I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:24:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think Republicans are succeeding at scaring people over health care again.  (Read 3967 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

I've noticed that even some of the marginally left-leaning (although generally not very informed) people that I talk to once in a while are scared of Obama's health care plan. Ask them for specifics as to why they are scared and most will spout wildly inaccurate information or nothing at all. Still, I'm not very hopeful. It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2009, 08:40:22 PM by Eraserhead »

The Facebook status updates from people I know on it disturb me.

Check this out: "John Doe thinks that this health care plan sucks. Sorry I voted for some dummy who could possibly put people I love out of work!" wtf, seriously?

Anyway, maybe it's just me. This sucks though, it'd be nice if my 53-year-old father could get some health coverage.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »

I fear this as well, though one advantage we have is that we can (hopefully) learn from the mistakes of before.

In addition, Congress overall is quite a bit more progressive now than it was during Clinton's first two years. We have a more Democratic Senate, and while the numbers in the House are about the same, there are far fewer conservative Southern Democrats, so that alone makes the likelihood of passage quite a bit higher.

I suppose you are right, Nym. It'd be nice if they could pull their heads out of their asses, fall in line and get this thing over with though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »

Yeah, it is scary at how much the "OMG Big Government!!!" thing scares people. For some reason that logic doesn't apply to things like national defense or public safety, but yeah.

But of course. I actually saw that you posted something to that effect on facebook too. Heh.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »

It is starting to feel like the 90s all over again only without the soothing sounds of Nirvana and Alice in Chains to help us through these dark times.

New Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam albums will be released this September. It is 1994 again, my friend.

Alice In Chains does not exist without Layne Staley, imho.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:45:42 PM »

I like how Democrats here make claims as if it were the complete truth.

... such as?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:41:57 PM »

I'd like to know what the Republicans are pushing for healthcare reform?

The party of no is fresh out of ideas.

They are pushing for more competition and transparency, and have some good ideas about it, but can't get their arms around how to deal with the uninsured, and if you don't deal with that, along with the skyrocketing cost of all these new medical technologies, you just aren't in the game, but nibbling around the edges. It is pathetic really.

They need to sell the accurate fact that nationalized medicine will squash medical innovation. The uninsured are a small segment of the population. Why should we destroy the healthcare of the vast majority of Americans to cover 10-15 million Americans?

Well, I don't agree with the first part of your post to begin with but don't you find the fact that millions are uninsured a little, err, morally disturbing?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:45:50 PM »

They are pushing for more competition and transparency, and have some good ideas about it, but can't get their arms around how to deal with the uninsured, and if you don't deal with that, along with the skyrocketing cost of all these new medical technologies, you just aren't in the game, but nibbling around the edges. It is pathetic really.

They need to sell the accurate fact that nationalized medicine will squash medical innovation. The uninsured are a small segment of the population. Why should we destroy the healthcare of the vast majority of Americans to cover 10-15 million Americans?

Well, I don't agree with the first part of your post to begin with but don't you find the fact that millions are uninsured a little, err, morally disturbing?

Insurance =/= medical treatment.

Haha, I can assure you that for many it means exactly that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:42 AM »

Insurance =/= medical treatment.

Haha, I can assure you that for many it means exactly that.

No ER can turn you down.

Medical treatment should really extend beyond an emergency room.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:10:37 AM »

I agree but don't you think that medical insurance should really only be for disastrous situations?

No, not really. Obviously we disagree on that.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 01:30:58 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2009, 11:57:56 AM by Eraserhead »

Let's agree on a compromise.

Free dental for all and call it a day?

Do I get to pick what color my new toothbrush will be?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 03:24:44 AM »

Has the GOP earned your trust?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies