Newt vs. Mitt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:02:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Newt vs. Mitt
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newt vs. Mitt  (Read 2055 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »

Let's say Gingrich actually runs in 2012. Let's also assume that the 2012 GOP contest focuses on stopping Romney (which I don't necessarily believe will be the case, for the record). Is Newt the heavyhitter that can stop him? Would he stand a good chance based on what we know already about both men? What if Huckabee is in the race - does Newt split up the anti Romney vote or does he take just enough from Huckabee and Romney?

Now I've made it known that I'm not some huge Newt fan. I just happened to be reading up on him and was wondering what it would be like if he actually ran.

I'm also known to be a believer in leaving contenders from 2008 in the past. I don't think they're our best bet for victory in 2012. That being said, I'm sure people are wondering, "Why the hell are you entertaining someone like Newt if you typically want 'figures of the past' left in the past?" The reason why I entertain the idea of Newt 2012 is because the guy is an interesting mix. Yes, I worry about his controveries of the past. They're a major reason why I'm not a big supporter. That being said, the man seems to have reinvented himself on stuff like healthcare and climate change. 

The big winner for Newt is that he might be the perfect mix for the GOP - he isn't some totally folksy, Palin type figure but he can also seem down to Earth  while being an intellectual. That's why I think he can take on Mitt and steal Huckabee's thunder.
CJK
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »

I suspect Newt would not get much traction due to his occassional outbursts and memories of his Speakership, but if he did he probably would take more from Romney than Huck. Remember, Huck campaigned by being socially conservative and anti-business, the exact opposite of Gingrich.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

I suspect Newt would not get much traction due to his occassional outbursts and memories of his Speakership, but if he did he probably would take more from Romney than Huck. Remember, Huck campaigned by being socially conservative and anti-business, the exact opposite of Gingrich.

Since when is Gingrich not a social Conservative?

Were he 10 years younger and without the political missteps and personal scandals of the 90's, I would say screw Romney and go all in with Newt. He is an intellectuall true and yet can be down very down to earth while unlike Palin he would be able to explain his ideas and his positions. I think he would be the best guy to sort of refocus the GOP and give them some new Domestic proposals that people can really sink there teeth into, right now we are scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Can Newt Stop Romney, yes he could. Can he do it with Huck in the mix, most likely not. Would I be unhappy with him as nominee, no but I would prefer someone else.

What Newt should do is try become the next generation intellectual force behind a bright, young, articulate, and intelligent Conservative candidate. There are a number of options from Paul Ryan, to John Thune, to Mike Pence.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »

The last thing the GOP needs is some neocon retread with a history of scandal and controversy. That the choice would have to be made between Gingrich, Romney, and Huckabee is rather telling about how far that party has sunk.

It has to be someone fresh and new, and someone who is committed to conservative principles. Neither Newt nor Mitt fits the criteria.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »

Since when is Gingrich not a social Conservative?

Were he 10 years younger and without the political missteps and personal scandals of the 90's, I would say screw Romney and go all in with Newt. He is an intellectuall true and yet can be down very down to earth while unlike Palin he would be able to explain his ideas and his positions. I think he would be the best guy to sort of refocus the GOP and give them some new Domestic proposals that people can really sink there teeth into, right now we are scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Can Newt Stop Romney, yes he could. Can he do it with Huck in the mix, most likely not. Would I be unhappy with him as nominee, no but I would prefer someone else.

What Newt should do is try become the next generation intellectual force behind a bright, young, articulate, and intelligent Conservative candidate. There are a number of options from Paul Ryan, to John Thune, to Mike Pence.

I doubt Newt would stand a chance at taking down Romney. I know Newt has his hardcore supporters, my dad, for instance, but Newt has very limited appeal. I like Newt, and I like a lot of his policies, but he has way too much baggage for me to want to nominate him and I think Newt himself knows this, which is why he stayed out in 2008.  It will take a crowded field to take down Romney, much like it did in 2008. Had it been only McCain vs. Romney in 2008 I truly believe Romney would have won the nomination.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »

The last thing the GOP needs is some neocon retread with a history of scandal and controversy. That the choice would have to be made between Gingrich, Romney, and Huckabee is rather telling about how far that party has sunk.

It has to be someone fresh and new, and someone who is committed to conservative principles. Neither Newt nor Mitt fits the criteria.

Mitt may not, in your opinion, be the candidate the GOP needs, but he certainly meets the criteria you listed. Fresh and new- Mitt has a youthful look, first took elected office in 2002, has never worked in Washington. He has also shown commitment to conservative principles by working harder than many contenders to fundraise for the NRCC and NRSC and the RNC. Mitt also attempted to take down liberal icon Ted Kennedy, which is a lot more than Bush or McCain ever did. All they did was let him write bills that would come back to haunt them.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

Mitt may not, in your opinion, be the candidate the GOP needs, but he certainly meets the criteria you listed. Fresh and new- Mitt has a youthful look, first took elected office in 2002, has never worked in Washington. He has also shown commitment to conservative principles by working harder than many contenders to fundraise for the NRCC and NRSC and the RNC. Mitt also attempted to take down liberal icon Ted Kennedy, which is a lot more than Bush or McCain ever did. All they did was let him write bills that would come back to haunt them.

Mitt is neither fresh and young nor a conservative (nor a libertarian for that matter).

In order to distinguish themselves from the disastrous policies of Obama, the Republican candidate is going to have to have demonstrated a strong record of commitment to free markets and opposition to the growth of government. Mitt Romney doesn't have that.

And Mitt may look youthful for a man in his sixties, but he's not fooling anyone about being anything other than an old establishment Republican.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »

Romney would and should win.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

If Gingrich somehow won Iowa, and it became a two-way race between him and Romney, the map would look something like this:

I think Romney would win in this scenario, although not by a large delegate margin.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:35:01 PM »

Co-sign.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »

Romney wins
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »

Gingrich won't win Alaska, Florida, the Dakotas, Nebraska, or Indiana. In fact, I'm sure after all those early losses, he ends up dropping before South Carolina, or at least before many of those Southern primaries.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »

Gingrich won't win Alaska, Florida, the Dakotas, Nebraska, or Indiana. In fact, I'm sure after all those early losses, he ends up dropping before South Carolina, or at least before many of those Southern primaries.

Oh guess I did it pretty good because I guessed most of the states! Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:34:29 AM »

Is Newt Gingrich an intellectual now? I fear for our country...
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »

What makes him any less intellectual than any Democrats? Now I know you didn't claim he was worse than them but I assume that you believe so and hope you could provide examples of politicians you find to be intellectuals.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »

Mike Pence?

Bright and intelligent?

LOL
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

If you know that Africa is a continent- not a country- you are an intellectual (read: "elitist") in the GOP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

What makes him any less intellectual than any Democrats? Now I know you didn't claim he was worse than them but I assume that you believe so and hope you could provide examples of politicians you find to be intellectuals.

There are almost no politicians whom I consider intellectuals.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies