Obama's "ProfessorGATES" political damage meter......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:43:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's "ProfessorGATES" political damage meter......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: How much wil "ProfessorGATES" hurt Obama
Substantial lasting damage

A small bit of lasting damage

A blip that will go away pretty soon

Small lasting benefit

Substantial lasting benefit

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Obama's "ProfessorGATES" political damage meter......  (Read 5021 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:12:45 PM »

The events with Professor Gates and Obama's comments there to...

Political impact?

Ready, set, pontificate!!!!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »

Blip that will go away soon, I see no reason how this has any substantial impact either way.

Also, "ProfessorGATES?" Seriously? Wow.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »

Blip that will go away soon, I see no reason how this has any substantial impact either way.

Also, "ProfessorGATES?" Seriously? Wow.

A play on words....

We have had Watergate, whitewatergate, thisgate, thatgate, pick a scandal and drop "gate" on it...

so the GATES part was a bit of fun at the expense of the media and the talking heads...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »

A small, mostly negative blip with very little lasting impact, although the lasting impact that there will be, will likely be heavily on the negative side.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

A small, mostly negative blip with very little lasting impact, although the lasting impact that there will be, will likely be heavily on the negative side.

Not sure this is necessarily the case.  It provides a good "yes, I have made a mistake during my first term in office" anecdote to dodge that question during interviews in 2012 Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:29:48 PM »

Not sure this is necessarily the case.  It provides a good "yes, I have made a mistake during my first term in office" anecdote to dodge that question during interviews in 2012 Wink

That's interesting Tongue but Obama seems to take a Bushian approach to that sort of thing, at least so far.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:55:08 PM »

I agree.  Though I'm sure some moron will bring it up in 2012, but nobody will care.

And the correct term is "Gatesgate", Vorlon.  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

A small amount of negative damage, but lasting.  This damage:

1.  Makes Obama look anti-law and order.

2.  Makes Obama look like he's backing Gates because Gates is black (He isn't, but it's left that perception).

3.  It make Obama like he's engaged in elitist engaged in cronyism. 

Bad timing short term.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:31 PM »

It is a blip, anyone who says otherwise isn't very smart.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »

Impeachable offense, DUH.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2009, 02:28:10 AM by Torie »

My choice seems to be the consensus.  OK, he was inartful with words, which was typical for his predecessor, but unusual for him. Maybe sitting in the Oval Office dumbs you down or something. Tongue
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »

The "correct" answer is a small bit of lasting damage.

Obama needed the headlines coming out of his news conference to be about his (embattled) health care bill - they clearly were not.

His reaction also undermines his message of hope and reconciliation and makes this appear to be (racial) politics as usual.

I am sure the GOP has had a good week fund raising.

Not a crippling event by any means, but a small bit of lasting hurt.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

The President should not become involved in matters such as this.

It was stupid in the extreme, in particular in view of the fact that Obama did not bother to get the full story before commenting.

Racial profiling, absolute nonsense.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »

I disagree with the idea the headlines "clearly" were about this and not his news conference. Maybe I just looked at the political websites at the wrong time, but all the ones I saw (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) were talking about the conference, not this.

Granted, I didn't check Fox News.....
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »

Obama needed the headlines coming out of his news conference to be about his (embattled) health care bill - they clearly were not.

His reaction also undermines his message of hope and reconciliation and makes this appear to be (racial) politics as usual.

bla bla bla, this will be forgotten in a few weeks. Obama changed his views on this enough so it won't affect him long term.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »

Now the story may be different on Fox News, but on most of the newstations I've listened to so far I've heard like 15 seconds on this story and it usually is about the officer and the professor, never about Obama's comments on the incident. With that said, this is an epic little blip that will be gone by next week. Mark my words.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »

Completely insignificant. Obama certainly conducted himself better than either Gates or Crowley.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52:23 PM »

It's a small distraction that killed the small chance that the House would pass health care before the recess, which may prove a good hing for Obama depending on what happens to it during the recess.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59:10 PM »

bla bla bla, this will be forgotten in a few weeks days. Obama changed his views on this enough so it won't affect him long term.

Fixed
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »

The events with Professor Gates and Obama's comments there to...

Political impact?

Ready, set, pontificate!!!!

The only ones who are reading into this are--and I respctfully submit the following--you and those who share your long-held and hotly-brewing animosity of the president.

Seriously, how much whiter could have you expected him to be?  The man backpedaled about as fast as anyone could.  Far faster than the connecticut-born WASP president he succeded.  He has already said that they both overreacted.  A guy who is the president can't actually come out and say that he thought that they were both assholes.  But he did say, "Gates is a friend of mine, so I might be biased..."  If you don't understand that as, "Look, I recognize that he's a shoulder chip-wielding asshole, but..." then you're a fool. 

I hear that lots of folks are reading much into this, but the folks who are reading too much into this are the same folks who'd read much into Joe Biden's comment about how hot Ukranian women are, and the same folks take too much notice of how good Corey Haim looks when he's sporting a kick-ass mullet.  Democrats who like mullets will always like mullets.  Same for Republicans.  But they'll forget their mullets as soon as you pass them the crack pipe.  This is why they wear mullets in the first place.  Business in the front, party in the back.  If they had 70s arena-rock haircuts they'd burn the front part off as soon as they lit the pipe, and end up with a mullet anyway.  Especially if they're black. 'Cause that shit catches fire very easily.  Know what I mean?

We watched Madagascar II tonight with my son.  It's a subtle metaphor, dealing with a number of societal ills, some of which have been addressed in this forum of late.  You should check it out.  You could use your aluminum foil hat to reserve the seat next to you, if you should find someone who might want to watch the show with you.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2009, 12:48:25 AM by Aizen »

No, that would be the incorrect answer. I will personally tell you what the correct answer here is so listen closely.

There will be no "damage" from this seeing as how this stupid fiasco will be completely forgotten in a months time. I really would advise against getting giddy over pathetic things like this.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 12:10:02 AM »

Almost nobody cares about this. Sorry.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »

No, that would be the incorrect answer. I will personally tell you what the correct answer here so listen closely.

There will be no "damage" from this seeing as how this stupid fiasco will be completely forgotten in a months time. I really would advise against getting giddy over stupid things like this.

It changes public perception of Obama, and not in a good way.  That will last.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »

No, that would be the incorrect answer. I will personally tell you what the correct answer here so listen closely.

There will be no "damage" from this seeing as how this stupid fiasco will be completely forgotten in a months time. I really would advise against getting giddy over stupid things like this.

Reverend Wright was suppose to torpedo Obama....umm... his "guns and religion" remark was suppose to shipwreck him...and somehow this will when those did not? Maybe you are right, but it would a change..
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »

Reverend Wright was suppose to torpedo Obama....umm... his "guns and religion" remark was suppose to shipwreck him...and somehow this will when those did not? Maybe you are right, but it would a change..

No, he's not right, not even close. It's okay to come out and say it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies