Do you believe in Aliens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:44:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe in Aliens?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Do you believe in Aliens?  (Read 1729 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »

Do I believe in the prospect of other complex and intelligent beings in the Universe?  Absolutely.  I think the Drake Equation was a little optimistic, but now that we know radio waves actually dissipate completely by 1 light year out, the fact that we haven't picked up signals from another planet is no indicator that there might not be another civilization close to us (it also means SETI is a total waste of time, but....)

Now, do I believe there are flying saucers coming to Earth to abduct people and harass our planet's rednecks and cattle?  No.  i don't want to call people liars, but... come on.  Then again, I am sure many of them are convinced this is happening to them, in which case they need help.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:26:40 AM »

My view mirrors Supersoulty's.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 04:27:08 AM »

Yup, drive past the border patrol station that rounds them up and sends them back.

Oh, you mean Extraterrestrial Aliens?

Well, have yet to see one, but, could be...

If so, we definitely need the "Men in Black."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »

Statistically, it's a strong possibility. Are we ever gonna meet them? Well, that's far less likely.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 06:10:31 AM »

Does life exist on other planets? Yes. Will we ever contact them, or they us? No. The lightspeed barrier's a bitch.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »

Most likely, given the sheer number of stars & planets in the universe.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »

Yes, intelligent lfe does exist elsewhere in the universe.  No, we are not being visited by them.  I do not believe it would be possible under any technology to travel the distance that would be required.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 12:58:08 PM »

Do I believe in the prospect of other complex and intelligent beings in the Universe?  Absolutely.  I think the Drake Equation was a little optimistic, but now that we know radio waves actually dissipate completely by 1 light year out, the fact that we haven't picked up signals from another planet is no indicator that there might not be another civilization close to us (it also means SETI is a total waste of time, but....)

Now, do I believe there are flying saucers coming to Earth to abduct people and harass our planet's rednecks and cattle?  No.  i don't want to call people liars, but... come on.  Then again, I am sure many of them are convinced this is happening to them, in which case they need help.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »

Yup.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »

I just think its wrong that aliens come here to Earth just to harass paranoid people.  I mean, don't they have enough problems without being stolen away in the night to be probed?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »

No, but that's not based on anything substantive.  Just my gut.  If they show up tomorrow, I'll be happy to host a cookout.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2009, 04:59:57 PM by Old Europe »

The most realistic real-world scenarios for alien "encounters" (in that order):

1) Somehat plausible: Discovery of microscopic or otherwise primitive (some sort of plant?) life-form on Mars. Alternatively, the discovery of non-intelligent life under Europa's surface.

2) Longshot: Receiving a radio transmission from another solar system.

3) Don't hold your breath: A relativistic or generation ship arrives in our solar system.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »

I believe there is intelligent life (aka., beyond bacteria) beyond our solar system, and that it may well be possible that they could contact us at any time.  

However, I am skeptical of claims by the paranoid that they were whisked up by alien beings to be probed.  Reports of those having seen what they believed to be alien spacecraft are probably secret military aircraft being tested by our government (like the Stealth B-2 Spirit bomber before it was unveiled to the general public in the late 1980s).
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »

No, but that's not based on anything substantive.  Just my gut.  If they show up tomorrow, I'll be happy to host a cookout.

Are you sure about that?

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »

Our definition of "life" seems to me to be rather terracentric, so no.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

Two things I just randomly felt like adding:

1) Notice how the crazy of alien sightings has gone down vastly, since 9/11.  As I have often stated, I think the high level of paranoia in the 1990's was based entirely off the fact that most people didn't have real problems to worry about, so they invented some.

2) I think that a highly technologically advanced civilization could discover a way to get around the speed of light barrier, but I am skeptical first about ow many civilizations there are that can achieve that level of advancement (with all methods proposed it is way easier said then done) and what exactly any such civilization would ever want to have to do with us.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »

Given what we now know about physics, we have to get around thinking of the classic Newtonian and Einsteinian models; they are important, and the basis for the macrophysical world.  However, we now know that the Speed of Light is, in fact, not a constant, and that there are no universal constants at all at the quantum level.

This leaves open many possibilities for manipulation of space/time on the macrolevel.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »

Yes, intelligent lfe does exist elsewhere in the universe.  No, we are not being visited by them.  I do not believe it would be possible under any technology to travel the distance that would be required.

I wouldn't be so sure. If human beings are still around in 500,000 years, imagine what we will have done technologically; the last 100 have been pretty damn impressive, so I would trust that given a half-million years (or even a few thousand ... or a few hundred), our race could do some pretty spectacular things, including overcoming the massive distances in space. The Drake Equation may be ambitious, as Supersoulty mentioned, but even a scaled back version hints that someone out there is considerably more advanced than us and has found a way to get here.

We would be pretty foolish to say "it cannot be done" based on the scientific knowledge that we have now, even as great as it may be. Scientists thought the atomic bomb to be an impossiblity before the discovery of the neutron ... there's a lot that we don't know about interspace travel and extraterrestrial possibilities.

I think that a highly technologically advanced civilization could discover a way to get around the speed of light barrier, but I am skeptical first about how many civilizations there are that can achieve that level of advancement (with all methods proposed it is way easier said then done) and what exactly any such civilization would ever want to have to do with us.

Depends on how advanced they might be, I suppose. They could be interested in a variety of things, but we routinely dominate what we deem to be lower life forms; I wouldn't be surprised if an extremely advanced alien civilization saw us as such a low order of life that they could easily justify mistreatment or experiments.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure. If human beings are still around in 500,000 years, imagine what we will have done technologically; the last 100 have been pretty damn impressive, so I would trust that given a half-million years (or even a few thousand ... or a few hundred), our race could do some pretty spectacular things, including overcoming the massive distances in space. The Drake Equation may be ambitious, as Supersoulty mentioned, but even a scaled back version hints that someone out there is considerably more advanced than us and has found a way to get here.

We would be pretty foolish to say "it cannot be done" based on the scientific knowledge that we have now, even as great as it may be. Scientists thought the atomic bomb to be an impossiblity before the discovery of the neutron ... there's a lot that we don't know about interspace travel and extraterrestrial possibilities.

I think that a highly technologically advanced civilization could discover a way to get around the speed of light barrier, but I am skeptical first about how many civilizations there are that can achieve that level of advancement (with all methods proposed it is way easier said then done) and what exactly any such civilization would ever want to have to do with us.

Depends on how advanced they might be, I suppose. They could be interested in a variety of things, but we routinely dominate what we deem to be lower life forms; I wouldn't be surprised if an extremely advanced alien civilization saw us as such a low order of life that they could easily justify mistreatment or experiments.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  Granted, any species would would like encounter would be at least something like ourselves... namely, social beings, psychologically complex, with comparable bodily structure (though with a large margin in both accounts), but they would have followed an evolutionary path that does not mirror ours, and thus we can make few assumptions about exactly what their natural disposition might be.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  Granted, any species would would like encounter would be at least something like ourselves... namely, social beings, psychologically complex, with comparable bodily structure (though with a large margin in both accounts), but they would have followed an evolutionary path that does not mirror ours, and thus we can make few assumptions about exactly what their natural disposition might be.

Oh, I'm not sure ... not the least bit sure. But I would speculate more in favor of extraterrestrials who did find us being interested in us, much as we would be interested in primitive life if we found it on Europa or Mars or elsewhere.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »

I do believe in extraterrestrial sentient life.  It is only a matter of time.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »

It'd be cool if they did exist, but I don't really have a definite opinion one way or the other.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies