Openly LGBT VP for Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:56:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Openly LGBT VP for Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Openly LGBT VP for Clinton?  (Read 1989 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »

Are there any prominent LGBT politicians who could be considered serious contenders for Vice President in 2016? 

While it seems like the GOP base would not tolerate an openly LGBT VP nominee in 2016, is it something that Hillary Clinton could look into as a way to energize a growing, vocal portion of the Democratic base?

The two likeliest LGBT VP nominees for Clinton I could think of would be either Tammy Baldwin or Jared Polis.  Baldwin is unlikely to be on a national ticket because Scott Walker would be able to fill her Senate seat with a Republican appointment, and I think its unlikely that Clinton would tap another woman.

However, Polis is a new, fresh face that Clinton will need on the campaign trail.  He will carry a large appeal to Sanders-type Democrats and LGBTs, and he hails from an important swing state, Colorado, where Clinton tends to poll poorly.  However, I think he's known to be pretty personally abrasive, has never been exposed to the national spotlight and thus could prove to be a loose cannon, and is several steps to the left of the Democrats' ideological center (which could make it difficult for Clinton to co-opt him into her campaign).  Moreover, it seems like he might be perfectly happy climbing his ranks within the House.

Any other LGBT politicians who could find their way onto a major-party ticket in 2016?     
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies