something to keep in mind...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:59:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  something to keep in mind...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: something to keep in mind...  (Read 3554 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2004, 11:53:11 PM »

everytime someone pulls out a poll showing kerry beating bush by 3 points, just think of the december polls that had dean leading by double digits in new hampshire.

another thought to ponder for the edwards enthusiasts--if edwards is so much 'stronger' than kerry, how come kerry cleaned his clock (many times) ?
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:57:41 PM »

I don't think Kerry is all that stronger than Edwards, but the Iowa bounce pretty much carried Kerry to the nomination. When Edwards got it down to 1 on 1, he was already to far behind.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 11:59:10 PM »

i think kerry is  hell of a lot better than most of the dems are giving him credit for.

bush has a tough race on his hands.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 12:00:39 AM »

That's an independent thought.  Rare on this forum.  Good for you.

And I agree, by the way.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 12:02:09 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2004, 12:05:12 AM by emergingDmajority1 »

if Kerry picks Bayh or Edwards, they Bush has a tough fight on his hands. It's still early.

the Dems need a VP on the ticket that allows us to get excited about the future as well.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 12:07:52 AM »

i doubt bayh would be picked (even though hed be a strong choice).  bayh is just too conservative for most dems to accept.  bayh also voted for the bush tax cuts, which kerry is strongly opposed to.

edwards...i just dont get what is so great about him.  he can talk well, that's about it.

bill richardson is actually a smart man with tons of experience, and he could help in the southwest and among hispanics.

heck, id take mark warner over edwards.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 12:13:24 AM »

Kerry is for keeping middle class tax cuts.

Bayh is a conservative Dem, and to that I say......so what? He'd be a great pick. Kerry will start to move to the center a little, so it would help to pick a vp already in the center.

Richardson keeps saying no, and I'm starting to believe him.

btw, ever see old pictures of Bayh's wife Susan. Man was she smokin'!!!

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 12:22:48 AM »

Edwards was a smooth talker.  Edwards was the Breck girl.  Edwards talked incessantly about two Americas and redistribution of wealth.  That plays well among those for whom economic security takes precedence over liberty.  Somebody has a tag line that says something like "Why do republicans want to take the system that defeated communism and replace it with the system that spawned communism."  Very clever.  

Bayh's wife??  Why do we have to play wifeball so much?  That's a little too fishbowl I think.  Time to rethink this type of morbid curiosity.  

Kerry is the hot ticket, no doubt.  "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?"   He had that crisp white Navy uniform, a respected officer and a gentleman.  And a war protester to boot.  Can't go wrong.  Or is it more like being a "liberal republican" in the sense that nobody likes you.  "A uniter, not a divider" or just a weirdo?  Hard to tell yet.  In any case, don't think Rove & Company will underestimate him.  I think money trumps pretty much everything else.  That's the American way.  And as long as the nasty Dems play dirty politics, they won't get any of mine.
MarkDel

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 02:23:49 AM »

The Breck Girl...LOL

I love it!!!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 05:01:56 AM »

Evan Bayh is not very conservative, even for a Democrat.  His ACU rating is only 22 - compare that to 46 for Breaux, 51 for Ben Nelson, and 65 for Zell Miller.  

Besides, Bayh couldn't even carry Indiana for the likes of Kerry.  
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 08:14:54 AM »

I have made a new resolution" do not comment on behalf of Opebo's idiacy.

Bayh is the strongest selection for VP, but a case can be made for Richardson and Edwards.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 11:26:48 AM »

If we're discussing Edwards v Kerry, it was all about momnetum and the fact that Edwards had to compete with Clark. Also, only Democrats get to vote in primaries,  remember?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 12:02:08 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2004, 12:41:01 PM by ilikeverin »

If we're discussing Edwards v Kerry, it was all about momnetum and the fact that Edwards had to compete with Clark. Also, only Democrats get to vote in primaries,  remember?
In some states, Independents and Republicans can vote/caucus.  For instance, my mom's an independent and she caucused yesterday Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 12:35:56 PM »

Bayh is the strongest selection for VP, but a case can be made for Richardson and Edwards.

You're saying it is 'idiacy' to question Bayh's supposed conservatism?  The man has ratings out there that show he is not at all conservative, even for a Democrat.   And I think many here would agree with me that Indiana is likely to go Republican even with Bayh on the ticket.
NHPolitico

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 02:09:27 PM »

everytime someone pulls out a poll showing kerry beating bush by 3 points, just think of the december polls that had dean leading by double digits in new hampshire.

another thought to ponder for the edwards enthusiasts--if edwards is so much 'stronger' than kerry, how come kerry cleaned his clock (many times) ?

Because the establishment viewed Kerry as acceptable and wanted to end this process quickly and didn't support Edwards, because Edwards didn't have a mansion to mortgage, etc.?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 03:18:34 PM »

In some states, Independents and Republicans can vote/caucus.  For instance, my mom's an independent and she caucused yesterday Smiley

Yeah, I know, I wasn't thinking straight...the point still remains though, that the primary electorate is much more Democratic than the national vote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 03:21:04 PM »

You're saying it is 'idiacy' to question Bayh's supposed conservatism?  The man has ratings out there that show he is not at all conservative, even for a Democrat.   And I think many here would agree with me that Indiana is likely to go Republican even with Bayh on the ticket.

Indiana could become a battleground state with Bayh on the ticket. McGovern came within 8% of Nixon in South Dakota, for example, which says a lot of home state potential. I think Bayh would make Indiana only lean Rep, but I agree it would probably go with Bush in the end.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies