HB 18-3: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:59:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 18-3: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 18-3: Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act (Passed)  (Read 2076 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »

Previous attempts to raise the minimum wage at this level have been rightfully struck down (even people in left wing parties voted against it) because we have already seen an increase in the federal minimum wage. If a region wants to set a higher minimum wage, nothing stops them from doing so, and this is ultimately where the issue needs to be taken care of. A $15 minimum wage does not work everywhere, nor should we be forcing areas where it isn't feasible to abide by this. It will only hurt workers in those areas, not help them.

It is also worth mentioning that a $15 minimum wage, this will cause prices of goods and services to go up to ensure employers can remain in business, especially in places where an employer can't afford to pay that much. In areas where people are already poor, this means it becomes harder for them to obtain the same items they need because they can no longer afford it.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »

I don't see why you are wasting time on this, Jimmy.

You voted to table a bill just a few months ago that aimed to raise the minimum wage (which is already higher in game than IRL). You clearly agreed at the time that this was best left to the regions. One of the other Labor Representatives in this chamber as well as the Peace Representative also voted to table it for the same reasons, TSA and Razze.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=313085.0
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »

I'd like to hear from the Representatives that voted to table the last minimum wage bill that allowed for a decent minimum wage that was reasonable enough that the regions could go higher if they wished but are now supporting this.

You don't get to skate by on this bill without answering.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »

These are very legitimate concerns, that we seriously need to hear from supporters of this, especially ones who voted to table the last minimum wage bill, why this should be supported now instead of leaving it to the regions as they agreed to a few months ago.

It has been almost 3 days and none of those representatives have addressed this concern, despite a couple of them having posted on this thread.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »

I guess it's fair to say no one, including the sponsor, is going to bother addressing these concerns?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »

Regardless of what the "compromise" is, I still cant support raising the federal minimum wage above it's current level. It's best for the regions to decide because they have a better grasp of what works for the people there.

Contrary to what the left thinks, throwing more money at a problem across the board doesn't actually fix things, especially for poor people. In the end, trying to regulate this more at the federal level will hurt more people than you are trying to help. There is nothing compassionate about this attempt.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

Regardless of what the "compromise" is, I still cant support raising the federal minimum wage above it's current level. It's best for the regions to decide because they have a better grasp of what works for the people there.

Contrary to what the left thinks, throwing more money at a problem across the board doesn't actually fix things, especially for poor people. In the end, trying to regulate this more at the federal level will hurt more people than you are trying to help. There is nothing compassionate about this attempt.
Ultimately I think you will be hard pressed to find a place where 10$ a hour can meet all of your needs, especially if you are a mother or father etc, 12$ is a pretty good starting place and then the regions can decide if they want to go higher based on increments or county or what have you.

There are quite a few places in the South and Midwest where $10/hour does meet people's needs. Many of those places also have quite a few small businesses operating in their communities. What happens when you raise the minimum wage at the federal level, especially at that rate and with just a few months to switch to these pay increases, is those small businesses have to make a choice. They can raise prices, which hurts poor communities because that "extra money" they make doesn't help them if prices go up, or they can save money by either firing people or bumping them down to part time so that they can at least save money by not having to offer benefits.

You may think what you are doing is compassionate, and sure, your heart might be in the right place on this issue. But in reality, all you are doing is hurting the very people you claim you're trying to help.

Raising the minimum wage should never be a federal issue because it's not the best route to go to help these communities. It never has been, and it never will be.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:54:45 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2019, 03:00:31 PM by Representative fhtagn »

I am also curious as to why Jimmy is fine with the amendment that changes it to $12/hour in less than a year when he voted to table a bill that would make it to the same amount in 2 years.

If the last minimum wage bill was too radical for you 3 months ago, how is this not too radical for you now?

I shouldn't have to ask this so many times, but it appears the sponsor has no interest in doing his job.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »

LIVING WAGE ACT OF 2018

SENATE BILL

to provide for fair compensation for working people

Be it enacted by both houses of Congress assembled:
SECTION 1.

1.  This Act may be cited as the “Living Wage Act of 2018”.

SECTION 2.

1. Every employer shall pay to each of their employees a wage not less than $11.00 for every hour of labor rendered.
2. The above shall take effect two months after passage.
3. This minimum wage shall increase by $0.50 on January 1 of each year until it reaches the equivalent of $12.50 in 2018 Atlasian Dollars (indexed to inflation).
4. From this point onwards, it shall be annually indexed to inflation.

On the motion to table, here is how current Representatives voted:

So for those Representatives who voted to table the Living Wage Act of 2018, but are now supporting the Federal Minimum Wage Policy Act, it would really be in your best interest to actually answer why you support a more radical bill when the last one clearly didn't earn your support.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »

It should be $15 but $12 works for me

So why did you vote in favor of tabling the last minimum wage bill, just 3 months ago?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:36:09 PM »

I guess both Jimmy and Razze have made clear that addressing concerns about why they voted down the last bill but support this one is just too hard.

It's especially disappointing since as sponsor of the bill, it's Jimmy's job to defend it. With as much time as he's spent elsewhere on the forum and on discord, he has no excuse for failing to comment on this.

And with that, I'm objecting to the final vote.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies