Demjanjuk Trial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Demjanjuk Trial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Show or Substance
Show

Substance

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Demjanjuk Trial  (Read 2018 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:18 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090713/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_demjanjuk

Considering he might be dead before the trial's over and even if he's not he won't last long in jail........I'll say show.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »

Show, obviously.

"Old Nazi on trial" is always a good headline to sell stuff. If it was substance, I trust the Israelis would have taken care of him sooner, or even the Yankees would have taken care of him sooner.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

waste of energy, the entire thing
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »

Show. He shouldn't even be tried with anything if he was just a guard.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

That's like saying low-ranking members of al-Qaeda shouldn't be tried if caught.

I say substance. If he had been caught 10 years ago, he would've been tried the same way. Old age is no excuse to give someone a pass.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »

That's like saying low-ranking members of al-Qaeda shouldn't be tried if caught.

POWs shouldn't be "tried" for anything. Just held until the end of hostilities.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:03 PM »

(Crouches from PC backlash for saying this and yes if I were to run for a lot of local offices near me, I realize as a Democrat I need Jewish votes, BUT....)

SHOW.  The man's well in his 80s and near dead.  It's not like he was a mastermind or high ranking Nazi official.  He was merely a guard following orders in a time of war.  We should not be bothering with this guy.  Let him die in peace. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »

(Crouches from PC backlash for saying this and yes if I were to run for a lot of local offices near me, I realize as a Democrat I need Jewish votes, BUT....)

SHOW.  The man's well in his 80s and near dead.  It's not like he was a mastermind or high ranking Nazi official.  He was merely a guard following orders in a time of war.  We should not be bothering with this guy.  Let him die in peace. 

the human instinct for vengeance knows few bounds.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »

There may be good reason to send him to prison, but the trial is all about Show. Since WW2, Germany has a complex in which they always need to show how "changed" they are from those days.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:51 PM »

There may be good reason to send him to prison, but the trial is all about Show. Since WW2, Germany has a complex in which they always need to show how "changed" they are from those days.

Yes, but if he was just a guard why charge him with 29,000 counts? Christ, I hate defending a f'king Nazi but if he was just a soldier, let him be. Should we go around charging all former enemy soldiers of allied nations?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »

A lot of Eastern European and some other peoples collaborated with Hitler to merely survive or help themselves out- Slovakia, Hungary, Finland, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Bosnia along with aid from some Irish, Spanish, Lithuanian and Ukrainian people.  Sweden also traded a lot of iron ore to the Reich.  IIRC, Demjanjuk was taken as a child laborer initially then moved up to guard.  I'm thinking Mr. Demajanjuk's service was merely for protection.  Going after people this late in the game is just senseless.  I'm far from a Holocaust denier, but it's nearly as bad as me asking the British goverment or blacks asking Southern landowners for reparations.  Nuremberg's out of the way and the worst of the criminals got what they deserved.  It's over! 
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 04:39:49 AM »

More proof of your ethical and ideological bankruptcy. What, pray tell, is the material, concrete differences between a captured Nazi and a captured terrorist that justifies material, concrete differences in their treatment?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:06 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2009, 08:47:46 AM by StatesRights »

More proof of your ethical and ideological bankruptcy. What, pray tell, is the material, concrete differences between a captured Nazi and a captured terrorist that justifies material, concrete differences in their treatment?

Did I say I support trials for either? POWs should be held in prisons until the end of hostilities, obviously. Since we are no longer at war with Germany their is absolutely no reason to hold this guy in jail for anything, unless of course you can prove he murdered innocent civilians.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 12:16:09 PM »

Yes, but if he was just a guard why charge him with 29,000 counts? Christ, I hate defending a f'king Nazi but if he was just a soldier, let him be. Should we go around charging all former enemy soldiers of allied nations?

That is why I agree that he deserves to go to prison, but cannot deny that the trial and everything about it (including the number of counts) is a show.

There is the issue of ex post facto and the idea that it was different times, but at the same time we can't simply accept that you did horrible things and can get off scott free because you're old and will die soon anyway.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »

That is why I agree that he deserves to go to prison, but cannot deny that the trial and everything about it (including the number of counts) is a show.

There is the issue of ex post facto and the idea that it was different times, but at the same time we can't simply accept that you did horrible things and can get off scott free because you're old and will die soon anyway.

Do we really need to "set an example" in this case though?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

Is just being a soldier enough though? I know here on the forum we don't have enough information on what he did but from what I understand he is being charged with 29k counts of accessory to murder. If he was just a guard his involvement wasn't deep enough to have him charged with anything.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »

Do we really need to "set an example" in this case though?

I don't believe we should "set an example" in this case. He should go to jail, but probably not for 29K counts of murder, nor with major fanfare. Just for those murders he is directly involved in, based, of course, on evidence that he directly killed someone.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies