America after the nuclear war: The John Glenn administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:57:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America after the nuclear war: The John Glenn administration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America after the nuclear war: The John Glenn administration  (Read 44808 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 02, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »

I love it! Cheesy However, I don't see Detroit on that list...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »

There is no more Detroit.

Dang. Well that probably wipes out my mom (daughter of an auto engineer), though I think my dad only moved into the state in 1984...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »

There is no more Detroit.

Dang. Well that probably wipes out my mom (daughter of an auto engineer), though I think my dad only moved into the state in 1984...

He erased my parents as well.

What'll happen to the political message boards of the future if all the posters are being killed before they're even born?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:07:18 AM »

Why wouldn't they re-election Reagan in a landslide? Also, why is the election held one year early?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

This is sorta a Day After TL. Cathcon is good at post-apocalyptic fiction, so it could be pretty cool to see Cathcon do a TL that briefly describes the atomic war and goes more into depth over the aftermath.

Thanks. That reminds me: I should update A&O today with two of the 1950 elections.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »

I'm wondering who wins in 1996 and when/if the east coast is officially opened for the public once more.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »

Awesome stuff.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

As bad as I made it, realistically, it'd be a lot worse. For example, I show...what...like... 100 Soviet missile strikes on targets. Realistically, the Soviets had atleast double what the United States had in 1983 and I know that we had atleast 1000 ICBMs in our Minuteman silos in the Midwest.

Blatant falsehood. Kennedy got elected in 1960 saying the same thing. When he attained the office, he was shocked to see how greatly the Defence Department reached and we all know what happened when he put the CIA under State Department control. The missile gap between the USA and USSR was wide but favoured the former not the latter. What you are propagating is a myth spawned by Neoconservatives Imperialists.

What Mr. Weasel says is correct. That data is backed up by quite a few different sources. By the late 70's, the Soviets had surpassed us in total amount of ICBM's. I did a paper on it, to be found here, though you probably wouldn't approve of my sources. I highly doubt such a "myth" would be backed up by a wide array of sources, including the National Resources Defense Council.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »

As bad as I made it, realistically, it'd be a lot worse. For example, I show...what...like... 100 Soviet missile strikes on targets. Realistically, the Soviets had atleast double what the United States had in 1983 and I know that we had atleast 1000 ICBMs in our Minuteman silos in the Midwest.

Blatant falsehood. Kennedy got elected in 1960 saying the same thing. When he attained the office, he was shocked to see how greatly the Defence Department reached and we all know what happened when he put the CIA under State Department control. The missile gap between the USA and USSR was wide but favoured the former not the latter. What you are propagating is a myth spawned by Neoconservatives Imperialists.

Also, you are falsely equating the 1950's Kennedy "missile gap" with the one that actually existed from the late 70's onward. And even if you were right, which you are far from, (CIA analysts were of course trained to go with worst case scenarios, and numbers on US vs. USSR stockpiles were not public at the time), the term "neoconservative" did not exist back in the freakin' 50's, and I think the term "imperialism" hardly applies in this era and context. I'd recommend "hawks" if you're gonna try to make this argument again.

I'm sorry, I still can't get over that last sentence. Just hilarious.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »

Do you the massive buildup they did in the late 70s and 80s was because they thought they could under Carter then thought they must under Reagan and ultimately the build-up helped lead to the Malthusian catastrophe that lead to the dissolution of the Soviet Union?

Though in the defense of those who are not super-hawks, at the point that they were in the 70s and 80s, the amount became inconsequential. I wonder how many armed and ready to deploy weapons each side had.

Just for clarification, whom are you addressing?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies