Patrick Tied in 3-Way Race, Trails in 2-Way
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Patrick Tied in 3-Way Race, Trails in 2-Way
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Patrick Tied in 3-Way Race, Trails in 2-Way  (Read 5865 times)
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

New poll from the Globe, so skepticism applies, though usually the Globe practically push polls for Democrats. That said I can't find too much of that here other than the neutral option in approvals and no effort to push or detect leaners. Nevertheless, really bad for Patrick, and not Great for the GOP.

Approval
35/56

Favorable
36/54 Patrick
42/17 Cahill
16/14 Baker
29/40 Mihos
56/17 Coakley(just for the heck of it)

3 Way
30% Patrick
30% Cahill
20% Baker

2 Way
41% Baker
35% Patrick

41% Mihos
40% Patrick

The main thing I take from this poll is that while Cahill's prospects as an independent look pretty good, I really think he could have won a primary or forced Patrick out. As for Baker, he is too unknown to get an accurate gauge.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/specials/072609_poll/
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

Good news for my man Cahill.

Also, Dan do you know Cahill's positions on issues like abortion, gay marriage, and gun control? I know he is a fiscal conservative (by Mass standards) and is kind of running a blue-collar campaign, but I don't know his social views.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »

Also, Dan do you know Cahill's positions on issues like abortion, gay marriage, and gun control? I know he is a fiscal conservative (by Mass standards) and is kind of running a blue-collar campaign, but I don't know his social views.

I am interested in this also. Of course, if Cahill is a social conservative then he will get my endorsement.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2009, 04:50:50 PM by Dan the Roman »

Pretty sure he is Pro-Gay Marriage, but almost everyone is in Massachusetts these days. Both Republicans are as well I think, though Baker has not made it completely clear.

Cahill is "personally pro-life" but opposes legislating additional restrictions on abortion. As for gun control, it really has not been a big issue in the state for at least decade.

He is mainly running as a fiscal Conservative, opposing tax hikes, and he has called MA health care law "undoable".

Update: In his own words

During a telephone interview, Cahill outlined stances on social issues, saying he was open to sanctioning capital punishment in Massachusetts.

“I would be open, if the Legislature wanted to reinstate the death penalty under certain circumstances,” Cahill said. Asked the circumstances, he replied, “I don’t want to get into specifics.”

The treasurer said he was “socially moderate, not very far from the party orthodoxy, personally pro-life or opposed to abortion from a religious point of view, but I wouldn’t impose those views on the state or on the law, so in effect, from a political standpoint, pro-choice.” He said he favored “marriage equality.”

Cahill said he would downplay the social issues angle of the campaign: “I won’t spend a lot of time talking about it, because if I run in this next election cycle it will be based on the economy because that’s what people care about the most.”

Cahill called the corporate tax rate “very high” and the state’s income tax rate “pretty good.”

He said he had suggested the state consider paring spending by backing off its universal health care effort, aid to cities and towns, and education – three nearly sacrosanct areas of state spending that have all seen reductions amid the current budget crisis.

“We can’t be all things to all people,” Cahill said.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/arlington/news/x931223435/Patrick-invites-Cahill-to-bring-is-A-game-in-run-for-corner-office

Interesting last quote
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »

I wish Cahill would have just done a party switch and scored the GOP nomination.  It'd make this ousting of Patrick such a cleaner, more likely affair. If Patrick wins re-election with 37% or something, I'll puke.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »

Huh, while I disagree with him on some of his economic views, I think he would make a great governor, simply because he is a change of pace both from liberal Dems like Patrick and liberal GOPs like Romney and Weld.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »

I wish Cahill would have just done a party switch and scored the GOP nomination.  It'd make this ousting of Patrick such a cleaner, more likely affair. If Patrick wins re-election with 37% or something, I'll puke.

I'd laugh and think it was pretty awesome.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »

Because you're not actually from Massachusetts, of course!  Wink
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »

We would have to live with him for four years. And you have no clue how arrogant Patrick and his supporters are. Check out some of the posters on bluemassgroup sometime.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »

If in doubt in the end, Patrick will use the, "do you really want a republican running this state?"

Unforunately, the anti-Bush slogan will probably still work.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »

Same here.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

interesting that they polled coakley's approval.

i think she is gearing up for a run at kennedy's seat when it becomes available.

look at all the media she has been doing.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »

Update: In his own words

During a telephone interview, Cahill outlined stances on social issues, saying he was open to sanctioning capital punishment in Massachusetts.

“I would be open, if the Legislature wanted to reinstate the death penalty under certain circumstances,” Cahill said. Asked the circumstances, he replied, “I don’t want to get into specifics.”

The treasurer said he was “socially moderate, not very far from the party orthodoxy, personally pro-life or opposed to abortion from a religious point of view, but I wouldn’t impose those views on the state or on the law, so in effect, from a political standpoint, pro-choice.” He said he favored “marriage equality.”

Cahill said he would downplay the social issues angle of the campaign: “I won’t spend a lot of time talking about it, because if I run in this next election cycle it will be based on the economy because that’s what people care about the most.”

Cahill called the corporate tax rate “very high” and the state’s income tax rate “pretty good.”

He said he had suggested the state consider paring spending by backing off its universal health care effort, aid to cities and towns, and education – three nearly sacrosanct areas of state spending that have all seen reductions amid the current budget crisis.

“We can’t be all things to all people,” Cahill said.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/arlington/news/x931223435/Patrick-invites-Cahill-to-bring-is-A-game-in-run-for-corner-office

Interesting last quote

I like this guy.  He'd get my vote if I lived there.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »

cahill is an asshat..as phil would say.

establishing the death penalty and cutting money for health care isnt what the state needs.  but he doesnt care.   he is looking out for the angry white male.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »

Patrick headed for third?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/08/11/ex_t_chief_urged_fare_hike_delay/
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »

Ah, the control-by-overthrow play went sour.

Patrick and his people were caught flat out lying on this issue and yet they still continue to lie—it's a very Bush-lite move on his part. As predicted, the administration canceled all the fare hike hearings (can you imagine how badly his reps would have gotten gutted?).

Just more evidence that Patrick has no management skills.  But we knew that already, didn't we?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »

danny boy got a handsome payoff.

i will not shed any tears for him.

he and mr. moderate must be the only two gay republicans in the state.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

I have a hunch though that Danny boy may be Lt. Governor two years from now.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »

Really now?  I have a hunch that his "approvals" are much lower than you think they are.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »

Really now?  I have a hunch that his "approvals" are much lower than you think they are.

Perhaps, he has taken damage from the train-wreck(figuratively of course) that is the T, but he did a good job at the DMV, most people in the legislature and media like him, and him being gay gets Baker moderate credentials and a whole lot of positive national media not to mention fund-raising.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »

PS: I've been noticing Google ads all over the place today linking me to "bigdigbaker" dot com.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »

PS: I've been noticing Google ads all over the place today linking me to "bigdigbaker" dot com.

A Patrick site with the webdesign skills one would expect from his operation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies