2010 house predictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:51:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  2010 house predictions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How many seats will the GOP have?
<170

171-180

181-217

218-230

>231

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: 2010 house predictions  (Read 28456 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »

I think that these town halls are serving as a warning to many house democrats - especially the blue dogs.  If they vote for a public option/universal healthcare/single-payer government run deal, there is going to be a gigantic reckoning that will cost democrats the house and add 6 senate seats for the republicans.  However, if the healthcare bill passes without the public option and many of the more problematic aspects in the house bill - several of them are going to be saved. 

Why would people vote against the Blue Dogs for voting for a bill with a provision (the public option) that enjoys widespread public support? "You passed something I like, I'm going to vote against you!" That's now how the world works.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »

I expect to gain about 50 or 60 seats, so that would put us right around 230 seats.

I'm in awe.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:35 AM »

I think that these town halls are serving as a warning to many house democrats - especially the blue dogs.  If they vote for a public option/universal healthcare/single-payer government run deal, there is going to be a gigantic reckoning that will cost democrats the house and add 6 senate seats for the republicans.  However, if the healthcare bill passes without the public option and many of the more problematic aspects in the house bill - several of them are going to be saved. 

Realistically, and republicans have to be honest about this...there are going to be some seats and areas that are going to be voting democrat for awhile.  Some of these seats are not republican territory any longer - likewise, democrats will wake up one day to find several seats they thought to be safe (and when i make this argument, i refer to people waving the PVI percentages around) in republican hands for a very long time.

Though, as a personal note - two of three AZ dem house seats could get knocked off next round (Gabi "Nancy's Little Helper" Giffords and Harry Mitchell) and if they win, will probably not last beyond 2012.  Kirkpatrick will be the most difficult of the three to get rid of I think.

Giffords is not going to be knocked off.  She doesnt have a credible opponent and Republicans are not even targeting her. 
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

Why would people vote against the Blue Dogs for voting for a bill with a provision (the public option) that enjoys widespread public support? "You passed something I like, I'm going to vote against you!" That's now how the world works.

Yes, the public option, the public option enjoys widespread public support if you live in England and Canada - a majority (58%) of our own voters do not support it here.  And yes, if this gets passed it will cost the dems the house.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »

Er... pretty much every poll has shown majority (sometimes super-majority) support for a public option. Stop watching Fox, kid.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »

Yes, the public option, the public option enjoys widespread public support if you live in England and Canada - a majority (58%) of our own voters do not support it here.  And yes, if this gets passed it will cost the dems the house.

The Dems are not going to lose the House in 2010 or likely 2012 either. Our first chance comes really in 2014 and it relies on us nominating people who can win in reality, not win in your little pipe dream fanasty.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »

The Dems are not going to lose the House in 2010 or likely 2012 either. Our first chance comes really in 2014 and it relies on us nominating people who can win in reality, not win in your little pipe dream fanasty.
Why do you say it will take till 2014 and that it is a little pipe dream fantasy?  Look I'll agree that it will be likely really tough to win back the house, but my point is that this healthcare plan is so bad that its going to send alot of dems packing - you can see it on the ground, and now Obama wants to follow the healthcare stuff up with amnesty?  It's not a winning combo and could sour a lot of people.  A lot of the reasons why republicans lost congress had to do with the support of amnesty and the medicare provision Bush tried to pass.  I'm typically a devil's advocate too like you seem to be, but the tea leaves are looking good.

And to the individual who wrote that I'm watching too much Fox - Rasmussen shows 57% against (some 70% against single payer I think), Gallup shows 53% against, and I think Pew does too.  I do watch Fox, but I also watch CNN as well, and keep up on nearly everything in the political spectrum. Any way you try the spin this, the ground stuff going on and the polls do not bear your argument out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »

I was making the point that the public option, the thing that supposedly is widely hated by Americans is unpopular. It's not. At all. The Democratic health care bill (which doesn't even exist) is somewhat unpopular at the moment, but that's because 1) It doesn't exist, so it can't really be defined positively and 2) A lot of Republican scaremongering has been going on and the Democrats have only begun to refute it.

Also, if you think that "amnesty" (again, please use big people words instead of Fox/Limbaugh buzz words) is going to lose Democrats votes, obviously you weren't paying attention in 2006 or 2008. Immigration reform will help Democrats: Republicans have never won elections running on the issue, as it does not carry the same sort of weight as abortion or gay marriage or something AND the debate will give the Republicans another chance to alienate Hispanics.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

I was making the point that the public option, the thing that supposedly is widely hated by Americans is unpopular. It's not. At all. The Democratic health care bill (which doesn't even exist) is somewhat unpopular at the moment, but that's because 1) It doesn't exist, so it can't really be defined positively and 2) A lot of Republican scaremongering has been going on and the Democrats have only begun to refute it.

Also, if you think that "amnesty" (again, please use big people words instead of Fox/Limbaugh buzz words) is going to lose Democrats votes, obviously you weren't paying attention in 2006 or 2008. Immigration reform will help Democrats: Republicans have never won elections running on the issue, as it does not carry the same sort of weight as abortion or gay marriage or something AND the debate will give the Republicans another chance to alienate Hispanics.
Where is the proof that the public option is so popular with the people?  I see old ladies and old men reading the massive bill when their representative has not and shouting them down.  I see polls saying its not popular.  As for the actual bill it's: H.R.3200, one thousand and one hundred pages long and you can read it on OpenCongress.  There is no scaremongering that exists, and what does exist consists of Pelosi confusing LaRouche supporters dressed as Nazis with conservatives - the bill is bad.  Page 59 gives the government direct access to individual bank accounts.  That's only one example of the invasions of privacy held within.  No it has not passed yet, there is no bill "in effect", but there is a bill. 

Ok, big people words: Illegal aliens that have traversed the line separating the boundaries between the Mexican territory and the United States territory will receive full lenience (might have spelled that last word wrong) in accordance with the laws outlawing undocumented border crossing.  - Amnesty is easier to say.  If amnesty was such a proven vote winner, then why did John McCain do so terrible amongst latinos?  Additionally, support for amnesty causes the base to drift away from individuals in the republican party and the party needs the base.  I don't think a republican should ever run on the issue.  There's more important fish to fry than worrying about who's scurrying over the border at a given moment.
biggzcorey
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:45 AM »

I think the GOP will pick up 10-15 seats, mostly from seats like MD-01 and ID-01.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »

I think the GOP will pick up 10-15 seats, mostly from seats like MD-01 and ID-01.

I'm thinking seats like those, but the Dems still have some opportunities like PA-6, NJ-7, and the slam dunk LA-2.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 04:01:10 PM »

I'm thinking seats like those, but the Dems still have some opportunities like PA-6, NJ-7, and the slam dunk LA-2.

Yeah, but there are mosre Districts like MD-01 than there are PA-06 or LA-02.  We really have to worry about seats like AL-02, ID-01, AL-05, etc.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »

I don't care about those Alabama districts. The 'Democrats' who win there are Republicans, most of the time. Fools like Bobby Bright.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »

I don't care about those Alabama districts. The 'Democrats' who win there are Republicans, most of the time. Fools like Bobby Bright.

I agree.  There are a lot of 'Democrats' that really don't make a difference.  I rather have a chance to get some better ones in places like PA-6, NJ-7, DE-AL, or IL-10 which are more likely to elect Dems I like.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 11:40:44 PM »

Bright's voting record hasn't been all that bad, actually.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 11:52:45 PM »

He has basically been another Gene Taylor.  Considering the district he is from, he needs to be. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »

Find me one major piece of Democratic legislation that he has supported.
biggzcorey
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »

Some of these democrats are socially moderates, but support dems on most issues (Mike Michaud,Patrick Murphy,Jason Altmire,Mike Arcuri,John Salazar,Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin)). Some are southern democrats who represent conservative districts (Gene Taylor, Dan Boren, Jim Marshall, Charlie Melancon) and some have been elected in 08' and 06' in conservative and GOP leaning districts and have to go to the right on some issues to keep their jobs (Bobby Bright, Brad Ellsworth, Kathy Dahlkemper, Heath Schuler, Gabrielle Giffords, Chris Carney, Frank Kravitol, Walt Minnick). This is why many moderate dems shifted on the climate bill. In the house you only need a majority to pass legislation, so Pelosi was able to let 44 democrats vote with the GOP on this bill and still get it to pass with a majority, and these 44 congressman don't have to worry about explaining their vote to their angry conservative constituents.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »

Pelosi was able to let 44 democrats vote with the GOP on this bill and still get it to pass with a majority, and these 44 congressman don't have to worry about explaining their vote to their angry conservative constituents.

Exactly.  If we don't need their votes, why should we make them take the risk?  If we need their votes, we'll have them; there's no point in antagonizing their constituents unnecessarily, especially if they're only in their first or second terms.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »

McCain Democratic Districts
1)AL-2(Bright-D)- Vulnerable
2)AL-5(Griffith-D)- Vulnerable
3)AZ-1(Kirkpatrick-D)- Safe
4)AZ-5(Mitchell-D)- Safe
5)AZ-8(Giffords-D)- Safe
6)AR-1(Berry-D)- Safe
7)AR-2(Snyder-D)-Safe
8)AR-4(Ross-D)-Safe
9)CO-3(Salazar-D)- Safe
10)CO-4(Markey-D)- Favored
11)FL-2(Boyd-D)- Safe
12)FL-24(Kosmas-D)- Favored
13)GA-8(Marshall-D)- Safe
14)ID-1(Minnick-D)- Vulnerable
15)IN-8(Ellsworth-D)- Safe
16)IN-9(Hill-D)- Safe
17)KY-6(Chandler-D)- Safe
18)LA-3(Melancon-D)- Vulnerable- open seat
19)MD-1(Kravotil-D)- Vulnerable-
20)MN-7(Peterson-D)- Safe
21)MS-1(Childers-D)- Vulnerable
22)MS-4(Taylor-D)- Safe
23)MO-4(Skelton-D)- Safe
24)NM-2(Teague-D)- Vulnerable- Top Tier Challenger.
25)NY-13(McMahon-D)- Safe
26)NY-29(Massa-D)- Vulnerable
27)NC-7(McIntyre-D)- Safe
28)NC-11(Schuler-D)- Safe
29)ND-AL(Pomeroy-D)- Safe
30)OH-6(Wilson-D)- Safe
31)OH-16(Boccieri-D)-Safe
32)OH-18(Space-D)- Safe
33)OK-2(Boren-D)- Safe
34)PA-3(Dahlkemper-D)- Safe
35)PA-4(Altmire-D)- Safe
36)PA-10(Carney-D)- Safe
37)PA-12(Murtha-D)- Safe
38)PA-17(Holden-D)- Safe
39)SC-5(Spratt-D)- Safe
40)SD-AL(Herseth-Sandlin-D)- Safe
41)TN-4(Davis-D)- Favored
42)TN-6(Gordon-D)- Safe
43)TN-8(Tanner-D)- Safe
44)TX-17(Edwards-D)- Favored
45)UT-2(Matheson-D)- Safe
46)VA-5(Periello-D)- Vulnerable
47)VA-9(Boucher-D)- Safe
48)WV-1(Mollahan-D)- Safe
49)WV-3(Rahall-D)- Safe

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »

I expect to gain about 50 or 60 seats, so that would put us right around 230 seats.

Remember how much crap I took for  this all last year?  Now Nate Silver says we're even money to take the House.

It looks like a very good year for the GOP.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »

I think the GOP will do good, but most are overestimating. THe GOP will not acutally take back the house in 2010. They might come close, but we will still have Speaker Pelosi.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 01:09:25 AM »

He has basically been another Gene Taylor.  Considering the district he is from, he needs to be. 

For what it's worth, there are more than a few people here in MS-4 who think Taylor isn't exactly a slam dunk this year. I do know for a fact that the Republican party is putting more effort than normal into that race.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »

My current prediction has them taking back the house by a couple of seats, but we'll have to see how things shake up over the summer.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »

LOL, reading through this thread is comical. Some gems:

If Obama's approval rating is 45 percent the GOP would pickup 15-20 seats. If it is 50 percent they gain about 10 seats.

For the GOP to take back the House, Obama would have to be at 35 percent or below; it's hard to find 40 seats that are even realistically winnable, much less going out and actually winning them.

I'm in awe.

Giffords is not going to be knocked off.  She doesnt have a credible opponent and Republicans are not even targeting her. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies