Will there ever be a Republican landslide again? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:50:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will there ever be a Republican landslide again? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Will there ever be a Republican landslide again?  (Read 16696 times)
Donovan
Rookie

« on: October 09, 2004, 07:55:55 PM »

Both Rudy and Arnold could pull it off.

Rudy and Arnold are Republicans?

I thought Republicans were against Abortion and Gay rights. When did their platform change? When did Arnold get the Republican nomination for something?
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:59:43 PM »

I would define a landslide as 40 states.  If we defeat Kerry as I believe we will, next democratic opponent should be Hillary.  A republican strong on defense but socially moderate ( McCain, Rudy, Ridge, Colin Powell) could carry 40+ states against her.  Yes, we could alienate the more right wing part of our party with these candidates but to landslide, you need to take their base.

Republicans would never nominate McCain or a Black Guy for President. They have had their chance to do both and win big in 1996 and 2000 and passed it up.

If common sense was present in the Republican Party, I would be supporting the party and there would be no need for the Democratic Party.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 09:17:24 PM »

bush is wrong for wanting to ban it at the federal level.

kerry/edwards are just as wrong for wanting to ban it at teh state level.

civil unions?  is that some kind of consolation prize?  it reminds me a whole lot of 'separate but equal'

I agree actually. I also think that Civil Unions is second citizenship. It is like trying to say, we are going to free the slaves, but they still won't be equal to the rest of population.
But, civil unions are step in the right direction. Just like getting rid of slavery was a step in the right direction.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 09:29:56 PM »

bush is wrong for wanting to ban it at the federal level.

kerry/edwards are just as wrong for wanting to ban it at teh state level.

civil unions?  is that some kind of consolation prize?  it reminds me a whole lot of 'separate but equal'

I agree actually. I also think that Civil Unions is second citizenship. It is like trying to say, we are going to free the slaves, but they still won't be equal to the rest of population.
But, civil unions are step in the right direction. Just like getting rid of slavery was a step in the right direction.

As I said in my above post, civil unions, as they want them, would be exactly the same as marriage, only not called "marriage".  Given how many Americans are opposed to the idea of same-sex marriage, I think that their stance makes sense, really.

Separate but equal is not acceptable. Furthermore, it is not possible, that has been proven. There will be rights left out. Just refusing to call someone by the same name is disrespectful. You are saying that their love is not the same. I think that is wrong, and classifies people in society and generates social discrimination.
This is not about religion. Christians are not challenging the legitimacy of Jewish Marriages, or Atheist Marriages. This is about bigotry. Married people and single straight people think they are better, and their love is superior. It is that simple.
The reason that Kerry/Edwards take the Civil Unions stand is because Kerry would lose votes, and Edwards, I don't think gives a crap about the issue at all and was badly misinformed about DOMA, is taking his stand so he doesn't contradict Kerry as his VP.

Nonetheless, their position is 180 degrees in the direction of Bush and haters inc. of wanting to constitutionalize (not sure if that is word, but you know what I am saying) bigotry.

Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 09:38:53 PM »

Kerry voted against DOMA
Bush supports the Federal Marriage Amendment

Bush and Kerry are the same on gay rights?

180 degrees means the opposite direction. 360 degrees would be the same direction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies