Enough of this "Moral Issues" Nonsense! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 04:00:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Enough of this "Moral Issues" Nonsense! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Enough of this "Moral Issues" Nonsense!  (Read 3138 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: November 06, 2004, 01:26:52 PM »

Even though the percentage of 'fundamentalist Christians' may not have been greater than before, the percentage of Americans whos' vote was motivated by the fundamentalist's style of hatred was much larger.  This makes me question the definition of 'fundamentalist'.  I suspect that in fact a large majority of americans both believe in god and are hateful bigots.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »

Fear does not always outperform hope.  1992 was proof positive.  It's a matter of whichever is made to be more Believable.

I have to agree with JJ on this one.  The Republicans were of course responsible for the active effort of characterization.  But they weren't responsible for the ammunition given to them by their own opponent.  To what extent do we say "The Democrats did a bad job of correcting it" over "It was really correct to some degree"  ?

Religious Demographics are on the side of the Democrats.  Add time to trends, and religion becomes a Democratic advantage.  Make no mistake, the South is transforming and becoming infested with all the religious elements that the Religious Right fear most.  It's foolish to judge American culture based on the timing of its election cycles.

As things progress, the South will continue to be the bastion of 'Old Fashioned' Theology...but it's already in seige mode...and has been for a long time.  Urbanite liberals wish they could wiggle their noses and enlighten them overnight by preaching their own futuristic vision...but that's not how it works.  Mostly, you wait until old people die, and young people age enough to get a grip and start voting.

Thanks, Niles Caulder, this is the most hopeful post I've read in a long while.

On the other hand I'm not entirely convinced the trend is away from relgion.  I hope you're right.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies