BC HST referendum results expected today (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BC HST referendum results expected today (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BC HST referendum results expected today  (Read 6073 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: August 26, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »

Results will be here: http://electionsbcenr.blob.core.windows.net/electionsbcenr/REF-2011-001.html

Sign seen when I was in Vancouver

Report expected from my blog when the results are in.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »

It is expected to be close.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

The HST is an unpopular tax the BC Liberals brought in to harmonize provincial and federal goods and services taxes. While it will save the governments money, it also increases taxes on certain things. Ontario introduced the HST here too, but there was less outrage about it. (In BC, the Premier resigned over it, and they got a referendum). One of its effects was increasing tax on gas, which pissed a lot of the working and middle classes off. In Ontario, the NDP and the Tories are against it, and in BC the NDP is against it. Voting yes on the referendum will get rid of it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »

So it's levied in one step, the money then split between the feds and the province?

I remember when I was in Alberta that you always had to mentally add sales tax to supermarket prizes. Quite annoying, I thought that.

Wha? Groceries are exempt from VATs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

So, does this mean an election?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

beat me to it Sad

I guess I wont post mine here then.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »

Well, you can see it on my blog: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2011/08/referendum-to-abolish-hst-fails-in-bc.html

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »

I added dots to represent the ridings that voted BC Liberal but voted against their own party. The more dots the stronger the vote for the party.

It's quite clear that Richmond defeated the HST, with help from parts of Surrey. The other only other areas to vote incorrectly, outside the NDP ridings, were along the Alberta border, and I can't really blame them for being so close to something so evil when it comes to taxes.

I noted that in my blog; Richmond and the Peace River seem to be the populist parts of BC.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »

It looks like the BC Conservatives may do well in the northern and eastern parts of BC, since these are areas where the NDP doesn't do well, but there is clear discontent with the Liberals.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »

I just hope the Conservatives in BC pull off a half decent campaign. The marriage between the centre right and the far right in BC has to end at some point.  The only reason it exists is to keep the NDP out of power.  Luckily, Christy Clark is a federal Liberal and is sure to alienate the right wing of the party.

Unfortunately though, there are more divisions in the NDP than the Liberals. Hopefully Dix is able to keep the party together. I saw him at the convention, and he seems to be very competent. He's also bilingual, which is unusual in BC. (although I can name at least 2 other BC NDP politicians who are bilingual... and I dont mean in Mandarin)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:02:05 PM »

It looks like the BC Conservatives may do well in the northern and eastern parts of BC, since these are areas where the NDP doesn't do well, but there is clear discontent with the Liberals.

The areas in the Northeast BC are more Albertan than British Columbian in their politics.  In fact I believe there was even a secessionist movement at one point to join Alberta.  It is also the only area in BC in Mountain Time and east of Continental Divide as well as looks a lot like the prairies.  In fact these two ridings both voted for the BC Reform Party in 1996 are were the only two in that election.

Seems like easy Conservative pickups if you ask me!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »

The Punjabis will vote NDP, but I don't see the Chinese doing so. Maybe they will vote Conservative, but I doubt it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

Now is a bad time to be the government of BC. There's a good chance if there is a fall election, and if the NDP wins (and they probably would) that it would be a single-term government, and that the NDP would not be returned to government in BC for quite some time to come.

That seems to be common in BC...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »

Getting rid of it is stupid, even though I would have voted to do so in BC (to stick it to the Liberals).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies