Bushie: The Final Frontier - Update Season V
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 12:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Bushie: The Final Frontier - Update Season V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 71
Author Topic: Bushie: The Final Frontier - Update Season V  (Read 130207 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »

Heck nowadays all the people who know how to build houses are not only unemployed but probably living under a bridge. 

Most home builders nowadays make a lot of money.

How is that possible - there are no houses being built.

They most certainly are. I know people doing it in Connecticut, New York, Virginia and here in Texas. They are still making money.

Yeah, there is a lot of construction going on in a lot of places. It's just nowhere near where it was during the boom, and shouldn't really be at that level anyways. The trend I have noticed, most notably in the Bay Area but also here in Nashville, is that there are a lot of small projects building a few townhomes or a few houses within populated areas. There aren't a lot of master planned communities out in the boonies being built right now. The anti-suburbanites must be happy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »

I've had a busy afternoon since I left work.  First of all, I went to an interview late yesterday afternoon for a technical support position in West Valley City a contract-to-hire position. (Yes, a call center).  It pays slightly more at $13.00/hr instead of $12.00/hr.  I have a second interview tomorrow at 14:30 and I will know by 16:00.  It is 12.5 miles from where I live and I will have benefits by April 1.  There is one position open and they are interviewing two people.  I am the second interview.  It is a 6-month contract to hire.  If I get the job tomorrow, they would allow me to put in a two week notice at Xerox and start on March 4.  I haven't made up my mind about the position, though.  It is a dollar an hour higher, but I am traveling 25 miles round trip as opposed to 2.5 miles round trip, so I'm not sure if I would be gaining anything, really, based on the extra gas I would use.  However, while it is only a dollar an hour higher, it has the potential to go up after I get on permanent which would be in September.  At Xerox, when I get on permanent, I will not get a raise.  In fact, I won't get a raise at all at Xerox unless I get promoted.  So, I'm not sure at this point.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »

Ah... ha.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »

Did anyone doubt this would happen? I knew all along he would interview elsewhere. I am sure he takes a new job by the end of the week.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »

Are you seriously considering quitting your job for a $1 per hour raise that will be eaten up by increased gas costs anyway?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

Are you seriously considering quitting your job for a $1 per hour raise that will be eaten up by increased gas costs anyway?

hahahaha
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »

I am not really for the short term, but for the long term prospects.  This company I will be interviewing for is Intermountain Health Care, the largest private employer in Utah and Southern Idaho.  There is more promise and hope of a not-too-distant raise, whereas at Xerox there is no hope for a raise.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »

But isn't it a contract-to-hire position? So you could, you know, not have a job at the end of the contract.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »

But isn't it a contract-to-hire position? So you could, you know, not have a job at the end of the contract.

Very true, but on the same token, I am still on the contract side of contract-to-hire at Xerox.  I'm pretty certain I will get on permanent, but there is no guarantee.  I wouldn't be gaining or losing anything there.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »

This has to be a diagnosable illness at this point. Someone in the know get the DSM on the horn to add Jeff Brown disease.

I love when Bushie talks up "long term prospects" when he can't stay in the same place for more than 4 months.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »

I am not really for the short term, but for the long term prospects.  This company I will be interviewing for is Intermountain Health Care, the largest private employer in Utah and Southern Idaho.  There is more promise and hope of a not-too-distant raise, whereas at Xerox there is no hope for a raise.

Long-term? There is no "long-term". There's long term advancement, not long term job changes.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »

Very true, but on the same token, I am still on the contract side of contract-to-hire at Xerox.  I'm pretty certain I will get on permanent, but there is no guarantee.  I wouldn't be gaining or losing anything there.

Ah, yes you are.

How are you expecting to become permanent unless you hang around?

Leaving for a $1 raise, which will get eaten up by petrol... and you might not have a chance with the 'raises' promised by the other option.

If you were serious, you would stay where you are to build some stability on your resume to perhaps get some kind of increased seniority which you can use to move on at a better time.

Otherwise, this is a clusterf%*^ of epic proportions ...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:46 AM »

What contractor in their right mind will hire you given you leave jobs faster than I change heads on my toothbrush?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »

Bushie, it's not that hard to get on well in a call center. I just signed paperwork to end the 10 month probationary period and get a $1,700 raise for the year at the end of the month. It's not hard, you just have to keep working.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:45 PM »

What contractor in their right mind will hire you given you leave jobs faster than I change heads on my toothbrush?

You don't just buy a new toothbrush whole?  I've never heard of 'changing heads' on a toothbrush.  Maybe on a 'shaver'...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »

Bushie, it's not that hard to get on well in a call center. I just signed paperwork to end the 10 month probationary period and get a $1,700 raise for the year at the end of the month. It's not hard, you just have to keep working.
Have you considered that you may be more skilled at this type of work than he is? We all have our talents and shortcomings.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

I wonder if Bushie has been fired?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

You don't just buy a new toothbrush whole?  I've never heard of 'changing heads' on a toothbrush.  Maybe on a 'shaver'...

An electric toothbrush.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »

Nope, still at Xerox.  I called off the interview.  I figured it would be too long of a drive and the benefits don't outweigh the risks.  So, for now, I am staying put and looking forward to finishing Month 4 at Xerox.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

An electric toothbrush.

Do people actually use those?  Sounds so 1950s!

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »

An electric toothbrush.

Do people actually use those?  Sounds so 1950s!

I do.....they make really good ones now.  And yeah, you gotta change the heads on those things periodically. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

Nope, still at Xerox.  I called off the interview.  I figured it would be too long of a drive and the benefits don't outweigh the risks.  So, for now, I am staying put and looking forward to finishing Month 4 at Xerox.

Okay, my recruiter just made a liar out of me (so what's new, right!)  He brought up another, much, much better opportunity.  It is a Desktop Support and not a traditional call center.  I will still be doing phone support, but I will also be doing face to face support and email support.  It pays $14.00 and is only 2.8 miles from my house and still no Interstate, so only 6 miles round trip..  If I wanted to get on the Interstate, it would be the very next exit after where I get on. It is a 6-month Contract to Hire, as well.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »

would you really use up the 1 dollar difference in gas by driving 10 more miles a day? Yeah some of it would go to gas but all of it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »

would you really use up the 1 dollar difference in gas by driving 10 more miles a day? Yeah some of it would go to gas but all of it.

Probably 80 cents of it.  Plus that's just 10 miles one way, 20 miles round trip.  That's an extra 100 miles a week.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

Probably 80 cents of it.  Plus that's just 10 miles one way, 20 miles round trip.  That's an extra 100 miles a week.
What kind of car do you drive Bushie?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies