I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:10:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again.  (Read 3856 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

I've noticed that even some of the marginally left-leaning (although generally not very informed) people that I talk to once in a while are scared of Obama's health care plan. Ask them for specifics as to why they are scared and most will spout wildly inaccurate information or nothing at all. Still, I'm not very hopeful. It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

I fear this as well, though one advantage we have is that we can (hopefully) learn from the mistakes of before.

In addition, Congress overall is quite a bit more progressive now than it was during Clinton's first two years. We have a more Democratic Senate, and while the numbers in the House are about the same, there are far fewer conservative Southern Democrats, so that alone makes the likelihood of passage quite a bit higher.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2009, 08:40:22 PM by Eraserhead »

The Facebook status updates from people I know on it disturb me.

Check this out: "John Doe thinks that this health care plan sucks. Sorry I voted for some dummy who could possibly put people I love out of work!" wtf, seriously?

Anyway, maybe it's just me. This sucks though, it'd be nice if my 53-year-old father could get some health coverage.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »

I've noticed that even some of the marginally left-leaning (although generally not very informed) people that I talk to once in a while are scared of Obama's health care plan. Ask them for specifics as to why they are scared and most will spout wildly inaccurate information or nothing at all. Still, I'm not very hopeful. It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.

My god do we need good music again.....
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »

I fear this as well, though one advantage we have is that we can (hopefully) learn from the mistakes of before.

In addition, Congress overall is quite a bit more progressive now than it was during Clinton's first two years. We have a more Democratic Senate, and while the numbers in the House are about the same, there are far fewer conservative Southern Democrats, so that alone makes the likelihood of passage quite a bit higher.

I suppose you are right, Nym. It'd be nice if they could pull their heads out of their asses, fall in line and get this thing over with though.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »

Yeah, it is scary at how much the "OMG Big Government!!!" thing scares people. For some reason that logic doesn't apply to things like national defense or public safety, but yeah.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »

After tomorrow (maybe Thursday), I'll read the health care bills and give you my opinion.  I know what to expect but I am curious as to the details.

Just as a simple political pointer, over each week of the last 6 weeks (at least) I have seen a different tax trotted out in the news to pay for the health care legislation.  Politically, that means that different ideas are being tested to see which ones people react less negatively to.

As in terms of numbers (without reading the bill, but I am close to certain) it translates rather simply also...  The health care legislation proposed will cost the proverbial "arm and a leg" and given the fact that it is health care, I would think it rather fair to project that it will also cost "a couple of unknown eyeballs in the future" as well unless there is a certain amount of rationing.

The math doesn't lie.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

The trillion dollar number floating around cannot help, particularly in this economy and with spending out of control on seemingly everything else. It would have been wiser to focus on targeted insurance premium subsidies, and taking some action to make health insurance more transparent and portable.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »

Yeah, it is scary at how much the "OMG Big Government!!!" thing scares people. For some reason that logic doesn't apply to things like national defense or public safety, but yeah.

But of course. I actually saw that you posted something to that effect on facebook too. Heh.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »

I would argue that the costs of doing nothing are far greater than those of taking action, but of course those are less directly quantifiable.

But if y'all want to argue that Medicare/Medicaid have been colossal failures and that we'd be much better off without them, feel free to make that argument to the public, including citing such figures as poverty rates among the senior population today compared to 1965 to help prove your case. People in poverty don't pay much in taxes of course, hence my argument in paragraph 1 about the costs of doing nothing....that's even leaving aside any quality of life/moral arguments of course.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 08:59:37 PM »

I like how Democrats here make claims as if it were the complete truth.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »

It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.

New Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam albums will be released this September. It is 1994 again, my friend.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »

I know what to expect but I am curious as to the details.

What are you expecting?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

From the last poll I could find:

Who do you trust to do a better job handling health care reform: Obama or the Republicans in Congress?

Obama 54%
Republicans 34%
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »

I enjoy their latest claim: It's a plot to put old people to death.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.

New Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam albums will be released this September. It is 1994 again, my friend.

Alice In Chains does not exist without Layne Staley, imho.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »

I like how Democrats here make claims as if it were the complete truth.

... such as?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »

We all know what the end game of this, don't we, which is absolutely necessary. The word I am thinking of starts with an "r."  The trick is how to effect "r" politically, which is damn tough. Do you get my drift?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:48 PM »

From the last poll I could find:

Who do you trust to do a better job handling health care reform: Obama or the Republicans in Congress?

Obama 54%
Republicans 34%

Ya, my party is singularly ineffectual at present, so the rating is deserved.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »

I'd like to know what the Republicans are pushing for healthcare reform?

The party of no is fresh out of ideas.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »

We all know what the end game of this, don't we, which is absolutely necessary. The word I am thinking of starts with an "r."  The trick is how to effect "r" politically, which is damn tough. Do you get my drift?

Yes, reform is always difficult, as the deck is stacked strongly in favor of the status quo.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »

Alice In Chains does not exist without Layne Staley, imho.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

Yes, reform is always difficult, as the deck is stacked strongly in favor of the status quo.

No the "r" word is "rationing."  Write it down.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

They are pushing for more competition and transparency, and have some good ideas about it, but can't get their arms around how to deal with the uninsured, and if you don't deal with that, along with the skyrocketing cost of all these new medical technologies, you just aren't in the game, but nibbling around the edges. It is pathetic really.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 11:11:02 PM »

They are pushing for more competition and transparency, and have some good ideas about it, but can't get their arms around how to deal with the uninsured, and if you don't deal with that, along with the skyrocketing cost of all these new medical technologies, you just aren't in the game, but nibbling around the edges. It is pathetic really.

They need to sell the accurate fact that nationalized medicine will squash medical innovation. The uninsured are a small segment of the population. Why should we destroy the healthcare of the vast majority of Americans to cover 10-15 million Americans?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies