PA 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:57:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 68
Author Topic: PA 13  (Read 328345 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: January 04, 2005, 03:04:46 AM »

no see, Fitz is not.

Being Pro-life does not a far righty make. The man was a centrist county commissioner. Pretty good environmental record, good record on taxes. My main problem with him was that he is a tool of Fawkes.

No one's gonna challenge him.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #876 on: January 04, 2005, 03:06:40 AM »

no see, Fitz is not.

Being Pro-life does not a far righty make. The man was a centrist county commissioner. Pretty good environmental record, good record on taxes. My main problem with him was that he is a tool of Fawkes.

No one's gonna challenge him.

Do u think he'll be lock step with Bush?  I know the unions backed him.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #877 on: January 04, 2005, 03:10:42 AM »

I don't expect him to get out of line too much...since he's a first term congressman...didn't expect the other GOP hopefuls to either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #878 on: January 04, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »

I hope you can remain civil unlike your last events on the forum.

It's unfortunate that I have to announce that tomorrow Allyson Schwartz will be sworn in as Congresswoman for PA 13  Sad

However, some good news: Fitzpatrick prevailed and will be Congressman in PA 8  Smiley

Like I predicted.

Well that's not true. I believe you were one of the first people to call for a Democratic pickup when I posted that Greenwood would retire.

And, BL, Fritz is not far right. I think he'll have a good conservative, not extreme, record.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #879 on: January 04, 2005, 03:56:10 PM »

though I assumed the dems would nominate a half decent candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #880 on: January 04, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »

though I assumed the dems would nominate a half decent candidate.

You claimed it would be a Dem pickup either way. I remember that day when many Republicans were crying "A Dem pickup..." and the Dems were celebrating. I had stated that with Fritz, that would have been the Dems best chance but they still wouldn't pickup the seat.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2005, 02:37:19 AM »

New name?  Hey, we're neighbors.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #882 on: January 05, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »

Nothing is stopping them from having their own thread, BL. Mixing our Congressional districts, even though PA 8 has a clearly better member of the House, should not be accepted.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #883 on: January 23, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »

Talking 2006

Hello. This is Talking 2006 with Keystone Phil. In just a few months, candidates who wish to run for Congress in 2006 will begin to get their names out/fundraise.

Big questions:

1) Is Schwartz beatable?
2) Will Sam Katz run?
3) If Katz does run, can he beat Schwartz?
4) If Schwartz is beatable, are there any candidates besides Katz that can beat her?
5) Will Al Taubenberger run for and win the GOP nomination?

My answers

1) Yes but it will be tough.
2) I think he's going to be the focus of PA 13 Republican leaders. He'll definetley consider.
3) Yes he can beat Schwartz.
4) Bruce Castor could win but it seems unlikely that he will run.
5) Taubenberger will run and, once again, lose the race for the GOP nomination.

And in other news...

He might not be a serious candidate to take the seat for the GOP but financial analyst Joe McColgan, who ran against Borski in '90 and '96, said that he would be a candidate in 2006 if the Dems were to win the seat this past election. These comments were made during the GOP primary.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #884 on: January 23, 2005, 04:32:39 AM »

Wasn't there a fraud case that Katz lost, just after the election?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #885 on: January 23, 2005, 11:35:56 AM »

Wasn't there a fraud case that Katz lost, just after the election?

I'm not sure how that case went. I know there were cases before the election that I think they said Katz was actually the victim of fraud.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #886 on: January 23, 2005, 06:19:13 PM »

Big questions:

1) Is Schwartz beatable? NO!
2) Will Sam Katz run? NO
3) If Katz does run, can he beat Schwartz? Possible
4) If Schwartz is beatable, are there any candidates besides Katz that can beat her? Bruce Castor would keep it close.  John Taylor or Denny O'Brien would tighten, but not win NE Philly and get crushed in Montco.  Safe to say, 2004 was "Custer's Last Stand" here for the GOP.  GOP need to worry about PA 6 and 8 and potentially PA 7 upon Curt Weldon's retirement!
Yes and Yes because there will no no credible candidates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #887 on: January 23, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »

Big questions:

1) Is Schwartz beatable? NO!
2) Will Sam Katz run? NO
3) If Katz does run, can he beat Schwartz? Possible
4) If Schwartz is beatable, are there any candidates besides Katz that can beat her? Bruce Castor would keep it close.  John Taylor or Denny O'Brien would tighten, but not win NE Philly and get crushed in Montco.  Safe to say, 2004 was "Custer's Last Stand" here for the GOP.  GOP need to worry about PA 6 and 8 and potentially PA 7 upon Curt Weldon's retirement!
Yes and Yes because there will no no credible candidates.

O'Brien and Taylor could win the NE but Montco would go for Schwartz. PA 6 is a concern. If Murphy can do that well, Republicans have to be alittle worried. PA 7 is not a worry for me, even with a Weldon retirement.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #888 on: January 24, 2005, 12:51:26 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2005, 01:02:15 AM by Flyers2005 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What is this sick obsession with hating Montco?  You know there are still some conservatives there along with a fair number of Toomeyites.  Left of liberal? Hardly!  Ok, I'm not Evan Bayh or Bob Casey, but I consider myself a DLC type Dem.  I am a left-leaning Torsella supporter, not a far leftie.  Look over some of my positions before you post this.  You are right to a point.  The Montgomery County portion of PA 13 is a better ideological fit for me economically and even moreso socially.  I am more open for trade than your average NE Philadelphian and I share many of their views on things like welfare/Section 8 reform.  Socially, I know I'm farther left than a fair number of people here.  I don't share the zeal for tough police enforcement many do up here, I oppose the death penalty, I'm pro-choice except partial-birth and even then I'd allow it for life and health of the mother (rare cases), I favor marijuana legalization.       
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #889 on: January 24, 2005, 12:58:44 AM »

{quote]
New Progressive isn't too leftie for you. Flyers, you're not a left wing extremist but you're left of liberal. It's like in the PA 13 parts of Montco. You'd fit in very well there. NE Philly....no way. We're socially conservative and if Brown would have ran a better campaign, she probably would have won here.

What is this sick obsession with hating Montco?  You know there are still some conservatives there along with a fair number of Toomeyites.  Left of liberal? Hardly!  Ok, I'm not Evan Bayh or Bob Casey, but I consider myself a DLC type Dem.  I am a left-leaning Torsella supporter, not a far leftie.  Look over some of my positions before you post this.  You are right to a point.  The Montgomery County portion of PA 13 is a better ideological fit for me economically and even moreso socially.  I am more open for trade than your average NE Philadelphian and I share many of their views on things like welfare/Section 8 reform.  Socially, I know I'm farther left than a fair number of people here.  I don't share the zeal for tough police enforcement many do up here, I oppose the death penalty, I'm pro-choice except partial-birth and even then I'd allow it for life and health of the mother (rare cases), I favor marijuana legalization.         

1) My dislike for Montco is to your dislike for Potter county. I like how when I bring up an area of the district suddenly it's a "sick obsession." We're talking PA 13 here. There are two parts: Montco and Philly. Montco is the socially liberal haven of the district so that's why I brought it up.

2) You are left of liberal. Not a far left winger (if you would actually read what I say you'd notice that I said that) but you certainly aren't a moderate like you'd like some to believe.

3) The views you listed are the exact reasons why I think you are left of liberal when compared to your average Northeast Philadelphian. Pro-Choice in most cases, against the death penalty, favoring marijuana legalization, etc.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #890 on: January 24, 2005, 01:00:17 AM »

{quote]
New Progressive isn't too leftie for you. Flyers, you're not a left wing extremist but you're left of liberal. It's like in the PA 13 parts of Montco. You'd fit in very well there. NE Philly....no way. We're socially conservative and if Brown would have ran a better campaign, she probably would have won here.

Ok, I'm not Evan Bayh or Bob Casey, but I consider myself a DLC type Dem.       

That's the exact reason why the DLC is a joke. Bayh and centrist views run the group yet people like yourself, Hillary Clinton and Schwartz are members.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #891 on: January 24, 2005, 01:07:03 AM »

1) My dislike for Montco is to your dislike for Potter county. I like how when I bring up an area of the district suddenly it's a "sick obsession." We're talking PA 13 here. There are two parts: Montco and Philly. Montco is the socially liberal haven of the district so that's why I brought it up.

2) You are left of liberal. Not a far left winger (if you would actually read what I say you'd notice that I said that) but you certainly aren't a moderate like you'd like some to believe.

3) The views you listed are the exact reasons why I think you are left of liberal when compared to your average Northeast Philadelphian. Pro-Choice in most cases, against the death penalty, favoring marijuana legalization, etc.

2.  Left of liberal, but not far leftie.. hmm?  Which politician(s) would you consider "left of liberal"?

3.  Left of liberal when comaped to your avg. NE Philadelphian might make sense.  On social issues, I wouldn't doubt that.  Some NE Philadelphians want a totalitarian police state and are borderline nut jobs about abortion and gay marriage.   
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #892 on: January 24, 2005, 01:10:26 AM »

2.  Left of liberal, but not far leftie.. hmm?  Which politician(s) would you consider "left of liberal"?

3.  Left of liberal when comaped to your avg. NE Philadelphian might make sense.  On social issues, I wouldn't doubt that.  Some NE Philadelphians want a totalitarian police state and are borderline nut jobs about abortion and gay marriage.   

Left of liberal - Howard Dean. He's not a far left winger like Kucinich, Barbara Lee or Bernie Sanders but he's not  your average liberal.

On social issues, there should be no doubt that you are left of liberal compared to an NE Philadelphian. This is a conservative area. We aren't "nut jobs" on abortion and gay marriage and the suggestion of a police state? Come on.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: January 24, 2005, 01:20:05 AM »

Left of liberal - Howard Dean. He's not a far left winger like Kucinich, Barbara Lee or Bernie Sanders but he's not  your average liberal.

On social issues, there should be no doubt that you are left of liberal compared to an NE Philadelphian. This is a conservative area. We aren't "nut jobs" on abortion and gay marriage and the suggestion of a police state? Come on.

Ok, now we have that cleared up as to what your opinion is.  In mine Rick Santorum is near the far right wing.  Not Coburn, DeMint, Lott, or Inhofe, but pretty close.  You may think he's a moderate, but IHMO he's not.  Moderates for me are Snowe, Specter, Chaffee, Schwarzenegger, etc.  You call them RINOs.  Then again I call the likes of Zell Miller, John Breaux, and Ben Nelson DINOs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #894 on: January 24, 2005, 01:21:22 AM »

Ok, now we have that cleared up as to what your opinion is.  In mine Rick Santorum is near the far right wing.  Not Coburn, DeMint, Lott, or Inhofe, but pretty close.  You may think he's a moderate, but IHMO he's not.  Moderates for me are Snowe, Specter, Chaffee, Schwarzenegger, etc.  You call them RINOs.  Then again I call the likes of Zell Miller, John Breaux, and Ben Nelson DINOs.

No way do I think Santorum is moderate. He's a conservative.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #895 on: January 24, 2005, 01:27:26 AM »

Read my post.  I said some are nut jobs.  Probably about 10-15%.  The again some neighborhoods in NE Philly are quite pro-choice and socially liebral.  "This is a conservative area"- I wouldn't go that far. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #896 on: January 24, 2005, 01:32:54 AM »

"This is a conservative area"- I wouldn't go that far. 

I would.  Smiley

There are parts of the Northeast that are socially conservative and fiscally conservative, Flyers. I don't think the Union hall type economic thoughts are as strong as you'd like to believe.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #897 on: January 24, 2005, 01:43:39 AM »

I would.  Smiley

There are parts of the Northeast that are socially conservative and fiscally conservative, Flyers. I don't think the Union hall type economic thoughts are as strong as you'd like to believe.

First sentence- Fox Chase, some areas near Holy Family College, east side of Knights Rd.  Far from the majority though.

Second sentence- Pretty strong though even among Republicans.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #898 on: January 24, 2005, 01:45:45 AM »

I would.  Smiley

First sentence- Fox Chase, some areas near Holy Family College, east side of Knights Rd.  Far from the majority though.

I love the fact that that's my area.  Smiley

I also understand that it's not the majority.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #899 on: January 24, 2005, 01:48:39 AM »

One thing I don't get with this area in general though.  It seems the more affluent areas are more socially liberal in PA 13.  This also includes Bustleton, Pine Valley, and Somerton as well along with Montco.  This is of course a generalization.     
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies