I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:05:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: I have a new job!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)  (Read 50180 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »

At least i've got something.  It may not be everybody's version of a "good" job, but it could at least pay the bills for me.

Now, if this interview here at 11:15 comes up with something better, then I'll compare apples to apples and decide which one I want.  I am encouraged, though, that no matter what happens I will be working by the end of the week.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »

At least i've got something.  It may not be everybody's version of a "good" job, but it could at least pay the bills for me.

Jeff: we are concerned that it isn't what you would consider a good job, either. It won't provide the stability you need nor use your skills, and you will find yourself worse off for having taken it rather than waiting for something more reputable. It won't pay the bills after the first week or so, is the concern. The reason you have been picked up for positions like this so very, very quickly is that they rely on people who are in great need of finding work right away and will take any offer they get that looks reasonable to them. They know that most people they hire won't pan out in this role and can be replaced quickly with the next guy who thinks he is getting a steady job that will pay the bills, too.

I'm glad you have another interview with a more traditional job as an administrative assistant. Please do take a very close look at that apple before you compare--both the positive spots they are promising you right now, and blemishes people are pointing out to you about the skills this job needs and how difficult it is to succeed. You need stability above all else and a job in sales for a questionable product will not provide it.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »

I got a letter from someone in nigeria about my uncle dying. Should I send some money to get his insurance money?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »

Just go into town and apply at McDonalds.  The internet is your worst enemy at this point.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

Let me put it this way.

I am not a Christian. I do not believe in the devil.

But I believe there are bad people out there who will pretend to be your friends and tempt you with offers that are too good to be true, playing off of your good faith and goodness as a person, only to take from you what you have and leave you and your loved ones worse off than before. They thrive in our world, abusing other people's trust and turning it into their own livelihood. You may think of this as the devil at work, or sinners, but it is a truth of our world that we can all agree on.

I don't know how you cope with the presence of evil like this in the world. It is hard. You can't close your eyes and hope that God will lead you in the right direction. You know, and I see that you know, that you have to gather up as much information as you can and hope you make the right decision. Part of this can be through doing web searches, but it is not enough. You need to build on your own knowledge from your previous jobs. The pay has to match what you know your labor is worth; the tasks have to be what you know you can do well. Ask yourself why they would hire you and not someone else. And if you want to trust a job, it has to look something like what you know from work you've already done. It has to look familiar and draw on the wisdom you have gained as an adult. If it is very different and looks too good to be true, if it isn't familiar to you, it's probably a false gift that will leave you worse off than before. This is how our world works.

Again, I do not know if you believe in the devil. But if you do, you will see his handiwork in ON-company and in AmeriPlan. I have complete faith in that and hope you can believe that we are sincere and deeply concerned in expressing this to you.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

Just go into town and apply at McDonalds Chili's.  The internet is your worst enemy at this point.

There is reasonable money to be made waiting tables. It's pretty demanding and the money's not 100% consistant, but it's a decent temporary job that's fairly easy to get.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »

Or just go to a temp agency like I said. Worse things than getting $11/hour to do data entry for six weeks.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »

Yeah, I don't see bushie busing tables.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »

How do you like driving a truck? I hear that pays fairly well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »

How do you like driving a truck? I hear that pays fairly well.

The other people on the road are the biggest problem. Many people don't know how to drive properly on the interstate. But the job does pay well if you work for a company. I'll probably walk away with 60k this year which is pretty good money for Florida.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »

I don't think he read them... Sounds like a pryamid to me..

Well, at least it's a slow train wreck as opposed to a fast train wreck.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »

I got a letter from someone in nigeria about my uncle dying. Should I send some money to get his insurance money?

Totally.
Actually, I think it would be a better idea if you left them your bank account number and your social security, that way it is MUCH EASIER to put money into your account and they know you are a very trustworthy person.
[/Extreme Sarcasm]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »

The median wage in the US is apparently about $26 000. That would be $14-15 per hour based on an average work year of 1777 hours (which is what wikipedia tells me). 

Yes, the median, Gustaf - which obviously means that half the population is living on less than that, and it is quite likely that millions upon millions are in fact living on $7-8/hour.  So nothing about your post refuted any of my remarks, and we're still left with the question - how do these millions survive on $7-8/hour?

This thread is getting depressing.

The life of most people is depressing Gustaf - life is misery, at least for the vast majority.  Even for those who are privileged, such as yourself, pain and suffering are the norm near the end of life.  Wake up and smell the stench of death, Gustaf - the world sucks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »

I name this thread "Traincrash". May God bless her and all who sail in her.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »

This other interview didn't turn out so well.  I'm not going to even do it.  My mother and dad are optimistic about Ameriplan and they know I can do it.  They just want me to have a job, and have a job now, and this is not the worst thing in the world.  This job can pay pretty well, if I am willing to put in the work required, which I am, and Mom and Dad know that.  See, I need something that will help cover $3,000 in medication.  This company will allow me to do that, or at least get it down to a more manageable $1,000-$2,000.

This other job would have required be to be away from home from early Monday morning clear through to midnight Friday morning sleeping in hotels away fro m my fiancee'.  It would be very hard to plan a wedding being gone 3 nights a week and would be even harder being gone 3 nights a week when trying to nurture a brand new marriage.

At least with Ameriplan, it will still be hard initially to plan the wedding, but I have 8 months to save up and grow my business and the marriage would be off to a more financially stable foot, since the presentation he gave me yesterday absolutely said NO chargebacks.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #317 on: July 28, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »

This thread is getting depressing.

Yeah.

I wish someone could have offered better advice to the parents about what this opportunity really is or isn't, but they'll learn.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #318 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

The Problem is that the people whose advice he listens to are just as naive...
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #319 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »

This job can pay pretty well, if I am willing to put in the work required, which I am, and Mom and Dad know that. 

How old are you?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #320 on: July 28, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »

Yep, as I first feared. Pyramid scheme (that's what MLM stands for).

Whether they are a scam or not is I guess a matter of opinion. Some people do indeed make money, a lot of it, and most of these companies do manage to stay just this side of legal (the company itself makes oodles of cash and so can afford good lawyers to ensure it all skates on the right side of the thin edge of the ice).

But you have to be able to convince other people to become brokers/representatives in order to make any real cash. If they cite "average" income figures, they are almost certainly a mean which is highly skewed by a tiny percentage of very well to do reps at the top of the pyramid.

I sold Cutco for one summer during college. I ended up at least making enough to pay for the knives that I had to buy to get started (I didn't actually make any profit but being 19 and on summer break I didn't really care anyway). But yeah, they are great knives, I still have them and getting them for free was I guess an ok deal (I only did it for about 2-3 weeks). It's just kinda hard to make money selling them since not many people want to pay hundreds of dollars for knives and even fewer want you to try to convince them to.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: July 28, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

No Nym, I don't want any damn knives. Cheesy
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #322 on: July 28, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »

And oh yeah, your "upline" will be constantly telling you that if you just work harder, you'd make money, and the fact that you aren't is your own fault and of course not the system. Get used to that.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. Just be aware that 97 percent of people in MLMs make no money at all and usually lose money actually. The document that Meeker linked to did indeed show that there were start up fees, training kits, etc.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #323 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

Is Avon considered that Nym?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #324 on: July 28, 2010, 10:40:23 PM »