CIT stock Halted today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  CIT stock Halted today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CIT stock Halted today  (Read 1415 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »

hopefully, Obama will understand the need to save CIT from its liquidity crisis and quickly make this a non-issue
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: (cnnfn.com) "Troubled lender CIT says it has been told that it won't get additional government help, says it is 'evaluating alternatives.'"

WOW!  this is not a systemic risk, but it is a risk to recovery.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:14 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2009, 08:46:11 PM by Beet »

Good lord you are a joke. CIT hasn't been making significant enough loans since last year, to sustain its business model. The bankruptcy rumors sparked the liquidity run, not the other way around.

The government's decision to finally let one fail (albeit a small one) is right to me. It's a sign of confidence that they think this will not destroy everything. Of course, they're also not as well connected as some of the others, but that's a different story...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »

Liquidity issues?  Well, to an extent.  But CITI is basically insolvent through my reading.

You see, CIT was a real classic garbage lender with a whole lot of crap on its books and very little good.  Throwing any more money this one's way ($2.5 billion in TARP, I believe) is just throwing it down the drain (seriously) and I don't see how it staves off bankruptcy long-term.

Its liquidity issues are not necessary recent.  Honestly, look at the sheet last quarter, I'm surprised they survived this long.

It shouldn't be that big of a thing, though it might shake the market a little, especially from the last three days of option expiration induced silliness.  CIT is not that big of a lender, all told.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »

I'm ok with letting CIT fail, I just hope something is in place to fill the void, CIT was somewhere in the neighborhood of being the 5th largest lender to small and medium size companies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies