Belfast Catholics riot over Protestant parade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:52:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Belfast Catholics riot over Protestant parade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Belfast Catholics riot over Protestant parade  (Read 7076 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »

Basically saying that what Oliver Cromwell did 400 years justifies nothing today or puts the state of Ireland in some special status.

Roll Eyes Please cite where republicans have attempted to justify their actions with reference to Oliver Cromwell.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95603.msg1987150#msg1987150

On the Loyalists disarming: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jlvx2TkwGUJWtgJ7iFSCZVAEMsqQ
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 09:56:59 AM »

Was this a parade done just to piss people off?

Yes...
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »

Basically saying that what Oliver Cromwell did 400 years justifies nothing today or puts the state of Ireland in some special status.

Roll Eyes Please cite where republicans have attempted to justify their actions with reference to Oliver Cromwell.

Roll Eyes

Dear Lord, one republican you know using Cromwell to justify their actions doesn't mean that they all do, for the love of God.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »

LOL
Flyers may be many things, but he is hardly representative of Irish Republicanism.
With due respect to him, and as I'm sure he'd admit himself, his knowledge of Ireland is limited.

Obviously I'm aware of the decommissioning. Nonetheless your claims that "Protestants" have ceased involvent in violent acts and your attempts to paint all wrongdoing as Catholic initiated is, quite obviously, nonsense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »

Roll Eyes

Dear Lord, one republican you know using Cromwell to justify their actions doesn't mean that they all do, for the love of God.

Yes but the statement about Cromwell was made directly in reference to him. Cromwell is 100% irrelevant today.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »

Would a Neo-Nazi parade in a predominantly Jewish area also be defended by the posters above, I wonder?
Of course!  Why wouldn't we?  Me thinks you don't fully grasp what Freedom of Speech (and Assembly) mean.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

Whole academic careers could be made out of just rebutting the whole clusters of stupid in this thread.

Really, this has be one of the dumbest, least informed thread in the history of the internet. Only Jas and Patrick (and Ernest and Lewis) knows what he is talking about really.

Seriously, I would need a couple of hours to scythe through this rubbish. Where is Al when you need him?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 03:43:52 PM »

Btw BRTD, you are aware what the Orange Order's views on "social issues" are, right?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »

Roll Eyes

Yes but the statement about Cromwell was made directly in reference to him. Cromwell is 100% irrelevant today.

Do you agree with the fact he basically enslaved 5000 Irish Catholic teenagers and sent them to Barbados to die in the sugar cane fields?  We you also aware that during the Potato "Famine" that food was taken onto ships and dumped off the coast plus the fact that some landlords were cheering when people were dying?  There's a lot standard history textbooks don't teach you.  It's one thing to criticize the Catholic Church on certain policies (on many I agree with you).  It's another to support even bigger assholes to do it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 06:35:36 PM »

Btw BRTD, you are aware what the Orange Order's views on "social issues" are, right?

Yes (though I don't know why "social issues" is in quotes.) I'm not sure what that has to do with any of my points though, or if I've ever implied I actually like the Orange Order.

Roll Eyes

Do you agree with the fact he basically enslaved 5000 Irish Catholic teenagers and sent them to Barbados to die in the sugar cane fields?  We you also aware that during the Potato "Famine" that food was taken onto ships and dumped off the coast plus the fact that some landlords were cheering when people were dying?  There's a lot standard history textbooks don't teach you.  It's one thing to criticize the Catholic Church on certain policies (on many I agree with you).  It's another to support even bigger assholes to do it.

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Note my last sentence in reply. Cromwell is a completely moot issue today. Do I hold a grudge against Russia and Poland for things done against Sweden in the early 18th century? (Post-Cromwell.) Do Norwegian Americans hold a grudge against Denmark for the period when Denmark dominated Norway? (Also post-Cromwell for much of its existence.) I've yet to meet any. Cromwell has nothing to do whatsoever to do with eh current situation of Northern Ireland. Absolutely nothing.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2009, 12:15:16 AM »

In one breath you stated: These aren't to piss people off, it's to celebrate their victory at the Battle of Boyone [sic] which is the reason they aren't under the Pope's authority today.

In the next you claim:
Cromwell has nothing to do whatsoever to do with eh current situation of Northern Ireland. Absolutely nothing.

You blatantly pick and choose the relevance of history to the current situation.  Past events and history are relevant for providing the framework of the community and its current problems. Dwelling too much on that history is counter productive and does little to work toward a peaceful FUTURE.  Killing in the name of King Billy and Wolfetone did nothing but harm toward curing the crushing poverty on the Falls and Shankill roads.  This is why holding sectarian marches through nationalist neighborhoods in counter-productive.  It only serves to pick at the scabs of a slowly healing community.  You need not forget the past glories or injustices but you must be capable of moving beyond it.   The vast majority of the people and leaders of Northern Ireland recognize this and I'm sure they don't need amateur interlopers to fight it out for them.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »

To be honest, it would be bigger news if the Orange Parade didn't provoke a riot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »

Hospital again
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2009, 06:59:37 AM »

You don't think Northern Ireland is Irish land, I take it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies