Political ideologies vs. music taste: a journey into clashing spectrums
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:43:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Political ideologies vs. music taste: a journey into clashing spectrums
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Political ideologies vs. music taste: a journey into clashing spectrums  (Read 5579 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »

Well, everyone knows a true Christian wouldn't support the slaughter of millions of people, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Obviously, but we all know plenty of "Christians" were still behind Bush's foreign policy. The point is they aren't right wing and I doubt anyone at the show disagreed. There obviously would be some right wingers if there's no correlation with musical taste and politics.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

Well, everyone knows a true Christian wouldn't support the slaughter of millions of people, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Obviously, but we all know plenty of "Christians" were still behind Bush's foreign policy. The point is they aren't right wing and I doubt anyone at the show disagreed. There obviously would be some right wingers if there's no correlation with musical taste and politics.

lol pro-war pro-death penalty Christians

>Jesus says don't kill
>Say they agree
>Unless it's a Muslim or a criminal
>MFW
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »

I'm a center rightist libertarian but I love a fair few leftist rock acts of the 60s and 70s like Pink Floyd , John Lennon, Fleetwood Mac and  The Jam.
Then again I also love Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, the Who and the Kinks so I need not worry
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »

Yes, yes this. A lot of Libertarians kinda claim NOFX to be one of them, when they're really not...I mean, they're like left-libertarians because they hold the anti-government sentiment, but they're probably not fiscal conservatives. Punk is an inherently "f**k authority figures" type of genre, so hating government comes standard.

Not really, there's plenty of apolitical punk bands or neo-Nazi/RAC types. And Johnny Ramone was a typical Republican.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

Are you saying neo-Nazi punks are pro-government?  I'm pretty sure being a neo-Nazi is one of the louder ways one could shout "funk authority!".  Much louder than being a hipster, hippy or regular punk shouts it.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »

Didn't virtually every punk band publicly denounce Nazism and verbally, yet viscerally destroy their fascist fans?
Lasitten
Rookie
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »

As a teenager I started to listen to Rage Against the Machine and some political rap (like Finnish rapper Asa) and started to think and read about politics. Then I joined Left Youth of Finland and I'm still on that road and now a political activist and deep in the party politics. So I would say that music has a lot to do with my political beliefs Cheesy
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

Once I read an article by some conservative pundit claiming to list 'conservative rock'. Amongst the music He cited were U2, Clash and RATM ones. I kept laughing like an idiot for more than a week.

Something for Nothing is my favourite pre-punk non-Beatles song, yet It hurts every of my political beliefs and cultural leanings. BTW, I always thought The Who was leftist or liberal in the American sense. Is Townshend really rightist? His lyrics seemed pretty left-libertarian to me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies