Strawman Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:31:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Strawman Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Strawman Thread  (Read 20335 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »

Clearly drugs had no part in the crime and cause no harm to anybody at all anywhere.

Of course I think there are grey areas. You of all people should realise that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »

I'm just pointing out your implication that other people think that drugs "cause no harm to anybody at all anywhere." Nobody thinks that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »

IDF Border Gaurd shoots Palestinian child w/toy FOR NO REASON
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »

Is it a strawman if no one on this site is making a claim, even if people on other sites are making that claim?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

I love that neologism. In my opinion it deserves an award, but I don't know of what class. Probably between deluge and comedy (because it seems coming from a joke thread).
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2012, 02:37:22 AM »

Is it a strawman if no one on this site is making a claim, even if people on other sites are making that claim?

Yes. Example:

Talking about gun control is unseemly because it means we are politicizing a tragedy. But this kind of crap from the right wingers is fine and dandy.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/12/14/huckabee_blames_shooting_on_removing_god_from_schools.html

Mike Huckabee told Fox News that today's deadly massacre in an elementary school in Connecticut was due to the lack of religion in public schools.

Said Huckabee: "We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we've systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we've made it a palce where we don't want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability?"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »

It's always funny to see presumed left-wingers suddenly argue that people working in degrading jobs where they get exploited is a great thing. I guess that mostly just applies as long as the people doing the work are coloured women rather than white middle-class males.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »

Oldiefreak's signature.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2013, 03:46:05 PM by shua »

The whole thing comes out of a misguided rationalization for their having no abortion exceptions for rape. It is obviously a very unpopular position to say the government should force rape victims to have the babies of their rapists, so they justify by saying 'but rape babies dont really happen so dont worry about it'

I don't think these people actually understand truly how awful saying this stuff is. Their position is popular, at least, in the ultraconservative circles these anti-science nimrods run in. They see the media blowups over rape and write it off as liberal media nonsense.

"Of course we're anti-rape! Of course. It's just gotta be a legit rape, where a girl was forced in an alley at knife point and she almost died and the dude doing it was ugly or poor or black or unpopular."

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Who were the 6 Democrats who voted it down?

I assume this is the vote (it's 184-233): http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll074.xml

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democrats need to kick them off the ballot for 2014 and run real Democrats.

SERIOUSLY. The minimum wage is a Democratic litmus test, or at least should be considered one. If you're a Democrat and you vote against raising it, you should just switch parties right now. You aren't a Democrat if you're against raising the minimum wage, period.

So there is no level that a true Democrat would consider too high for the minimum wage? Anyone would would vote against a $1000/hr minimum wage is just a DINO?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »

That one is more of a slippery slope than a straw man, Scott.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »

That one is more of a slippery slope than a straw man, Scott.

In isolation, yes, but that's because nobody bothered to rebut my point. Presumably they would be opposed to a $1,000/hr minimum wage since that would leave those making less without a job rather than with a higher salary, in which case, why wouldn't the same reasoning apply to any artificial price floor on labor?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »

I'm probably one of them...

So, Jbrase, what's your opinion of antiracist whites, feminist men, and anti-homophobic heterosexuals?
You don't need to make life harder for all whites to reduce racism, for men to achieve gender equality, for straights for gays to achieve equality. You certainly don't need to kill anyone connected with them, which is what extreme leftists and unionists (ie Trots) seem to want.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »

The funniest thing about this lady is that I thought kids were supposed to be property of the collective?

How dare you suggest that individual parents have the authority to decide when their childs life beings. Children's lives begin when we all, as a group, say they do. How naive of her.

It should obviously be up to the community to vote, because we need a more collective notion of children if we want to raise them properly because the MSNBC ad said so.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »

Support in the sense that I don't really care what people do to their animals. We never had ours declawed, but then again we usually found our cats outside from a massive, decades-old feral cat community.

So you're happy if a person rapes their dog? I mean after all it is their animal...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »

But I thought only guns could kill people! We need to ban knives now. These stupid, ignorant Ameritards can't be trusted with them either. And we need metal detectors in every room of every building! And background checks before you can cut your stake! By the way, you only need a small needle to cut your stake. No more of these kitchen knifes!
Damn this forum's spell check. Steak=stake? That is the real controversy about my post!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2014, 04:13:46 PM »

Damn this forum's spell check. Steak=stake? That is the real controversy about my post!

Yes, I do believe it takes a bit more than a needle to cut a stake, though I'm no expert.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:23 AM »

Because posting on the internet is in any way similar to drunk driving  Roll Eyes

This thread is rather pointless, since Dave's the only person who can take King off mod review.  Even Nym can't do that.  Doesn't matter if the points are taken away or not now.  Once you cross 50 points you go on mod review, even if you subsequently drop below 50, with some of the points being rescinded.

So you're pinning your hopes on Dave actually reading this thread, and acting on it before the five days are up anyway.

Ummmm…….good luck with that.

So we can blame Ernest and Inks?

King was already on mod review by the time I assigned points.  However, I wouldn't blame Inks.  I'd blame either King or the culture of enablers that think drunken foolishness is cute and harmless.  In 2012, there were 10,322 people in the United States who could testify that drunken foolishness is deadly serious.  Or rather the coroners who signed their death certificates could testify to that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2019, 03:34:23 PM »

Here at Atlas, we equate every Evangelical Christian in America with Roy Moore (assuming he's guilty of the allegations) but insist that every Muslim, here and abroad, not be painted with broad brushes.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »

Lean R, and closer to Likely then tossup.
SUBURBS ARE TRENDING D
RURALS ARE TRENDING R
MCDOWELL COUNTY WILL NOT VOTE FOR BERNIE SANDERS IN 2020
JOHNSON COUNTY WILL NOT VOTE FOR TRUMP IN 2020
What part of this do you not understand?

Politician probably thinks Elliott County, KY is more likely to flip blue than Tarrant lol
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2019, 07:24:33 AM »

ahhh, Xahar, our most accepted bigot.  I bet our current bigots really miss him.  Where is he now, raising money for Hamas?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:47 PM »

ahhh, Xahar, our most accepted bigot.  I bet our current bigots really miss him.  Where is he now, raising money for Hamas?

WTF?

It's been a while, but what did he ever post warranty that kind of comparison? Huh
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2019, 12:02:05 AM »

the one I remember best was his assertion than any Jew that was murdered beyond the Green Line had it coming.  Did he just mean settlers?  Nope.  Only adults at least?  Nope.  Any Jew.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2019, 01:26:30 AM »

the one I remember best was his assertion than any Jew that was murdered beyond the Green Line had it coming.  Did he just mean settlers?  Nope.  Only adults at least?  Nope.  Any Jew.

Wow. Didn't see that one. Pretty disgusting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies