important to have experience dealing with the U.S. Congress, grappling with issues of national significance, and engaging in substantive foreign policy concerns?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »

I'd much rather have a Senator as opposed to a Governor.  Foreign policy is what matters to me, and Senators are more likely to have experience versus a Governor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »

Senator, as they would be more aware of foreign policy, as ben said, and they would be more aware of the federal legislative process and would be able to capitalize on preexisting relationships in Congress.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

Senator, for the reasons already mentioned.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »

Governors. They have more executive experience and are likely less corrupt as they have term limits
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »

Senator.  I get the feeling most Dems will vote Senator and most Republicans will vote Governor.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »

Both.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »

Senator.  I get the feeling most Dems will vote Senator and most Republicans will vote Governor.

Why is that? And JewishConservative is far from representative of the actual GOP.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »

Governor. They're theoretically more likely to know how to run the government since they should have the ability to do it at a smaller level. Though having been both at one time or another would be best.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Governor.....our best Presidents have been Governors
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

This far your prediction has been rather accurate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't recall Lincoln, Washington, or Jefferson ever being Governors, but then they were never Senators either. 
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 01:53:35 AM »

This far your prediction has been rather accurate.

I don't recall Lincoln, Washington, or Jefferson ever being Governors, but then they were never Senators either. 

Jefferson was the Governor of Virginia. He was also state legislator, congressman, minister to France, Secretary of State, so he had some experience.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:14 AM »

Washington was the head of the Continental army. That's administration experience, even if it was not civilian administration.

I chose governor.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 08:27:29 AM »

My two favs are Theodore Roosevelt and Reagan.

But also, FDR, Carter, Clinton, and W in recent times.

Interesting how since TR the trend has been to elect Governors.  There were a handful before TR but since his presidency governors are looked upon more favorably it seems.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

Senator, as they would be more aware of foreign policy, as ben said, and they would be more aware of the federal legislative process and would be able to capitalize on preexisting relationships in Congress.

This.

Plus, Governor-Presidents in my lifetime have largely left me unimpressed.  The Decider, Clinton, Reagan, Carter...
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2009, 02:24:04 PM by Ringorules »

This.

Plus, Governor-Presidents in my lifetime have largely left me unimpressed.  The Decider, Clinton, Reagan, Carter...

Yes!  I would be more likely to believe the argument that governors made good executive managers, if our recent ex-governors did not have serious flaws in this category.  Reagan and Bush 43 delegated far, far too much, often to subordinates who were not in the least trustworthy, while Carter micromanaged to the point of being in charge of the White House tennis courts.  Clinton ran the White House with utter entropy and chaos. 

Meanwhile, Ford, Bush 41, LBJ, and so far Obama (all congressmen or senators), have run the White House with clear lines of authority and found a workable balance between doing too much and doing too little. 

As others say, the learning curve for foreign policy is so steep, that I would have reservations with putting even a talented governor at the helm.  Trade agreements with foreign countries and even running the Olympics is no substitute for having to be briefed on wars or serving time on the Armed Services or Foreign Relations committee.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

I would rather be a Senator.
You won't be blamed if your state is a horrible state. I don't think it's as difficult, either. You share the job with another Senator, so you don't take all the heat from your state.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »

Governor, though I don't care too much.  A Governor has to balance a budget, deal with a legislature, actually has to get things done instead of just voting.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »

Governor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42:04 AM »

A governor, for the executive experience.  Although my plan to become President is to do so after being a Senator, so we'll see.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »

I would rather be a Senator.
You won't be blamed if your state is a horrible state. I don't think it's as difficult, either. You share the job with another Senator, so you don't take all the heat from your state.

This.

Yes!  I would be more likely to believe the argument that governors made good executive managers, if our recent ex-governors did not have serious flaws in this category.  Reagan and Bush 43 delegated far, far too much, often to suborindates who were not in the least trustworthy, while Carter micromanaged to the point of being in charge of the White House tennis courts.  Clinton ran the White House with utter entropy and chaos. 

Meanwhile, Ford, Bush 41, LBJ, and so far Obama (all congressmen or senators), have run the White House with clear lines of authority and found a workable balance between doing too much and doing too little. 

As others say, the learning curve for foreign policy is so steep, that I would have reservations with putting even a talented governor at the helm.  Trade agreements with foreign countries and even running the Olympics is no substitute for having to be briefed on wars or serving time on the Armed Services or Foreign Relations committee.

I have to agree with the previous statements.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »

Ideally, someone who spent time as both.  That said, our government has grown so large you need a President who can delegate and pick good people to delegate to.  The odds of getting a polymath who can do everything well are exceedingly slim.  Maybe we should rethink having a single chief executive.

President of Defense and Foreign Affairs.
President of Economic Affairs.
President of Justice and Administration.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »

since i would prefer that the president literally be the governor, i'd say governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies