Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 08:44:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Is Fred Phelps a Christian?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Is Fred Phelps a Christian?
Yes   -12 (48%)
No   -13 (52%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is Fred Phelps a Christian?  (Read 2555 times)
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:49 am »
Ignore

At the risk of committing a logical fallacy, I'm voting no.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:46 am »
Ignore

Does he believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died for mankind's sins? Does he believe that only through accepting Christ as one's Lord and Savior can one gain eternal salvation?

If so, then I would argue yes.

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 08:29:33 am »
Ignore

If BRTD is, then Phelps is as well.

JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:36:36 am »
Ignore

Is he a member of the Christian religion?  Sure.  He's a Baptist.

Does he follow the example and teachings of Jesus?  Not even close.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 04:55:38 pm »
Ignore

I guess yes?
Since I'm not a christian, I can say that it doesn't really piss me off that Fred Phelps calls himself one. I can understand why it would piss off christians (or more specifically those who actually follow the biblical reading of "love one another") and folks like Fred Phelps are definitely not doing you guys any favors by calling himself a "baptist". I know lots of christians, a lot of them are nowhere near the level of hate and vileness in Fred Phelps. I've listened to a ton of Phelp's speeches/rants and that of his crazy followers and I have never heard one mention of "love" in any one of those, just flat out hate. And it's more than just gays they hate, it's Jews, it's blacks, it's people who accept the Holocaust happened. Sometimes I wonder if the actual god they worship is not above, but down below. These people are a huge waste of sperm, nothing more, likely even less than that.

I know true christians, true christians condemn outrageous hate as that exhibited by Phelps. Guys like JSojourner, BushOklahoma, and alot of the people I go to college with are more real to Christianity than Fred Phelps and his gang of haters will ever be.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 05:13:45 pm »
Ignore

Of course he is. He's also far more of a Christian than someone like you. You should ask what this says about Christianity, but, of course, you're not going to.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »
Ignore

The first time I heard of Fred Phelps was in the play The Laramie Project.   I thought that he was a fictional character.

After loosely following his career for the past five years I sometimes still wonder if he is.  The man's a living, breathing strawman.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Earth
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:42 pm »
Ignore

Of course he is. You can't disavow him from his faith because you think he sucks.

I think he sucks, too, but that's immaterial.

Wealth comes mostly from two sources in Western countries - either being very good at something people are willing to pay for or by working hard at becoming wealthy...
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10:31 pm »
Ignore

Does he believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God and died for mankind's sins? Does he believe that only through accepting Christ as one's Lord and Savior can one gain eternal salvation?

If so, then I would argue yes.

^^^^

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:32:32 am »
Ignore

By an affilation? Yes, he is

By his behavior he's not very christian Tongue

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:18 am »
Ignore

All I know about this dude is that he swims, smokes pot and dated that dumb chick who hates the gays...

Gustaf
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 04:46:40 am »

No. Not because he is hateful, per se, but rather because he seems to be too greedy for power. I don't think those people who build themselves careers out of instigating people like that really can have a religious faith or believe in a higher being.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:35 pm »
Ignore

In terms of believing in Jesus, yes.  In terms of following Jesus' teachings, no.  Wackos like him are probably more like fundamentalist Jews - they pay nearly no attention to Jesus or most of the New Testament (except the hateful stuff they like), and focus more on the Old Testament.

Of course, Phelps doesn't believe in the whole salvation thing.  He believes in an "elect" of God for salvation, which just so happens to include him and his followers, and nobody else.

Free Bradley Manning
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout